What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

sort of a different rolling stones

it's still a tribute band, but like, a tribute to what it must have been like in the studio before 6 months of nob twiddling

The reason I asked is that I don't have the 'old' version, but I've heard it, and sort of of like it, simply because it DOES sound like the Stones. But I might consider buying this new version instead. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

The reason I asked is that I don't have the 'old' version, but I've heard it, and sort of of like it, simply because it DOES sound like the Stones. But I might consider buying this new version instead. 

I'm not a big Stones fan, I've got one greatest hits CD. I don't particularly like their early stuff, I certainly don't like their later stuff.

But there's a sweet spot, late 60's early 70's where there's half a dozen songs I really like.

Primal Scream are capable of sounding similar to that when they want to (they're equally good when they choose not to, which makes the tribute band thing a bit odd). The old version I think you've heard was great, but massively produced by George Clinton, to make it sound more..... George Clinton.

This version is the same album, but produced by Tom Dowd. I think you'd prefer it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm not a big Stones fan, I've got one greatest hits CD. I don't particularly like their early stuff, I certainly don't like their later stuff.

But there's a sweet spot, late 60's early 70's where there's half a dozen songs I really like.

Pretty much received wisdom for everybody, that. Let It Bleed to Exile On Main Street. 

I'm definitely a Tom Dowd man more than a George Clinton man, so I'll check this out. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Pretty much received wisdom for everybody, that. Let It Bleed to Exile On Main Street. 

I'm definitely a Tom Dowd man more than a George Clinton man, so I'll check this out. 

I listened to it a few times last night in the car and I really don't ever want to take the drugs Gillespie took that made him decide this version was crap

• Like 1

R-223354-1381947085-7813.jpeg.jpg

First pressing from 1977 of Wire's hugely influential Pink Flag with Green EMI Harvest labels and rounded corners in Inner Sleeve

It has too many scratches on it to be too valuable but still plays fine with a few pops here and there

• Like 1

GM_WLR_CD_bb63ecb0-19f8-463b-ac2a-9c3e4d

Derivative and generic rock to the majority but I’ve always really loved Godsmack for some reason much like Disturbed. They’ve just always stuck to their guns and the fans love it in spite of the naysayers. I’ve always thought they deserved better recognition and Sully will always have one of the best voices in rock for me. 

All of the band are in their mid 50’s now which makes me feel old. Jeez. Anyway, if you like them you know what you are getting. I do and I love this album.

Been casually listening to the band ‘Ghost ‘ the last few days. I’ve always been meaning to give them a go, because I just like their image, and the whole theme of the band. I’m glad to say I really like them. I shall be getting their albums this week. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Been casually listening to the band ‘Ghost ‘ the last few days. I’ve always been meaning to give them a go, because I just like their image, and the whole theme of the band. I’m glad to say I really like them. I shall be getting their albums this week. 

Good man.

14 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You should have seen the uproar when they got the support slot for Iron Maiden.

I'd pay to see Ghost (have already), I'd pay to send Iron Maiden far away.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

You should have seen the uproar when they got the support slot for Iron Maiden.

I'd pay to see Ghost (have already), I'd pay to send Iron Maiden far away.

Yes, i’ll Keep an eye out for their uk dates. Maiden just don’t do it for me at all. Me and my wife had a long drive up to the Lake District a few months back. She likes iron maiden, so she grabbed one of their cds out of my cd collection ‘The Number Of The Beast’. It’s the first time I’ve ever listened to an album of of theirs all the way through. Considered by many to be one of the best metal albums, and one of their best. What a load of boring shite it was. Filler album at best. I’d probably go to watch them if I had a free ticket, or a cheap ticket, but, no, not for me. Early Metallica blow them away. 

• Like 1

Maiden are a weird one for me, I love 50% of their songs and can’t stand the other half. Don’t mind them though. Fear of the Dark will always be a fantastic song and my favourite.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

OT but the worst Queen album by far. Several terrible tracks.

Says a man who has never heard "Hot Space"

Harsh imo. It may have spawned the most singles of any one album IIRC. And it ages better than The Highlander soundtrack I reckon. (Rain must fall is terrible I'll give you that!)

Queen I and Queen II are no great shakes imo. Hot Space is easily the worst though.

Anyway brought it here rather than the Saudi thread :thumb:

Whereas I'm actually listening to this

laura_marling_short_movie_01.jpg&f=1

Edited by VILLAMARV
EDIT - It's The Miracle we're on about by the way

6 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Queen I and Queen II are no great shakes imo. 

