• McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Big Eck's Claret & Blue Army! AVFC!

Honestly, I don't mind if McLeish is appointed.

As others have said, before the relegation with sha, his managerial record is good. He's NOT a bluenose. He won a bunch of things in Scotland, he got sha their first cup for yonks and their highest league finish for however long. He got them relegated this year, but they had no Joe Hart (who saved them a LOT of points last year) and they had an injury to the Johnson-Dann partnership which also helped keep them up the year before.

I'm actually embarassed by the majority of the texts/ callers that I hear on talksport/ other news shows.

If he is appointed, let's get behind him.

They could have appointed me manager and you'd still have come up with some positives, lets just wait and what he does to Albrighton when he brings in Larsson.

And?

I'm positive, and happy with that.

My only concern is how the fans will react. I'd rather not have another season like the last one.

GET BEHIND WHOEVER IS APPOINTED!

Finally - after 100 pages of searching, someone else with a brain. :shock:

Posted this last night.

I support the club, the team, the 11 men on that field in claret and blue.

Doesn't matter who the owner is, who the board are, who the manager is, who the players are, what division we're in.

I will still support this club.

I don't think AM is the BEST appointment, but I will never, ever turn my back on the club. Succesful clubs are the ones with unity and stability, from the Chairman right down to the fans. So what McLeish managed SHA. He's not a nose. His win record with Scotland was 70%. 70 with SCOTLAND.[\size]

Its idiots with bedsheets outside the ground and phoning talkSPORT that are ruining this club. Not Lerner, not the General or anyone else.

I think we understand where you are coming from Eames, as when the dust settles most will come to realise this is the only way forward.

However you seem to be saying though that it doesn't matter what they do, just as long as you see 11 players in C&B, sorry if that was the limit of my interest I would just put up a poster of the team and look at that.

I'm not having a pop at you but you have to understand that the majority of fans feel differently than you do at the moment.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wary about Randy's appointments at the Browns and now he's translating it here. He should be banned from making these decisions.

You're right.. What right does the owner of a business have to appoint senior executives that he feels are right fit for the strategy he has in mind for his business?

After spending £65 million buying the business and then investing upwards of £150m on the infrastructure of that business, all from his family's wealth, he should now step back from making any decisions on how he feels is the best way to protect and grow that investment.

Loaned the business £150m.

And your point is? The fact it is a directors loan not a gift means he DOESN'T get to play with HIS train-set?

[

(That was his international win percentage. FTR.)

His PL stats are awful because he has managed SHA, who by definition are awful.

RM's at Wigan, are awful because he has managed Wigan.

Grant at Chelsea did exceptionally well, he had better players and decent investment - at Pompey and WH terrible, because he had shit to work with.

Blackpool played wonderful attacking football and got relegated.

Style of football means **** all if you haven't got the players.

Villa have and the money to sustain that.

I'm not saying I'm happy. Just feel that some of the diva like overeactions on here are laughable.

Eames,

Get with the program. Sound reasoning, logic and patience are out the window this week.

Just fall in line, call everyone a word removed and save your intelligent posts for the "Off Topic" forum :)

FWIW, I agree entirely with what you posted. Or, I should I say... ^^THIS^^

+1

Well as much as some people have hated it, the last couple of weeks have been a wonderful rollercoaster… First Hughes resigning, then the farce with Martinez, all the Moyes rumours and lately the fuss around McLeish not to mention all the whispers in between. My wallet is empty and the bets I have on look dead in the water, but it’s been fun in a way.

Thing is, at the end of a rollercoaster, there is normally one big dip where you fear for your life, only to sail back up the other side and breathe a sigh of relief. I am at the moment fearing for my life that the rollercoaster is about to come off the tracks and end with Big Eck, is it too farfetched to believe we could still have one last twist before the end?

In the 46 yrs that I have followed Villa I'm struggling to think of a time that I felt worse, relegated in 87? Nope we deserved it and besides it was a great season following. DOL? No I would have him back before McLeish, Saunders leaving? No we had just won the league and went onto win the EC.

I will never give up loving Villa but this crap has really put a downer on it.

And to think we still have to go through the normal shit of the summer transfer window :-(

I'm the same. 50+ years a Villa fan, so I'm not a teenage FM-warrior who thinks we should be able to get Mourinho and Messi and win the Champs League in three years. I'm a realist. But this isn't realism, this is suicide - on a PR level, a financial level and a football level.

Last year was bad after MON dropped us in it. Having lost Milner and having to scrabble for a manager at the last minute, I was fairly happy with Houllier, but he was on a hiding to nothing with his health, the fan hostility and sheer bad luck. The season was a write-off.

This year though, I was optimistic. We had plenty of time to get a new boss in before the transfer window, and there were plenty of good managers already free or definitely gettable.

I'd chuckled at my Sheffield United mates in their anguish at having an ex-Owls boss foisted on them, because I knew that nothing similar could happen at Villa.

