• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I had a really sad moment last night with my 8 year old boy. I told him he couldn't have a new Villa shirt as I am not putting a penny into our club after this.

nice

I know but what's the alternative? Mindlessly handing over money when they have committed the biggest betrayal of Villa fans in my lifetime?

There are things Aston Villa Football Club should never do. Tapping up the manager of Birmingham City is one of them.

Yes, it´s probably best to take it out on your son... He is a kid FFS.

Exactly, it's your **** kid. He's a kid, if you usually buy him a shirt and were planning too this season, why should that be stopped?? you care more about Villa appointing a manager you don't like? :?

So what do you do then? Just keep doling out the money as if nothing has happened? For me, it becomes a matter of principle.

What do I do? well personally speaking, I keep going to Villa, I think this is a dire choice of management but I'm a fan of Aston Villa, I don't think any manager would stop me going from full stop or buying Villa shirts. Clearly you don't want to do that, so fair enough, your thoughts but why take it on your son?

You honestly would rather see your son upset because he can't get a shirt, just because you don't like a manager at Villa? I think that's quite sad, should be proud of being a Villa fan, not telling him he can't go to games or buy any stuff because you don't like the manager. Might as well just support another club to be honest.

Love how some of you lot think you've got an opinion on how he should treat his son. His money, his lad, he can do what the **** he wants if he feels that way. Jesus.

Top post.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You honestly would rather see your son upset because he can't get a shirt, just because you don't like a manager at Villa? I think that's quite sad, should be proud of being a Villa fan, not telling him he can't go to games or buy any stuff because you don't like the manager. Might as well just support another club to be honest.

Love how some of you lot think you've got an opinion on how he should treat his son. His money, his lad, he can do what the **** he wants if he feels that way. Jesus.

That's true but I also respect what they are saying - and can understand where they are coming from.

I suppose we are all going to react to this in different ways, but I just feel so disappointed in the way my club has acted I feel like I need to show some tangible way of expressing my pain - and the only way to really hurt them is in the pocket.

Anyway you are starting to make me feel guilty, so I will probably end up buying him the whole kit with a big 'MCLEISH' written on the back :D

So sky have just reported the 'within 24 hours' line....but I've just thought of something that lacks any sense what so ever.

Steve Mclarens talks were put on hold due to fan reactions on the net however Villa still hold talks with Mcleish despite the fans reaction on the net and protests at Villa park. We might as well of hired the 'wally with a brolly' if that's the case. If Mcleish is appointed that will stick in my mind...very contradictory indeed.

That's true but I also respect what they are saying - and can understand where they are coming from.

I suppose we are all going to react to this in different ways, but I just feel so disappointed in the way my club has acted I feel like I need to show some tangible way of expressing my pain - and the only way to really hurt them is in the pocket.

Anyway you are starting to make me feel guilty, so I will probably end up buying him the whole kit with a big 'MCLEISH' written on the back :D

Bloody hell you're still going to be punishing the lad :)

Steady on old chap. No need to go nuts now is there.........? :shock:

From Vital Villa ...worse than we thought:-

I feel the record needs setting straight on McLeish`s record in management as for anyone to think he has what it takes is deluded in my opinion. Maybe this will help some realise why we are so opposed to him being our manager.

Motherwell, Yes he had a bright start at Motherwell taking them to 2nd in the league before two season fighting relegation. Despite that second place finish he had a very poor average of 1.21 points per game. Good start, bad finish!

Hibernian, In fairness they were struggling when he took them over with three months of the season left. He was unable to get them to stay up and they were relegated in last place. He did a good job bringing them back up and then finished 6th out of ten teams the next season which is mid table but still an ok achievement. I should point out though that they were only four points from 2nd from bottom.. The next season he finished a very good third although 31 points behind the leaders it is still a very good improvement.

All going well but then in his last season he managed Hibernian into December leaving them in 8th and two points from relegation. Does anyone else see the pattern to this guy`s management yet? Anyway he achieved a respectable overall average of 1.66 points per game although a lot of that was from the first division league. His top division points average is 1.38 with Hibernian which does not look quite so good.