Queen I and Queen II are far and away the best things they ever did. The only ones worth having, in fact. 

23 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yes, i’ll Keep an eye out for their uk dates. Maiden just don’t do it for me at all. Me and my wife had a long drive up to the Lake District a few months back. She likes iron maiden, so she grabbed one of their cds out of my cd collection ‘The Number Of The Beast’. It’s the first time I’ve ever listened to an album of of theirs all the way through. Considered by many to be one of the best metal albums, and one of their best. What a load of boring shite it was. Filler album at best. I’d probably go to watch them if I had a free ticket, or a cheap ticket, but, no, not for me. Early Metallica blow them away. 

Ghost have been announced as support Metallica at their arena dates in June next year (Manchester and London). If there was a more local show would definitely see - however Ghost are definitely the better live band and would prefer them to have a longer set list. 

However Ghost have announced a European Tour in February 2019 which has about a weeks gap suspiciously in the middle of the dates at the moment so maybe watch this space... 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Ghost have been announced as support Metallica at their arena dates in June next year (Manchester and London). If there was a more local show would definitely see - however Ghost are definitely the better live band and would prefer them to have a longer set list. 

However Ghost have announced a European Tour in February 2019 which has about a weeks gap suspiciously in the middle of the dates at the moment so maybe watch this space... 

Yeah I know they are supporting Metallica, but I’m not bothering with that. Also saw that they have European dates, but no UK, as of yet. 

9 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Says a man who has never heard "Hot Space"

Harsh imo. It may have spawned the most singles of any one album IIRC. And it ages better than The Highlander soundtrack I reckon. (Rain must fall is terrible I'll give you that!)

Queen I and Queen II are no great shakes imo. Hot Space is easily the worst though.

Anyway brought it here rather than the Saudi thread :thumb:

Ironically as a brass player if I find Hot Space kinda interesting. Mercury was obviously going for something along the lines of what MJ had just done with "Off the Wall" - they had very similar brass sounds. He had met and recorded with MJ in LA before they went into the studio to record Hot Space. Maybe if Quincy Jones had produced HS it would have turned out differently. I understand why most people, even Queen fans really dislike it though.

'The Works' came next which I think is a really solid album and I also really like the majority of Kind of Magic.

Sometime after Magic is when I started listening to Queen so Miracle was the 1st album I had waited for. Wow - those cheap Korg M1 sounds everywhere. That 'orchestral hit' bended on 'Invisible Man' is so tacky and the bass sound on 'Breakthru' is like a 13 year old got excited in Christmas day with his new toy - just dreadful. What's funny i s that they used DX7's on Kinda of Magic and it didn't take over the whole album. I think the Miracle has aged terribly and I think I read that the band were very disappointed in it - thats why with 'Innuendo' they went back to a more traditional use of rock instruments. Anyway each to their own!

Regarding the old stuff - I would agree with Mike that 1 & 2 are interesting albums and I think their 3rd album Sheer Heart Attack is my favorite overall.

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Ironically as a brass player if I find Hot Space kinda interesting. Mercury was obviously going for something along the lines of what MJ had just done with "Off the Wall" - they had very similar brass sounds. He had met and recorded with MJ in LA before they went into the studio to record Hot Space. Maybe if Quincy Jones had produced HS it would have turned out differently. I understand why most people, even Queen fans really dislike it though.

'The Works' came next which I think is a really solid album and I also really like the majority of Kind of Magic.

Sometime after Magic is when I started listening to Queen so Miracle was the 1st album I had waited for. Wow - those cheap Korg M1 sounds everywhere. That 'orchestral hit' bended on 'Invisible Man' is so tacky and the bass sound on 'Breakthru' is like a 13 year old got excited in Christmas day with his new toy - just dreadful. What's funny i s that they used DX7's on Kinda of Magic and it didn't take over the whole album. I think the Miracle has aged terribly and I think I read that the band were very disappointed in it - thats why with 'Innuendo' they went back to a more traditional use of rock instruments. Anyway each to their own!

Regarding the old stuff - I would agree with Mike that 1 & 2 are interesting albums and I think their 3rd album Sheer Heart Attack is my favorite overall.

Don't know how to respond to this. You thrash TM, which is one of my favourite albums (Was it all worth it is one of their best none single songs ever), and then you go on to say that Sheer heart attack is your favourite. Mine too. And Queen and Queen II are excellent. I like HS too. But then again, the only album I don't like is FG soundtrack. Listened to it in the car yesterday. It can hardly count for an album.

Â