• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Unfortunately Randy is proving the Cleveland Browns fans right. He's a nice guy but he appears clueless about appointing a manager. His obsession with a "shared vision" always obscures his ability to see the wider picture beyond.

Browns fans are now reasonably optimistic over the appointment of their recent head coach. Why? Because Randy didn't appoint him. For the first time in his ownership of the Browns he allowed his vastly experienced President Mike Holmgren to do the job, which he did quickly and efficiently.

Randy's idea of a "criteria list" is quaint and old fashioned and it prevents some potentially very good candidates from being interviewed. I hope RL recognises the urgent need to appoint a vastly experienced football administrator at AVFC. He needs to replace the muddled good intentions of a couple of nice guys (RL and PF) who have clearly shown that they are way out of their depth in the dog eat dog world of Premiership football.

Agree 100% - until this happens I can't see a way forward. To be fair Randy has put a lot a cash in and seems happy to sit back and let the club be managed both on and off the field by somebody else. At the moment neither of those people look good enough.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checked in to see if there have been any developments. As things stand at the moment and reading bits of the media I just can't believe how (if true) backward the condition of Prem League experience is. Flores agent is quoted as saying he is up for Villa job evan if he is not top of their list, if the board want to build long term and if we ever want to be the "english barca" as I've seen mentioned previously then the board need to wake up. Fair enough I can see the reasoning for a safe pair of hands but if we are to believe the constant rhetoric of "ambition" that we get told about from the club then appointing AM is defiantly about as far away as as we could be at this moment. Jose M, Wenger and Ancilotti never needed Prem experience. I might be over reacting but right now we don't seem far away from becoming the next Newcastle :(

it would be a miracle for it not to happen now. im dreading next season

empty seats my lord

people will still go Dem!

Theres no such thing as bad adverisement :D

The actual people who return there season tickets won't be that great IMO.

The big danger is that a lot of people will just not bother to renew - and perhaps more importantly......

How many people will buy there first ever season ticket this year ?

I literally cannot believe how much wailing, gnashing, howling and grief has been caused over essentially one club statement saying "we're going to interview McLeish". I've re-read that statement over and over again and it reads (to me, anyway) like the club's thinking behind it is thus; "We're going through all of the candidates that match our criteria and McLeish is now available so we'll take the time to look at him too, but we should probably be up front and make an official statement as if the news that we're talking to our former rivals manager is somehow leaked the backlash will be immense".

I mean, think about it. Everyone's seemingly pissed that the club has told us they were talking to McLeish, imagine if they'd said **** all and it was suddenly plastered around the news instead? The likely reaction in that scenario would make last night's protest look like a quiet afternoon of tea and crumpets.

Nowhere does that statment say he's first-choice, or he's a shoe-in for the role. I don't see how it alludes to the possibility that we've tapped him up. In fact, the only place I've seen all of the aforementioned is in the various media outlets and on here. Is it not possible that we've been jumping the gun, somewhat?

I wish I had your optimism!!

That a precious argument. All I can say is that I've heard bad/poor language every time I've been to Villa Park or any other ground from day one (1974).

"Bad language" is in my opinion an mute point, its an outdated policy to brand one word any worse than another. "Bad language" is so common and mainstream in every walk of life now, the only people who find it offensive are generally old and have outdated beliefs that dont work in todays society.

I'm an IT contractor and I work in many different office environments, f'in and blinin' is common place everywhere by all levels of staff to management.

The only time it's not allowed is if its a customer facing and usually company policy not to swear in front of customers.

That said we should respect that there are still people that dont like it...however to suggest swearing makes you a "bad person" is on my barometer labelled as "bonkers"

Daft you are missing the point though, Flores record brings with it respect. The fans would have respected Flores and given him a chance. McLeish record warrants no respect and so the Fans will give him no time, no patience and no support. How is that a good appointment? to fly in the face of the facts is arrogant and deluded.

I'm not questioning Flores record or condoning the appointment of AM. I'm questioning our ability to back a manager. Flores might start with more supporter backing, but it wouldn't take much for the fans to turn on him. And I certainly don't agree with the notion that fans wouldn't question the board if Flores failed. That's just plain wrong in my opinion.

Don't kid yourself. We are not a forgiving, patient and understanding bunch. We are wolves. If Lerner thinks he can toss AM into the pit, sure, it'll turn ugly very, very fast, but that's another discussion. I'm just pointing out the flaw in saying that we would forgive and forget a failed appointment as long as it wasn't AM. I don't believe that for a minute.

