• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Its not his small heath connection that i'm bothered about , i know it is to some fans , its his shit football tactics that bothers me . I'm clinging to the small hope that this is nothing more than an interview and he wont be given the job .

By the way if your under 16 i'm sure i've read that u can get a season ticket at Walsall for free :winkold:

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its idiots with bedsheets outside the ground and phoning talkSPORT that are ruining this club. Not Lerner, not the General or anyone else.

Who is going to appoint this idiot then?

I'll be right there with you mate till the day I die fighting for villa.

But nothing, nothing will change my mind on probably one of the most shocking managerial appointments in football history.

It stinks. Its wrong.

I was wary about Randy's appointments at the Browns and now he's translating it here. He should be banned from making these decisions.

You're right.. What right does the owner of a business have to appoint senior executives that he feels are right fit for the strategy he has in mind for his business?

After spending £65 million buying the business and then investing upwards of £150m on the infrastructure of that business, all from his family's wealth, he should now step back from making any decisions on how he feels is the best way to protect and grow that investment.

Why is it they can't just get Hughes or other free agents? Why would they hire Houllier and then hire McLeish who the complete opposite?

I was wary about Randy's appointments at the Browns and now he's translating it here. He should be banned from making these decisions.

Hughes is getting the Chelsea job, thats why we never went for him, we never had a chance

McLeish: I think given where we and our squad are right now, will be a solid managerial appointment for the club and one I would be happy with. I think he'll manage higher profile clubs than Villa later in his career.

Randy/the Board appointing McLeish: Footballing suicide. There's no two ways about it, he will alienate a majority of the supporters by doing this. This thread demonstrates that although I disagree with most of what's posted in here.

I just can't be bothered with another season of constant moaning.

Its not his small heath connection that i'm bothered about , i know it is to some fans , its his shit football tactics that bothers me . I'm clinging to the small hope that this is nothing more than an interview and he wont be given the job .

Bang on.

Well I've slept on it... thought it over... and... I'm f'kin furious!

Why why why!

Ex Blues, 2 relegations despite a very large net spend, will get NO time, will divide VP(I dread to think how evil it's gonna be in there), will ruin the clubs rep for doing business, will ruin the boards reputation with the fans, recognised as overseeing some of the worst negative football in the prem in years and on and on it goes.

Have a look around fan forums for clubs across the country like I did last night, most aren't even laughing at us (outside the mids) they are just completely dumbfounded why we would possibly even consider this and thanking the stars it's not happening to them.

In the 46 yrs that I have followed Villa I'm struggling to think of a time that I felt worse, relegated in 87? Nope we deserved it and besides it was a great season following. DOL? No I would have him back before McLeish, Saunders leaving? No we had just won the league and went onto win the EC.

I will never give up loving Villa but this crap has really put a downer on it.

And to think we still have to go through the normal shit of the summer transfer window :-(

I'm the same. 50+ years a Villa fan, so I'm not a teenage FM-warrior who thinks we should be able to get Mourinho and Messi and win the Champs League in three years. I'm a realist. But this isn't realism, this is suicide - on a PR level, a financial level and a football level.

Last year was bad after MON dropped us in it. Having lost Milner and having to scrabble for a manager at the last minute, I was fairly happy with Houllier, but he was on a hiding to nothing with his health, the fan hostility and sheer bad luck. The season was a write-off.

This year though, I was optimistic. We had plenty of time to get a new boss in before the transfer window, and there were plenty of good managers already free or definitely gettable.

I'd chuckled at my Sheffield United mates in their anguish at having an ex-Owls boss foisted on them, because I knew that nothing similar could happen at Villa.

As many people have said though, it's not just the ex-sha tag that's the problem - although given the inevitable fan hostility, that would be reason enough not to do it, even for a very good manager. But he's not a good manager, he's an anti-football failure.

This is a disaster on every level. There is a slim chance that we'll be proven wrong and he'll be a surprise success, but I'm not holding my breath.

The "Premier league experience only" stipulation was plain stupid. Getting someone with experience of doing things differently would have been a sound idea. But we still had options - a big name with a good track record (which would cost more), or an young up-and-coming boss with something to prove - Martinez was a good shout that didn't come off, but I'd have seen some point in an Owen Coyle or a Simon Grayson.

But this is the worst of all worlds. They literally couldn't have made a worse choice if they'd tried. I'm appalled, embarrassed and depressed.

Spot on Mike.

+1 from a fan of 30 years + standing........i just find this entire one baffling and whilst i will continue to support the club i do now see it on a downward spiral not an upwards trend

His win record with Scotland was 70%. 70 with SCOTLAND.[\size]

To get a record much lower than that when your managing Rangers in the Scotish league would be some achievement in itself.