As many people have said though, it's not just the ex-sha tag that's the problem - although given the inevitable fan hostility, that would be reason enough not to do it, even for a very good manager. But he's not a good manager, he's an anti-football failure.

This is a disaster on every level. There is a slim chance that we'll be proven wrong and he'll be a surprise success, but I'm not holding my breath.

The "Premier league experience only" stipulation was plain stupid. Getting someone with experience of doing things differently would have been a sound idea. But we still had options - a big name with a good track record (which would cost more), or an young up-and-coming boss with something to prove - Martinez was a good shout that didn't come off, but I'd have seen some point in an Owen Coyle or a Simon Grayson.

But this is the worst of all worlds. They literally couldn't have made a worse choice if they'd tried. I'm appalled, embarrassed and depressed.

Spot on.

You can almost forgive Randy for his naivety since he has never seen the effects a manager crossing a divide can cause.

Remember when Spurs hired George Graham? On paper he had a better chance of succeeding as his CV was bulging at the time, but he was doomed from day one.

What will be difficult to forgive him for (should the blue scot be hired) is his disregard to the feelings of a great percentage of his own fans, after he has seen the ruptions this has already caused.

But this is the worst of all worlds. They literally couldn't have made a worse choice if they'd tried. I'm appalled, embarrassed and depressed.

If they go ahead with this I agree, its like they will have thrown a grenade into a room full of people to see what will happen. We all know what will happen if they appoint McLeish.

Lets just say he was good enough (which he isn't) at a guess I would say over 90% of supporters are against his appointment, there is no way he will get the backing.

The players will know this, put in a poor performance and its easy for them to let the manager take the flak, as they know he's unpoplar, then one of them out of favour will start a whispering campaign saying he has lost the dressing room and he will be under pressure to be sacked.

How is this an appoinment to ensure our best players stay, there is no chance of Downing signing now, and I bet Bent will be the next one out of the door.

Even recruiting players this Summer seems unlikely, if Mcleish said he wanted you as a player to come to Villa, would you go knowing there is a probability that he will be out of a job by Christmas, and that could leave you with a manager that didn't rate you.

Randy, what are you doing? take a long hard look at yourself before you press the destruct button. I honestly think there will be no way back for the board if they go ahead with this. There is a slim chance that McLeish would be a success, but without the backing of the fans it is so unlikely.

I think Randy has done everything right up until now, I understand that he needs to make the club sustainable, however why employ a manager with a track record of failure? If thats the kind of premier league experience he is thinking of I'd rather have an manager without premier league experience. People point to the carling cup in defence, did these people watch that game or their progress through the cup, they were shit and lucky. How Arsenal didn't beat them is a mystery. I don't want Villa playing football like that.

I support the Villa, but I'll vote with my feet as its the only way the board will understand. If Randy and Faulkner want to go against 90% of this club and make such a poor appointment then he has made his bed and he will have to lie in it. Its our club but his investment, if he wishes to piss it up the wall it his decision, but I don't want to hear any of the board ever criticising the fans for staying away, because they will.

I wouldn't attend a protest, I think the board can't fail to understand the groundswell against this appoinment and I don't think it achieves anything. But staying away will.

Just to reiterate, I honestly don't care about the Blues connection, its just such a crap appointment, someone who plays crap football and spells out exactly where we are heading from here on out.

Absolutely gutted.

Kind of hope it's going to be AM now, not my first choice by any means, but a hell of a lot better than many other names dropped on this thread. I've been on this forum for about 5 years (following Villa for almost 30 years), mostly reading to get other people’s views of what’s happening in and around Villa. But I have never seen so much whining and complaining in all these years. I would have understood that if it was the other way around – the Small Heath signing our manager after resigning unexpectedly. It’s almost like a competition about who can come with the worst complaints or the worst insults to the board, AM, other people at the forum and journalists (although journalists are fair game)

I believe that if AM is appointed he will get a quite hefty transfer kitty, to compensate for the fans discontent. And I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we sign a real quality player shortly to take focus away from the AM appointment.

We could do a lot worse; we could have been supporting the Blue Nose Bastards. And if we Bent wouldn’t have been signed in January it would probably be us in the Championship and not the SHA.

You mean a big transfer kitty so he can go out and buy Robbie Keane? Seriously mate, who do think McLeish is gonna attract to this club? MON had to offer outragous wages to lure players here, what chance has McLeish got?

And not only that what connections would McLeish have to bring in say for example, M'Villa or Cissokho? These players probrably havnt even heard of him.

Its the over-priced rejects like Bentley, Keane, Parker to look forward to under McLeish.. Its a poorer version of MON..

Here is a novel idea,

IF you don't want McLeish (who hasn't even been appointed yet IIRC) - If you really feel that unhappy, do some good with it in stead of ruining your mums linens.

Use the money you would have spent supporting Villa over the season and make a donation to Acorns. Please post proof on here as a recognition of your feelings. If even 5k angry Villa fans donate the price of a season ticket a fantastic good can be made of all this - £2m to a wonderful charity if my maths holds up.