One of the worst things about this is that whenever McLeish eventually does leave we'll probably be left with a bunch of journeymen who only know how to hoof and kick. Therefore, whenever we do eventually get a manager in that actually wants to play football, we're going to go through another season of transition and spend even more money.

At least with Martinez the club would probably move forward long term. With this, we're moving back. Way back.

I am EVEN more annoyed IF the following article is true from the Mirror...

Aston Villa turned down the chance to install former Valencia, Benfica and Atletico Madrid coach Quique Sanchez Flores as manager.

I know its the mirror, but the article goes into a lot of detail about who he wanted as his Asst Man, he has studied the villa team, only needs 2 or 3 signings to make us top 6 etc....

IF this was true THAN board had to resign immediately.

I literally cannot believe how much wailing, gnashing, howling and grief has been caused over essentially one club statement saying "we're going to interview McLeish". I've re-read that statement over and over again and it reads (to me, anyway) like the club's thinking behind it is thus; "We're going through all of the candidates that match our criteria and McLeish is now available so we'll take the time to look at him too, but we should probably be up front and make an official statement as if the news that we're talking to our former rivals manager is somehow leaked the backlash will be immense".

I mean, think about it. Everyone's seemingly pissed that the club has told us they were talking to McLeish, imagine if they'd said **** all and it was suddenly plastered around the news instead? The likely reaction in that scenario would make last night's protest look like a quiet afternoon of tea and crumpets.

Nowhere does that statment say he's first-choice, or he's a shoe-in for the role. I don't see how it alludes to the possibility that we've tapped him up. In fact, the only place I've seen all of the aforementioned is in the various media outlets and on here. Is it not possible that we've been jumping the gun, somewhat?

Expected to be appointed in the next 24 hours....so no, we're not.

Even if they're right, Talksport said that 48 hours ago

it would be a miracle for it not to happen now. im dreading next season

empty seats my lord

people will still go Dem!

Theres no such thing as bad adverisement :D

The actual people who return there season tickets won't be that great IMO.

The big danger is that a lot of people will just not bother to renew - and perhaps more importantly......

How many people will buy there first ever season ticket this year ?

Well Il be honest, I cant understand that. Im not from Birmingham so never pretend to understand the rivalry. But Id be amazed it people stop going because of that.

In addition, although Ive only been to 20-30 games in my lifetime, I can count on half a hand, how many games ive been to where the football hasnt been utterly dire. Ive not seen Villa string 5 or 6 passes together for a decade!

So, i think they will be some that dont renew and I respect they can do what they like with there money, but I would guess a lot will when the signings come in!

The more I think about it, the more depressing it becomes.

We've gone from having Oneill and a team full of internationals to Mcleish, who will probably start his reign with Darren Bent as his only truely top class player.

I don't know what Lerner's up to, or what the thinking is behind this, but it stinks.

Im still clinging to the belief (albeit through blind faith) that we wont appoint AM. I understand that we would want to interview him as he's available, but to consider him the 'best option available to us' is ludicrous.

I feel that if Randy clearly cancelled a meeting with Schteve McClaren due to the ill feeling from the fans, then to go the whole 9 yards and potentially appoint AM with the feeling of hatred he has generated on some of this thread, it beggars belief that Randy may go through with this. In my opinion, this move is suicidal. To potentially appoint a manager who's only Premier League experience is to be relegated, is hardly inspiring. Its a sad indictment of our club if this is the best we can hope for.

5 years ago, I was beaming with pride at how our clubs future was going to be. Today I feel like Im not even that bothered anymore.

Some Villa fans a blumin idiots.

Contacting SSN saying they hope we get relegated.

I'm glad so called fans like that wont be at VP anytime soon.

I'm sure they will stay angry if AM is actually a success too, hmm probably not.

Stupid, I am angered beyond belief but I still would like him to do well regardless of who it is.

I don't think he will and I'll do everything I can to vote "no" to the appointment and try, regardless of how futile, to demonstrate my displeasure.

But still, of course I would like Villa to do well no matter who it is...I just cant see it happening!

Even if they're right, Talksport said that 48 hours ago

Okay but we shouldn't kid ourselves here, he's interviewed McLeish, he's had dinner with him and his wife, hardly the actions of someone who's just having an interview IMO. It's all done. If Randy didn't want McLeish, he wouldn't have even give him an interview because of the fans backlash.

Well today Apathy reigns for me. I give up and accept it's McCleish. Our board have settled for middle of the road and so now have I. I will support the team on the pitch, however I wont buy merchanise, spend money at the ground, simply just go and watch MY team play. I have given up hope that this board knows what it's doing. They haven't got a Scooby. No manger, no kit, no sponser, best players want out.......Bring back Doug