Xann

What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Recommended Posts

So, this Primal Scream 'premix'. Does it sound less, or more, like The Rolling Stones? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So, this Primal Scream 'premix'. Does it sound less, or more, like The Rolling Stones? 

sort of a different rolling stones

it's still a tribute band, but like, a tribute to what it must have been like in the studio before 6 months of nob twiddling

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

sort of a different rolling stones

it's still a tribute band, but like, a tribute to what it must have been like in the studio before 6 months of nob twiddling

The reason I asked is that I don't have the 'old' version, but I've heard it, and sort of of like it, simply because it DOES sound like the Stones. But I might consider buying this new version instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mjmooney said:

The reason I asked is that I don't have the 'old' version, but I've heard it, and sort of of like it, simply because it DOES sound like the Stones. But I might consider buying this new version instead. 

I'm not a big Stones fan, I've got one greatest hits CD. I don't particularly like their early stuff, I certainly don't like their later stuff.

But there's a sweet spot, late 60's early 70's where there's half a dozen songs I really like.

Primal Scream are capable of sounding similar to that when they want to (they're equally good when they choose not to, which makes the tribute band thing a bit odd). The old version I think you've heard was great, but massively produced by George Clinton, to make it sound more..... George Clinton.

This version is the same album, but produced by Tom Dowd. I think you'd prefer it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm not a big Stones fan, I've got one greatest hits CD. I don't particularly like their early stuff, I certainly don't like their later stuff.

But there's a sweet spot, late 60's early 70's where there's half a dozen songs I really like.

Pretty much received wisdom for everybody, that. Let It Bleed to Exile On Main Street. 

I'm definitely a Tom Dowd man more than a George Clinton man, so I'll check this out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Pretty much received wisdom for everybody, that. Let It Bleed to Exile On Main Street. 

I'm definitely a Tom Dowd man more than a George Clinton man, so I'll check this out. 

I listened to it a few times last night in the car and I really don't ever want to take the drugs Gillespie took that made him decide this version was crap

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-223354-1381947085-7813.jpeg.jpg

First pressing from 1977 of Wire's hugely influential Pink Flag with Green EMI Harvest labels and rounded corners in Inner Sleeve

It has too many scratches on it to be too valuable but still plays fine with a few pops here and there

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GM_WLR_CD_bb63ecb0-19f8-463b-ac2a-9c3e4d

Derivative and generic rock to the majority but I’ve always really loved Godsmack for some reason much like Disturbed. They’ve just always stuck to their guns and the fans love it in spite of the naysayers. I’ve always thought they deserved better recognition and Sully will always have one of the best voices in rock for me. 

All of the band are in their mid 50’s now which makes me feel old. Jeez. Anyway, if you like them you know what you are getting. I do and I love this album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites