• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I have a terrible feeling not getting McClaren is going to come back and stick it up our colon.

Yep, to think that the board actually might have listened to the fans on who not to appoint is ludicrous and the fact that AM is coming settles my nerves on that aspect.

A lesson we continually seem to fail to learn is be careful what you wish for

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCleish is a much better manager than McClaren IMO, McClaren just never managed the scum.

McClaren's management record isn't actually that bad.

Decent results at Boro, Uefa Cup Final, won the league with FC Twente for the first time in their history. His spells at England and Wolsburg were not great admittedly, but with England he was let down with individual errors, and Wolfsburg he had a bloody awful bunch of players, it was a near impossible task to achieve what the fans wanted.

In light of all this McLeish stuff, I would welcome McLaren with open arms. At least he's a solid manager.

What McClaren has achieved is far beyond anything McLeish has done in the game.

Far beyond? Being a coach under Fergie is experience not achievement. Middlesborough on EUFA cup run was good, but with very low expectations on him. Winning the dutch league is equivalent to SPL in my opinion and AM did that twice then qualified Rangers to the last 16 of the CL first time for a scottish team to achieve that in the CL

AM did better the McClaren at international level IMO, to get so close to qualifying with big win over Italy.

Decent results at Boro, Uefa Cup Final, won the league with FC Twente for the first time in their history. His spells at England and Wolsburg were not great admittedly, but with England he was let down with individual errors, and Wolfsburg he had a bloody awful bunch of players, it was a near impossible task to achieve what the fans wanted.

In light of all this McLeish stuff, I would welcome McLaren with open arms. At least he's a solid manager.

Agree, McCleish makes McClaren look like the special one comparitvely speaking.

I'm so angry at myself for making a fuss about McClaren now as in hindsight I would take McClaren all day long if I knew it was going to come to this!

I'm getting even more angrier every second , i'm not violent by any means but every time i see his face i want to punch him.. lol (only joking mods)

he's a shite manager, shite priciples !!!! Can't wait to see what dross he buys....

A bit OTT IMHO. His managerial record isn't that bad with Rangers and Scotland and has good recommendations from Dick Advocat, Fergie. Ask Hibs and Rangers fans, his style of play was more attacking with more decent players available.

At Birmingham he inherited club 14 games in and 16th place, very difficult to turn around with that quality squad in your first season. Got straight back up though and last season had key injuries, new ownership didn't get on with and carling cup distraction. All facts that have to be added to the mix.

His time at Rangers ended with fans protesting against him because he'd been in charge for the longest winless run in the club's history. His spell as Scotland boss was mixed too; when the chips were down, they failed against Georgia and Italy, the same as Blues failed at the end of last season when trying to keep it tight.

And as for his first season at Blues, you don't need to turn anything around when you're 16th and trying to avoid relegation - more of the same and you're safe. Finishing 19th from that position isn't inevitable - it's poor.

Lipstick on a pig, I'm telling you.

So sky have just reported the 'within 24 hours' line....but I've just thought of something that lacks any sense what so ever.

Steve Mclarens talks were put on hold due to fan reactions on the net however Villa still hold talks with Mcleish despite the fans reaction on the net and protests at Villa park. We might as well of hired the 'wally with a brolly' if that's the case. If Mcleish is appointed that will stick in my mind...very contradictory indeed.

I actually think the club cancelled Mclarens talks because of either:-

1.We thought Martinez was in the bag

2. We got wind of Mcleish quitting -

You wouldn't not appoint Mclaren because of a fans backlash - then appoint Mcleish.

Well I'm only going on the reasons I've heard/been given. But you could be right too.

His managerial record isn't that bad with Rangers and Scotland

his managerial record with Rangers was bloody awful!

in a 2 horse-race, he finished 2nd more than 1st.

Worse than that, in a 2 horse race he managed to finish 3rd!

Martin O'Neill is the cancer that has blighted this club over the past couple of years.

Yawn

He was fired because he was a rocket polisher who spunked loads of money away on players and then ignored them.

Move on.

And your point is?