Rangers, Right then he went on to manage one of the top two teams in Scotland. Hardly the hardest job in the world but he did well. Celtic won the league the season before McLeish came but Rangers had won the league the previous two seasons to that so he hardly ended Celtics dominance like quoted in some places. He started managing them part way through the season in December and they were in 2nd place. He kept them in second place but lost a further 7 point on Celtic to end up 18 points behind them. The next season was very good for McLeish as he finished top beating Celtic by one goal on goal difference. Next season back to second 17 points behind Celtic, Next season won title again by 1 point.

His final season he finished 3rd 18 points behind Celtic again. He then left the club after fans protested against him and the chairmen. While his average points of 2.27 looks excellent, the two Scottish giants are that far ahead of anyone else in the league anyone could achieve reasonable results. So while he did well at Rangers the average points over the last 10 years at Rangers is 2.2+ so he did nothing special in my opinion. While his record was still ok until his last season his management again seemed very inconsistent. One season being close to Celtic and then next season a massive points difference again. Again after initial success he took the club back down to below where he started with them. He also did well with the cups he won at Rangers but again there is only a few teams in with a chance of winning any cups in Scotland.

Birmingham. On to the Blues we go. He took Birmingham over 14 games into the season with them lying in 16th, he managed to lead them to 19th and relegation. All I can say is well done McLeish that`s about your best piece of work so far ;-) He led them straight back up finishing in 2nd. Then a respectable 9th before taking them back down again. Inconsistent is the key here again. His whole management at Birmingham he had an average points total of 1.41 which sounds ok but that is cup and league games including 1st division games. Take league games only and his average is 1.30 and then take his Premiership games only and his average points total is 1.13 per game YES 1.13 per game. I had to check that several times to make sure I have it correct! As we all know he won a cup (many will say luckily but credit where credit due) which is a fat load of use when you get your team relegated.

Now can someone pass that onto the board for me and then ask them to explain why they think he is a good manager! All he has proven in his management career is he can take a top team that are streets ahead of almost every other team in the league and keep them there or there about. He has had bad times at every club he has managed so I totally understand why he is not welcome at Villa by most fans. A few big signings are not going to win the fans around. Why the board would even consider a manager that would alienate so many fans when he is not even a good manager is beyond any reason or logic I can think of.

For clarification average points totals were worked out on three points for a win and one for a draw.

Read more: http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7509055#ixzz1PQplHm93

Taking his points per game average in the PL 1.13 that would give the Bluenoses survival every season, plus a cup not too bad considering the squad and njuries he had, change of ownership. Martinez has just had his honeymoon season at wigan and only just survived

Taking Bluenoses over 14 games into the season does not give him a fair amount of time to bring his management onto the team to survive. Last season he had some key injuries like Bowyer Fergusen Zigic and Dann.

McCleish is a much better manager than McClaren IMO, McClaren just never managed the scum.

McClaren's management record isn't actually that bad.

Decent results at Boro, Uefa Cup Final, won the league with FC Twente for the first time in their history. His spells at England and Wolsburg were not great admittedly, but with England he was let down with individual errors, and Wolfsburg he had a bloody awful bunch of players, it was a near impossible task to achieve what the fans wanted.

In light of all this McLeish stuff, I would welcome McLaren with open arms. At least he's a solid manager.

Do you think this will affect any transfers between us and the scum? i.e. Ben Foster and Scott Dann

Oh and also, taking a positive out of this... Surely this appointment will mean more playin time for Carlos! (If it was Eck that signed him?)

Pretty sure Blues will make it very hard for us to buy any of their players after this shambles.

And yes, it'll be really interesting to see how Carlos gets on in a flat back 8.

I'm not a AM fan or agree with the appointment in anyway but...

What if we're doing well solid top half team and have a good cup run?

