What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

I wasn't going to bother with this, came out back in 2018.

Then last week I saw a copy for £8. Still sealed.

Sounds pretty great actually.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Weekend - La Varieté

R-783863-1426227024-3144.jpeg.jpg

I was a big fan of The Young Marble Giants so when they broke up and Alsion Statton formed Weekend, I was natuarlly curious.

This is their only studio album. Alison has two studio albums I'm aware of and they are both superb and totally different. YMG were melodic and rhythmic post punk where the spaces were as important as the sounds and only half of their material was actually songs. (The XX really should pay their dues)

This is sort of lounge jazz but in a typical post-punk fashion unlike anything before or after it. Alison's voice is a thing of wonder, It's a true one off. Beautiful would be an apt description

I have played this many many times in the last 38 years and my vinyl copy is still in absolutely fantastic condition. It's worth less than a tenner at todays prices and there are seemingly a lot of copies out there. Go score yourself one, you will not regret it.

Syvian Czukay - Plight & Premonition, Flux & Motability

Originally released as two separate albums, this was re-released as a double in 2018. One track per side and the track titles are the album name

A masterpiece in ambience from the former Can and Japan players. Thoroughly recommended, it's sort of like Spirit of Eden on mogadon

R-12173170-1530000373-4122.jpeg.jpg

Possibly one of the last bands that John Peel got me into (Though I could be wrong)

Sigur Rós ‎– Ágætis Byrjun

For me this was the first record of theirs I heard, I was simply spellbound by Svefn-g-englar

I've owned it on CD ever since but a few years back (2015?) I bought this 180g double album "Audiophile quality" repress and it is a great pressing of the album (it also includes the CD)

R-6589854-1422692821-7580.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

And finishing me off tonight is some trippy yet rocky psyche from Josefin Ohrn and the Liberation - Sacred Dreams

From last year on Blue and Black splattered "psyche" vinyl

Another album on Rocket Recordings, I'm always a bit shocked when I realise a record is on Rocket as it takes me a bit by surprise. I've bought every one I own because I like the record and I only realise its on Rocket when I get to the shop or even when I get home. Always well packaged with longevity in mind, not getting a Rocket Record in a protective sleeve is rare. Their roster of artists is great. Fast becoming my favourite label without trying

R-13542232-1556196856-5146.jpeg.jpg

First up today, is the finest political post-punk from Birmingham

The Au Pairs - Playing with a Different Sex

This is one of those records I do have two copies of, in this case deliberately. I have an original first pressing from the day of release with the closed groove at the end of side two but that is rather precious to me so I bought a repress in 2015.

I remember clearly the day it came out, bunking off the last two lessons of school (PE - feigned sickness), straight on the 52 to town and bought it in Virgin I think. I managed to get home before my parents so they were none the wiser. I then played it over and over again. My first impression was that I didn't like it, they'd made it all shiney and the roughness wasn't there from all the singles that preceeded it. By the end of the night, I'd got over that. Though even to this day I prefer the single version of It's Obvious. They should have left that off the album imo. But that shiney bit was the production and as time has gone on, I really have come to appreciate it. I think it set a standard for Post-Punk bands to follow. The amazing thing is, it's self-produced with a little help from the engineers. The spaces say as much as the noise

This album will never leave me, I will never tire of it even though they are singing about the politics of the late 70's / early 80's (H Blocks etc). This record is part of my DNA I think.

R-539101-1153505736.jpeg.jpg

Now I've moved onto the next year, Post-Punk and Manchester this time

Fac 55. A Certain Ratio - Sextet

Again original first pressing from the week of release. Still in original plastic sleeve andthe insert still in very good condition

By far my favourite ACR release. For me ACR are a one song at a time band, complete albums are a bit much except this one, this one gets the balance right. Definitely their best album for me. Funky but without being overtly dance music, its a groove not full of dancefloor songs (I doubt you could dance to any of this)

This album is still very much in tune with me today

Tbh, I think I bought it because I like the cover

R-12172-1512990864-9830.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Staying in 1982 but moving down to that there London and my beloved On-U SOund

The Dub Syndicate - The Pounding System On-U LP18

Dub Syndicate later became Style Scott's vehicle but this album doesn't feature him at all, just an amalgum of the On-U posse at the time

This is another strand in the Post-punk thing, reggae and Jamaican Dub was always part of the punk scene. PIL's Metal Box and the later Clash albums are testimony to that, this is home grown UK Dub but with all the punk attitude.

R-173283-1385393811-2618.jpeg.jpg

Bit of a nostalgia trip today whilst preparing some learning aids for the kid’s Taekwondo gradings. 

Hope of the States - The Lost Riots

Cooper Temple Clause - Kick Up The Fire and Let The Flames Break Loose

Mansun - Attack Of The Grey Lanterns

All of them absolutely superb! 

• Like 1

On 26/02/2020 at 12:58, blandy said:

bigthief_twohands.jpg

@blandy been listening to this a fair bit - very nice indeed 

you should (if you haven’t already) check out Black Belt Eagle Scout who is similar but different enough too! 

really love her track Soft Stud. 

• Thanks 1

The others have decided to work in a different room.

49696929481_527b6f60c0.jpg

I was giving them that full on tschk tschk tschk bleed of sound through the headphones, just like they were next to me on a bus or train, just to try and keep everything as normal as possible. Except on this bus, you can move to the living room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

@blandy been listening to this a fair bit - very nice indeed 

you should (if you haven’t already) check out Black Belt Eagle Scout who is similar but different enough too! 
really love her track Soft Stud. 

She’s on my list to buy. Local record shop didn’t have it on my last trip.

• Like 1

Â