What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

I've been meaning to give that Billie Eilish release a listen. I remember a few years ago Charli XCX posting about her on her instagram, she was virtually unheard of back then, you could count her followers on instagram in the thousands, now it's the tens of millions, and she's currently one of the biggest pop stars on the planet.  Also noticable about the list is that Dark Side of the Moon, is the only one that I've listened to, although I'm guessing there's a good chance I've heard every song on Queen's Greatest Hits.

9 hours ago, useless said:

I've been meaning to give that Billie Eilish release a listen. I remember a few years ago Charli XCX posting about her on her instagram, she was virtually unheard of back then, you could count her followers on instagram in the thousands, now it's the tens of millions, and she's currently one of the biggest pop stars on the planet.  Also noticable about the list is that Dark Side of the Moon, is the only one that I've listened to, although I'm guessing there's a good chance I've heard every song on Queen's Greatest Hits.

yeah, I'd be confident I've heard everything on the Queen album.

As you'd expect, I've heard the Joy Division album, but have never owned it. Fleetwood Mac would be in my wife's collection somewhere.

The rest of it, including Bowie and Pink Floyd, no idea, never listened to any of it. I guess I might know stuff on the Bowie and Floyd. I guess.

I don't know that any of that means anything. It's more a case that it amazes me how many bands there must be producing and selling really quite small numbers. If the number 1 album achieved an average of around 600 sales a week across the UK, well then it's a precarious business for lots involved.

So when you see a dinked edition of Snapped Ankles and it boasts it's a limited edition of 400, that's probably all they would ever hope to sell anyway.

Hasta El Cielo

Dub remix of last year's Khruangbin album.

48265273462_9ae3a4123f.jpg

harking back to the stats up page, this is 'limited' to 3,000

so I'm gonna guess there's no real rush to pile on with this one...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I've been thinking about them and was wondering how they compiled their figures. As far as I'm aware, most of the Indies aren't chart return shops any more, I also suspect they shift more volume than HMV, the rest must be online sales from Amazon et al

Just now, bickster said:

I've been thinking about them and was wondering how they compiled their figures. As far as I'm aware, most of the Indies aren't chart return shops any more, I also suspect they shift more volume than HMV, the rest must be online sales from Amazon et al

It's a fair point. I believe Eggland was very successful for the Lovely Eggs, but I'd suspect a good portion of their sales were direct from their house via their own website, plus those sold at gigs that come with a chat and an autograph. I can't imagine many of the shops that stocked it were chart return shops.

Similarly, Super Furries 3 or 4 album release last year, I think they were only available via one website, but shifted about 600 in the first hour.

I don't imagine that many people wander in to those independent shops on less shiny streets and buy Queens Greatest Hits. I suspect that's been bought in HMV by someone that picked up a Crosley Cruiser turntable at the same time. Which incidentally, is the best piece of kit to play that album on.

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Not got it yet but looking to acquire Purple Mountains self titled album by ex Silver Jews man, David Berman. 

Yeah I had it in my hand earlier, but couldn't resist the double whammy of an album that was yellow with the word dub on it

It'll go in my little book of things to keep in mind when I need a quick fix

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, bickster said:

Someones broken into Rob's and posted a picture of something he'd never play on Rob's turntable then posted it on VT

I feel like this is an opportunity for the cool kids to respond in kind and post up some second hand Bon Jovi or Judas Priest.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Someones broken into Rob's and posted a picture of something he'd never play on Rob's turntable then posted it on VT

But...I like the Raconteurs, Brendan Benson is an underated artist

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I feel like this is an opportunity for the cool kids to respond in kind and post up some second hand Bon Jovi or Judas Priest.

But...I like Judas Priest.

Bon Jovi are boring wank though.

• Like 2

On 12/07/2019 at 15:26, chrisp65 said:

Hasta El Cielo

Dub remix of last year's Khruangbin album.

48265273462_9ae3a4123f.jpg

so I'm gonna guess there's no real rush to pile on with this one...

Couldn't find a yellow vinyl version today, had to settle for black, so there are definitely more than 3000 out there, so going back to those figures posted above, I think they are most definitely rubbish and taken from the sources suggested

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's nice meandering mellow dub btw

it is, speakers stacked on a chair on the patio whilst I potter around

started with that, and have basically worked my way through everything quiet and smooth that to hand

Moody Blues

Wee

Colorama

Curtis Mayfield

Impressions

been a cracking Sunday

• Like 1

Â