Will people just refuse to go full stop, not be pleased that we're winning and doing well?

That makes no sense to me.

So sky have just reported the 'within 24 hours' line....but I've just thought of something that lacks any sense what so ever.

Steve Mclarens talks were put on hold due to fan reactions on the net however Villa still hold talks with Mcleish despite the fans reaction on the net and protests at Villa park. We might as well of hired the 'wally with a brolly' if that's the case. If Mcleish is appointed that will stick in my mind...very contradictory indeed.

RL had previously met Mcleish and has been quoted in the past saying he admires him as a manager.

RL had previously met Mcleish and has been quoted in the past saying he admires him as a manager.

Still a strong contradiction in there though. Despite the appointment I'm Villa 'til I die. ST next week for the holte upper! :D

McCleish is a much better manager than McClaren IMO, McClaren just never managed the scum.

McClaren's management record isn't actually that bad.

Decent results at Boro, Uefa Cup Final, won the league with FC Twente for the first time in their history. His spells at England and Wolsburg were not great admittedly, but with England he was let down with individual errors, and Wolfsburg he had a bloody awful bunch of players, it was a near impossible task to achieve what the fans wanted.

In light of all this McLeish stuff, I would welcome McLaren with open arms. At least he's a solid manager.

What McClaren has achieved is far beyond anything McLeish has done in the game.

Well, the first tangible negative to next season has occured:

Randy has created disharmony amoungst us fans

Nice one Randy! Good fan management!

Let's **** pray that he is genius and will prove the majority of us wrong...

Yes, I remember reading this board in the past when everyone always agreed and there were never heated arguments...

If the board had settled for 'middle of the road' then fair enough. There are cheap options out there, and they could do a decent job, solid midtable and all that, quite uninspiring but acceptable in times of cost-cutting.

The appointment of McLeish is not 'middle of the road' though. It's the site at the side of the road for the monumental car crash. The appointment of McLeish seems more like a '**** you, we make the decisions' to the fans than anything else. He has a poor management record, he has a poor record with his signings, he has a poor style of football, he has just come from a relegated club, he has just come from the club who scored the least goals in the league, he begins his tenure here with protests against his appointment, he will have the fans calling for his head at the first defeat, he will have fans boycotting games and merchandise leading to heavy drop in revenue, and he will cost us alot in compensation to bring all those wonderful things to our club. This is completely fogetting the Birmingham City link, which I can do - but he is a poor poor manager, and I am gutted our board honestly think this is a good decision.

It makes no sense, in a sense of business, financially, football or loyalty to the fans. Randy Lerner has been an amazing chairman up to this point, I've had friends (particularly Liverpool fans during Hicks and Gillette) who have said they were jealous of our chairman and what he was doing, he was improving not only the football club, but the image of the club with the surrounding areas and throwing in a load of charity work to boot; truely amazing stuff - and that could all be completely undone with this appointment. Expect a season of absolute turmoil, fans revolts, player revolts, players leaving, and that will inevitable lead to a relegation battle.

A bit OTT IMHO. His managerial record isn't that bad with Rangers and Scotland and has good recommendations from Dick Advocat, Fergie. Ask Hibs and Rangers fans, his style of play was more attacking with more decent players available.

At Birmingham he inherited club 14 games in and 16th place, very difficult to turn around with that quality squad in your first season. Got straight back up though and last season had key injuries, new ownership didn't get on with and carling cup distraction. All facts that have to be added to the mix.

Well, the first tangible negative to next season has occured:

Randy has created disharmony amoungst us fans

Nice one Randy! Good fan management!

Let's **** pray that he is genius and will prove the majority of us wrong...

Yes, I remember reading this board in the past when everyone always agreed and there were never heated arguments...

Heh! But not to the extent of a pre-season protest.

I actually think the club cancelled Mclarens talks because of either:-

1.We thought Martinez was in the bag

2. We got wind of Mcleish quitting -

You wouldn't not appoint Mclaren because of a fans backlash - then appoint Mcleish.