Has anyone watched Scotish football and understand whats goes on up there? No stats convert from Scottish football to the Prem, they arnt even valid. I spoke to a Rangers season ticket holder who gave me the low down and he was a bit meh, raised a few bad points and said he would not take us any further.

His stats in the Prem are awful, thems what count.

(That was his international win percentage. FTR.)

His PL stats are awful because he has managed SHA, who by definition are awful.

RM's at Wigan, are awful because he has managed Wigan.

Grant at Chelsea did exceptionally well, he had better players and decent investment - at Pompey and WH terrible, because he had shit to work with.

Blackpool played wonderful attacking football and got relegated.

Style of football means **** all if you haven't got the players.

Villa have and the money to sustain that.

I'm not saying I'm happy. Just feel that some of the diva like overeactions on here are laughable.

For all the weasely words in the 'Official Statement' vaguely implying there are other candidates it's clears that there is only one - AM. Similarly its now clear that a week ago there was no other candidate but Martinez despite the protestations of the club. Prior to that it ws McLaren.

I agree that the media love putting the boot into the club but we have made ourselves look like complete laughing stock. We make this big fuss about doing things by the book and yet its hard not to conclude we tapped AM up. I just don't buy the scenario that we were working on various targets which we drop completely as soon as AM becomes available and then he becomes, seemingly, our number one target. How does that square with our reported view of Mark Hughes resignation?

I don't dislike AM as a person based on seeing him in the media, in fact he comes over as an honourable man. I don't care he managed Blues either. My problem is very simple, I don't think he is a particularly good manager. I doubt we would be relegated under him but nor do I expect to be playing Champions League football any time soon either.

The club made a big deal of appointing someone with Premier League experience. Last time I checked none of Ferguson, Wenger, Ancelloti, Mourinhio, Mancini or even Moyes has such experience when they were appointed. Added to that AM's experience is hardly a glowing reference.

The whole recruitment process has been a shambles from start to finish but the reality is that we have had managerial problems since probably May of last year. The club failed to tackle a clear problem with MON thus allowing him to screw us over just before the season started, dithered for a month and then appointed GH, failed to forward plan when GH became ill and then conducted a protracted and ill thought out recruitment process again this time round.

I won't stop going to the games and AM will get my backing because he will be our manager. I've already renewed and I will do whoever is manager and whatever league we are playing in. What I won't be doing is rushing out to spend more money with the club as to be honest I feel let down. Lerner sold us a bright new vision which for me and many fans is just in tatters. We now know what our true ambition is. Is it that we lack the guts to play hardball to get the manager we really want say like Moyes?

Oh and a final thought. All these so called ITKs clearly know naff all.

You're right.. What right does the owner of a business have to appoint senior executives that he feels are right fit for the strategy he has in mind for his business?

After spending £65 million buying the business and then investing upwards of £150m on the infrastructure of that business, all from his family's wealth, he should now step back from making any decisions on how he feels is the best way to protect and grow that investment.

:thumb:

[

Grant at Chelsea did exceptionally well, he had better players and decent investment - at Pompey and WH terrible, because he had shit to work with.

I'm not saying I'm happy. Just feel that some of the diva like overeactions on here are laughable.

Eames,

Get with the program. Sound reasoning, logic and patience are out the window this week.

Just fall in line, call everyone a word removed and save your intelligent posts for the "Off Topic" forum :)

FWIW, I agree entirely with what you posted. Or, I should I say... ^^THIS^^

Loaned the business £150m.

Kind of hope it's going to be AM now, not my first choice by any means, but a hell of a lot better than many other names dropped on this thread. I've been on this forum for about 5 years (following Villa for almost 30 years), mostly reading to get other people’s views of what’s happening in and around Villa. But I have never seen so much whining and complaining in all these years. I would have understood that if it was the other way around – the Small Heath signing our manager after resigning unexpectedly. It’s almost like a competition about who can come with the worst complaints or the worst insults to the board, AM, other people at the forum and journalists (although journalists are fair game)

I believe that if AM is appointed he will get a quite hefty transfer kitty, to compensate for the fans discontent. And I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we sign a real quality player shortly to take focus away from the AM appointment.

We could do a lot worse; we could have been supporting the Blue Nose Bastards. And if we Bent wouldn’t have been signed in January it would probably be us in the Championship and not the SHA.

