What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think I may embark on a new “where stuff goes on the shelves” arrangement and do it by genre instead of ‘betically.

I've had this thought recently for probably exactly the same reasons

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

I've had this thought recently for probably exactly the same reasons

I’d definitely do it, but it’s the time it’ll take and also the “what genre do I put this under” dilemmas that will crop up, no doubt. But it’s getting trickier to find stuff at times now. Like today, I was thinking Lee Scratch Perry, what else have I got of his, apart from his own stuff? If it was all under Reggae or dub…easy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I’d definitely do it, but it’s the time it’ll take and also the “what genre do I put this under” dilemmas that will crop up, no doubt. But it’s getting trickier to find stuff at times now. Like today, I was thinking Lee Scratch Perry, what else have I got of his, apart from his own stuff? If it was all under Reggae or dub…easy

Yep, exactly those reasons and dilemas

Didn’t manage to go into a record shop in Lincoln yesterday, but did go into an antiques and collectables shop, which had some records in there. Came out with 3 for £25 which isn’t too bad for what I got. Could have easily had bought more. Anyway this is one of them...Robin Trower , For Earth Below 

5B16A19A-95D4-4069-B7B5-6F6373BE509F.jpeg

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Didn’t manage to go into a record shop in Lincoln yesterday, but did go into an antiques and collectables shop, which had some records in there. Came out with 3 for £25 which isn’t too bad for what I got. Could have easily had bought more. Anyway this is one of them...Robin Trower , For Earth Below 

5B16A19A-95D4-4069-B7B5-6F6373BE509F.jpeg

I used to work in Our Price in Lincoln. It has long long gone. 

12 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You from that way are you?

No not at all but I used to live in Lincoln so knew it back at the start of the 90s. Also worked/lived in skegness for a number of years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daweii said:

rancid-wolves.jpg

...And Out Come The Wolves by Rancid

Love the shit out of that album.

I saw them live when they toured it and it was a wonderful high energy joyous occasion.

Pity they never really hit the same level again.

• Like 2

AFI - Bodies

image.png.c082b97139d575a923bb4448eaeebd3f.png

Not the weird different exciting band I loved 20 years ago during Days of the Phoenix and Sing the Sorrow but still damn more talented and interesting than most. While I wish they were still a bit more dark and gothic I get they aren’t the same people they once were anymore and are getting on a bit age wise. I really wish this band were more famous/popular than they are though, they never seem to quite push through to the top tier of bands.

Davey’s voice is so unique and remains so here. The sounds the band creates are great though. One second they are on the verge of something poppy and upbeat before going all desolate and heavy.

Bodies is a run of the mill modern day AFI album. A solid 6/10. Not as good as Burials but on a par with The Blood Album. 3 or 4 quality songs, a couple of good songs and the rest are solid filler. The best tracks are the opener Twisted Tongues which is just pure AFI and the closer Tied to a tree is a fantastic way to close an album out. While I hope one day they return to a darker punk sound I think those days are gone now. 

• Like 1

Got let down by Amazon  re: the CD box, still not due for at least two weeks.

But...Sound of Vinyl have come through with the vinyl box. **** magnificent and worth every penny.

This is the shit that makes record collecting worthwhile :)

spacer.png

• Like 2

I'm finding Senjutsu very, very hard going. For a band with such a magnificent back catalogue as Maiden's, it's hard to compete with the classics, so it suffers by comparison. Much the same as Book Of Souls, it has some good moments, but every song seems to be at least double the length it needed to be. Bit of a slog, and not a single song I'd be desperate to see live. Hopefully it's a grower.

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'm finding Senjutsu very, very hard going. For a band with such a magnificent back catalogue as Maiden's, it's hard to compete with the classics, so it suffers by comparison. Much the same as Book Of Souls, it has some good moments, but every song seems to be at least double the length it needed to be. Bit of a slog, and not a single song I'd be desperate to see live. Hopefully it's a grower.

I have a huge collection of rock and metal, but can't stand Maiden and their "galloping" style of music.

Preferred them in the early days with DiAnno

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Heard this after listen to the cover of Highway to hell he did with Springsteen and Vedder.  Guy's a genius. 

Love him in Audioslave, fantastic if short-lived band.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I have a huge collection of rock and metal, but can't stand Maiden and their "galloping" style of music.

Preferred them in the early days with DiAnno

I wouldn’t say I dislike them, but I’m not a big fan even though I class myself as a big rock fan.  They bore me after a few songs .

• Like 1

On 25/08/2021 at 15:01, Seat68 said:

@mjmooney I listened to the new Sturgill Simpson album, the ballad of dood and Juanita, a few times yesterday and enjoyed it immensely. It's much closer to Tom Russell's, the rose of roscrae than any of Simpsons other work. You may not feel it as you are more aware of Tom Russell's work than I am, but definitely recommend giving it a blast. 

Yeah, I've heard it, it's good. Tom often namechecks Sturgill Simpson on gigs. I find SS's style is closer to Waylon Jennings (which is no bad thing, obvs). 

EDIT: Downside is that, like most concept/story albums, it's fun the first time, but doesn't really bear repeated listens. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

Today is apparently We Love Records Stores Day and there are special releases for it. Sounds rather familiar I think. This is one of them. A speculative purchase but based on the people involved

Immersion are Colin Newman from Wire and Malka Spiegel from Minimal Compact. This is a double 10" album with three tracks per side. Each side has a different collaborator

Side 1 - Tarwater

Side 2 - Laetitia Sadier (Stereolab)

Side 3 - Ulrich Schnauss

Side 4 - Scanner

Its experimental electronic downtempo post-rock I guess made up of bits of what you'd expect from each of the protagonists, it is very lovely but it does also seem to work as an album and has some cohesion across all the tracks and doesn't come across disjointed at all

Immersion - Nanocluster Volume 1

imm-230x230_230x.jpg?v=1629537063

(I'm hoping some other nerd will come along and stick it on Discogs this weekend, otherwise I'll have to)

Â