If people would move on, then the cancer would disappear, but there are pages and pages of fighting within this thread over Martin O'Neill.

That is why there is a cancer.

His managerial record isn't that bad with Rangers and Scotland

his managerial record with Rangers was bloody awful!

in a 2 horse-race, he finished 2nd more than 1st.

Won as many trophies as Martin Oneill up there. And MON was the man he was finishing 2nd too. Now we cannot deny Martin O'neils ability to get results!!

If the board had settled for 'middle of the road' then fair enough. There are cheap options out there, and they could do a decent job, solid midtable and all that, quite uninspiring but acceptable in times of cost-cutting.

The appointment of McLeish is not 'middle of the road' though. It's the site at the side of the road for the monumental car crash. The appointment of McLeish seems more like a '**** you, we make the decisions' to the fans than anything else. He has a poor management record, he has a poor record with his signings, he has a poor style of football, he has just come from a relegated club, he has just come from the club who scored the least goals in the league, he begins his tenure here with protests against his appointment, he will have the fans calling for his head at the first defeat, he will have fans boycotting games and merchandise leading to heavy drop in revenue, and he will cost us alot in compensation to bring all those wonderful things to our club. This is completely fogetting the Birmingham City link, which I can do - but he is a poor poor manager, and I am gutted our board honestly think this is a good decision.

It makes no sense, in a sense of business, financially, football or loyalty to the fans. Randy Lerner has been an amazing chairman up to this point, I've had friends (particularly Liverpool fans during Hicks and Gillette) who have said they were jealous of our chairman and what he was doing, he was improving not only the football club, but the image of the club with the surrounding areas and throwing in a load of charity work to boot; truely amazing stuff - and that could all be completely undone with this appointment. Expect a season of absolute turmoil, fans revolts, player revolts, players leaving, and that will inevitable lead to a relegation battle.

A bit OTT IMHO. His managerial record isn't that bad with Rangers and Scotland and has good recommendations from Dick Advocat, Fergie. Ask Hibs and Rangers fans, his style of play was more attacking with more decent players available.

At Birmingham he inherited club 14 games in and 16th place, very difficult to turn around with that quality squad in your first season. Got straight back up though and last season had key injuries, new ownership didn't get on with and carling cup distraction. All facts that have to be added to the mix.

I can see your clutching at straws here , have a look on Vital Villa they have a low down on AM record at all the clubs he's managed , its actually a real eye opener . Oh and refrence when he first took the bloose over yes they were 16th last time i checked 16th doesnt get u relegated while Steve Bruce took over Wigan who were pretty much screwed and led them to safety with 3 weeks of the season left . The bloose team that turned up at our place that season and lost 5-1 with him in charge was THE worst display i've ever seen from them at our place i mean they were that bad i almost felt sorry for them .

And as for him leading them back up the season after if Reading had actually turned up and done there fecking jobs on the last game of the season , he'd of proabably been sacked

McCleish is a much better manager than McClaren IMO, McClaren just never managed the scum.

Far beyond? Being a coach under Fergie is experience not achievement. Middlesborough on EUFA cup run was good, but with very low expectations on him. Winning the dutch league is equivalent to SPL in my opinion and AM did that twice then qualified Rangers to the last 16 of the CL first time for a scottish team to achieve that in the CL

AM did better the McClaren at international level IMO, to get so close to qualifying with big win over Italy.

12th, 11th, 11th, 7th, 14th

Uefa Cup final and League Cup trophy is pretty respectable.

McLeish's prem record, 19th, 9th, 18th ...

Also....the Scottish League is dominated by two clubs, he won the Holland league with FC Twente. If someone won the league with a team not rangers/celtic ...that'd be a huge achievement. So yes, winning the dutch league may not be amazing but the team he did it with was.

McClaren was about 5th in my list, McLeish didn't even feature on a list. I didn't even think it was plausable.

If we do get McLeish, it just doesn't make sense at all.

Nothing about the appointment is anything like what Randy Lerner has done in the past.

It would be a major change in the decision-making.. maybe Randy's been taken over by an alien host?

that is my only explanation.