What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Really can't get past his IT Crowd persona. Matt Berry is one of those instant turn offs for me

I absolutely adore the bloke in everything he's ever done so not an issue for me.

The fact that he also makes such bloody good music and is an extremely talented multi-instrumentalist is just the cherry on the top ?

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I absolutely adore the bloke in everything he's ever done so not an issue for me.

The fact that he also makes such bloody good music and is an extremely talented multi-instrumentalist is just the cherry on the top ?

See for me, even the album cover screams comedy actor doing a parody. I would just never listen to it as a result

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

See for me, even the album cover screams comedy actor doing a parody. I would just never listen to it as a result

Yeah I understand what you mean re. The cover but it's definitely not a comedy album. It has some humour in the lyrics but It's not exactly the Grumbleweeds ?

6 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

... the Grumbleweeds ?

They made a Psych album. It's become difficult to get and it's not cheap!

It's arranged by Alan Hawkshaw, and guess which short, hairy, musician comedian was at the Alan Hawkshaw gig in the British Library.

R-4621211-1382878901-4518.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Xann said:

They made a Psych album. It's become difficult to get and it's not cheap!

It's arranged by Alan Hawkshaw, and guess which short, hairy, musician comedian was at the Alan Hawkshaw gig in the British Library.

R-4621211-1382878901-4518.jpeg.jpg

Haha no way! Your memory for the tenuously linked is remarkable Dave! ?

Edited by Designer1
Speeeling
  • Like 2

On 01/11/2018 at 14:45, Designer1 said:

The cherry on the Berry then?

(I hate myself for this).

Didn't think I'd ever be posting this but....

81D1orYEzSL._SL1200_.jpg

This album is actually really good, and not nearly as heavy as I was expecting it to be. Only listened to it on the off-chance after hearing a song I liked whilst going down a rabbit hole on the internet. So much Bowie influence in here. Always thought Manson's stuff was a bit shit, but his early stuff is good. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

FAO @Rugeley Villa ... 

“When Deep Purple are on top form, there is no other band that can rival that. You couldn’t put Led Zeppelin against Deep Purple on top form… they would disappear. And especially Black Sabbath, they wouldn’t stand a chance! It’s high energy at the top of its game". 

Opeth’s Mikael Åkerfeldt: 10 live albums that blew my mind

53 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think I’ve stated something like this on here before. Three brilliant bands, but all three completely different. When purple were on form , I’d imagine it would be very hard for the other two to compete such were the high energy levels they created. I put this mainly down to Blackmore, and Jon Lord. There was always tension in Deep Purple, which also added to the occasion. Zeppelin were huge, and their concerts were much bigger and more anticipated. Sabbath were less improvisation, and just mainly rocked out. Deep purple had plenty of improvisation, but didn’t have the light and shade that Zeppelin had, and weren’t as diverse either. I have heard some shows by Deep Purple that were lame, but it’s well acknowledged that when they were on, there weren’t many better. It all depends what kind of live show you like . I do have a Sabbath bootleg, which I think is better than Made In Japan by Purple. It’s from 1975 when Sabbath were at their peak as a live band. I’ve also got some shows by Zeppelin from early 70s that are just unreal. Purple were a live band, imo, where as the other two were much better studio bands, and made better albums. As for musicianship, Deep Purple were very good. I love Deep Purple, but they are definitely behind the other two in terms of who I prefer. Sabbath were slow and doomy, where as Purple were like lightening. That in itself will make a difference when playing live. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 2

Sabbath tried a few times in the 70s to release a live album, but they were never happy with the tapes. They couldn’t quite get their sound to transfer over well enough on tape. That lead a well know music journalist at the time, to say, you had to be there in person to appreciate Sabbath live. 

Just now, rjw63 said:

Heads up for @chrisp65...Super Furry Animals releasing "Rings Around The World" on double pink& purple vinyl with bonus 7"

That track is actually my favourite of theirs

Thanks for the tip off.... but appears to be dubious license from Sony and not from the original tapes (I think the guy that has the tapes knows he hasn't released them, they're still under his bed, so says it must be from a CD quality copy).

It's weird, it's a legit label, but the band knew nothing about it.

Do you get any slightly sub Beach Boys vibe from any of their stuff? In the most tenuous way. They quote Feel Flows as a big influence.

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Thanks for the tip off.... but appears to be dubious license from Sony and not from the original tapes (I think the guy that has the tapes knows he hasn't released them, they're still under his bed, so says it must be from a CD quality copy).

It's weird, it's a legit label, but the band knew nothing about it.

Do you get any slightly sub Beach Boys vibe from any of their stuff? In the most tenuous way. They quote Feel Flows as a big influence.

Rings Around The World, yes. I'm not really up on a lot of their stuff, just a casual listener. Let's just say I don't switch channels if they come on (like paedo Jacko or Def Leppard) :)

Â