In the 46 yrs that I have followed Villa I'm struggling to think of a time that I felt worse, relegated in 87? Nope we deserved it and besides it was a great season following. DOL? No I would have him back before McLeish, Saunders leaving? No we had just won the league and went onto win the EC.

I will never give up loving Villa but this crap has really put a downer on it.

And to think we still have to go through the normal shit of the summer transfer window :-(

I'm the same. 50+ years a Villa fan, so I'm not a teenage FM-warrior who thinks we should be able to get Mourinho and Messi and win the Champs League in three years. I'm a realist. But this isn't realism, this is suicide - on a PR level, a financial level and a football level.

Last year was bad after MON dropped us in it. Having lost Milner and having to scrabble for a manager at the last minute, I was fairly happy with Houllier, but he was on a hiding to nothing with his health, the fan hostility and sheer bad luck. The season was a write-off.

This year though, I was optimistic. We had plenty of time to get a new boss in before the transfer window, and there were plenty of good managers already free or definitely gettable.

I'd chuckled at my Sheffield United mates in their anguish at having an ex-Owls boss foisted on them, because I knew that nothing similar could happen at Villa.

As many people have said though, it's not just the ex-sha tag that's the problem - although given the inevitable fan hostility, that would be reason enough not to do it, even for a very good manager. But he's not a good manager, he's an anti-football failure.

This is a disaster on every level. There is a slim chance that we'll be proven wrong and he'll be a surprise success, but I'm not holding my breath.

The "Premier league experience only" stipulation was plain stupid. Getting someone with experience of doing things differently would have been a sound idea. But we still had options - a big name with a good track record (which would cost more), or an young up-and-coming boss with something to prove - Martinez was a good shout that didn't come off, but I'd have seen some point in an Owen Coyle or a Simon Grayson.

But this is the worst of all worlds. They literally couldn't have made a worse choice if they'd tried. I'm appalled, embarrassed and depressed.

Spot on Mike.

+1 from a fan of 30 years + standing........i just find this entire one baffling and whilst i will continue to support the club i do now see it on a downward spiral not an upwards trend

Any chance of a poll going up to see if the fans share the same concerns of the board, on that Premierleague experiance only need apply? It would be interesting to see how many Villa fans find this as being as greatly impoirtant as to what the board seem to think??

[

Eames,

Get with the program. Sound reasoning, logic and patience are out the window this week.

Just fall in line, call everyone a word removed and save your intelligent posts for the "Off Topic" forum :)

FWIW, I agree entirely with what you posted. Or, I should I say... ^^THIS^^

Sorry Gaz.

I meant....

*pig-ignorant outraged comment* **** OFF, clearing in the wood, rocket polisher, rocket polisher,** Send back ST, burn down Villa Park, RL has betrayed us.

There..... ;)

Loaned the business £150m.

In exactly the same way that Abramovich, Mansour etc loaned money to the business. He could have gone the Glazer route and mortgaged the business against itself. I know which investment option I prefer.

I might be clutching at straws here but does anybody think that AM might turn down the job? He may be holed up in Corsica but he'll no doubt be aware of the fans reaction. If the vibe was 'I'd rather not have the blues' manager but he's done brilliant for them so let's bring it on' but the fact that he's genuinely not wanted by the fans might just put him off. He seems like a sensible man, he might just realise he's on a hiding to nothing.

This is NOTHING like Saunders going to them, I wish the media would stop using that as some kind of comparison (or 'Arry to Portsmouth for that matter), this is a manager who is universally unwanted by the very people who can make or break his career.

Like I've said before, he'll get my full support IF he comes but so would Robbie Savage (shudders at the thought). BUT can you picture the scene: AM walking down the touchline at VP on the opening game of the season...muted applause from the optimists, silence from the majority and boos from the mentalists...strange atmosphere for the opening moments of the game...then the opposition score - oh shit, can you imagine it??

the thing about houllier was that i was prepared to write off one season and was prepared to give him a chance after a proper summer, but themn of course his health got int he way.

with the appointment of mcleish, im prepared to write off the next three seasons and the board completely.

Bang on... Although GH maDe some pretty big f*** ups I still felt he had a long term plan and was intrigued to see how we would progress under him.

There is no way we could have continued with him, can't risk a persons life for a job but right now I would welcome him back without a second thought.

Mcleish is wrong in every way for Aston Villa. If he gets appointed then we can not believe anything the board say anymore, can't believe I'm saying this but i feel a bit sorry for Schteve M if part of the reason for him not getting the job was a backlash from fans, if McLeish gets the job then whole thing stinks, a massive F**** u to the fans :(

PLEASE RANDY DO NOT DO THIS!