The simple fact of the matter is that not one person will do this, because IF AM gets the job and IF AM wins say 4 or 5 out of his first 6, every single "fan" on here moaning and comlaining and generally acting like massive clearings in the woods, will be back, acting like they never complained at all - singing his name and looking forward to the Proud History:Bright Future we were promised.

We ALL want Villa to succeed (apparently) - lets at least given them the opportunity to try eh?

I was wary about Randy's appointments at the Browns and now he's translating it here. He should be banned from making these decisions.

You're right.. What right does the owner of a business have to appoint senior executives that he feels are right fit for the strategy he has in mind for his business?

After spending £65 million buying the business and then investing upwards of £150m on the infrastructure of that business, all from his family's wealth, he should now step back from making any decisions on how he feels is the best way to protect and grow that investment.

Loaned the business £150m.

In exactly the same way that Abramovich, Mansour etc loaned money to the business. He could have gone the Glazer route and mortgaged the business against itself. I know which investment option I prefer.

I think you'll find the terms of the loan to be the same, either way it to be funded.

Debt is debt.

Here is a novel idea,

IF you don't want McLeish (who hasn't even been appointed yet IIRC) use the money you would have spent supporting Villa over the season and make a donation to Acorns. If you really feel that unhappy, do some good with it. Please post proof on here as a recognition of your feelings. If even 5k angry Villa fans donate the price of a season ticket a fantastic good can be made of all this - £2m to a wonderful charity if my maths holds up.

The simple fact of the matter is that not one person will do this, because IF AM gets the job and IF AM wins say 4 or 5 out of his first 6, every single "fan" on here moaning and comlaining and generally acting like massive clearings in the woods, will be back, acting like they never complained at all.

We ALL want Villa to succed - lets at least given them the opportunity to try eh?

Double 'e' in succeed!

*runs and hides behind nearest rock*

:lol: :winkold:

Wonder what the Players that are Villa fans think of all this IE Gabby

Im honestly hoping Mcleish realises whats he letting himself in for and refuses

And the Grafiti down Bodymoor Heath is a pathetic thing to do

Here is a novel idea,

IF you don't want McLeish (who hasn't even been appointed yet IIRC) use the money you would have spent supporting Villa over the season and make a donation to Acorns. If you really feel that unhappy, do some good with it. Please post proof on here as a recognition of your feelings. If even 5k angry Villa fans donate the price of a season ticket a fantastic good can be made of all this - £2m to a wonderful charity if my maths holds up.

The simple fact of the matter is that not one person will do this, because IF AM gets the job and IF AM wins say 4 or 5 out of his first 6, every single "fan" on here moaning and comlaining and generally acting like massive clearings in the woods, will be back, acting like they never complained at all.

We ALL want Villa to succed - lets at least given them the opportunity to try eh?

Double 'e' in succeed!

*runs and hides behind nearest rock*

:lol: :winkold:

Already edited smart arse.

Now, whats the :: code for the "kick in the crotch" smiley..? :D

Kind of hope it's going to be AM now, not my first choice by any means, but a hell of a lot better than many other names dropped on this thread. I've been on this forum for about 5 years (following Villa for almost 30 years), mostly reading to get other people’s views of what’s happening in and around Villa. But I have never seen so much whining and complaining in all these years. I would have understood that if it was the other way around – the Small Heath signing our manager after resigning unexpectedly. It’s almost like a competition about who can come with the worst complaints or the worst insults to the board, AM, other people at the forum and journalists (although journalists are fair game)

I believe that if AM is appointed he will get a quite hefty transfer kitty, to compensate for the fans discontent. And I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we sign a real quality player shortly to take focus away from the AM appointment.

We could do a lot worse; we could have been supporting the Blue Nose Bastards. And if we Bent wouldn’t have been signed in January it would probably be us in the Championship and not the SHA.

Seems like us Swedes are in this together! Great post!

Brilliant article in the Daily Mail, never thought I'd say that, but Moxley has absolutely nailed it - can't stand the man but in fairness it's the best piece I've read on the matter.

I, personally, expect McLeish to get the job now that things have reached this stage.

However, if you want a crumb of solace, Randy interviewed Alan Curbishley last year before appointing Houllier. He also interviewed Sven and found him to be unsuitable.

With that in mind, perhaps it's worth considering that Randy may have met with other potential candidates and decided them unsuitable or who declined the job.

The point I'm trying to make is: Do you really thank Randy Lerner would blindly go into the process of appointing Alex McLeish without meeting other candidates and without considering the impact the appointment would have? I don't think that would happen at all.

The Randy Lerner we've come to know isn't a cowboy. He isn't a publicity whore who craves love and adulation. He's not Peter Ridsdale, Dave Whelan or Bill Kenwright.

If, after a long and considered process, he deems Alex McLeish to be the best fit for the job (for reasons of availability, willingness or other), then I am prepared to back his judgement, put my scepticism to one side and support the new manager.

After all, what do I know? I thought Houllier was going to be a rip-roaring success.