• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

i'll support villa, give big eck his dues if he suceeds but as far as the board goes, they're dead to me. Even if it works out they still showed no respect to the fans and the history of the club. The general is just a spin doctor not a fan. How could he be if he doesnt understand? Spouting bollocks about how he's one of us. Bullshit.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#avfc fully intend to appoint McLeish in next 36 hours despite fans' and #bcfc objections

was very depressed when i read this off matt kendricks twitter

So, what is the point of a sham interview then ?

You might be right M10, but I'll still get behind him, like I did Houllier.

I'll be behind the club but not behind him, i was even behind Martinez coming however cannot stand this dreadful man and his atrocious rugby style football.

In the 46 yrs that I have followed Villa I'm struggling to think of a time that I felt worse, relegated in 87? Nope we deserved it and besides it was a great season following. DOL? No I would have him back before McLeish, Saunders leaving? No we had just won the league and went onto win the EC.

I will never give up loving Villa but this crap has really put a downer on it.

And to think we still have to go through the normal shit of the summer transfer window :-(

I'm the same. 50+ years a Villa fan, so I'm not a teenage FM-warrior who thinks we should be able to get Mourinho and Messi and win the Champs League in three years. I'm a realist. But this isn't realism, this is suicide - on a PR level, a financial level and a football level.

Last year was bad after MON dropped us in it. Having lost Milner and having to scrabble for a manager at the last minute, I was fairly happy with Houllier, but he was on a hiding to nothing with his health, the fan hostility and sheer bad luck. The season was a write-off.

This year though, I was optimistic. We had plenty of time to get a new boss in before the transfer window, and there were plenty of good managers already free or definitely gettable.

I'd chuckled at my Sheffield United mates in their anguish at having an ex-Owls boss foisted on them, because I knew that nothing similar could happen at Villa.

As many people have said though, it's not just the ex-sha tag that's the problem - although given the inevitable fan hostility, that would be reason enough not to do it, even for a very good manager. But he's not a good manager, he's an anti-football failure.

This is a disaster on every level. There is a slim chance that we'll be proven wrong and he'll be a surprise success, but I'm not holding my breath.

The "Premier league experience only" stipulation was plain stupid. Getting someone with experience of doing things differently would have been a sound idea. But we still had options - a big name with a good track record (which would cost more), or an young up-and-coming boss with something to prove - Martinez was a good shout that didn't come off, but I'd have seen some point in an Owen Coyle or a Simon Grayson.

But this is the worst of all worlds. They literally couldn't have made a worse choice if they'd tried. I'm appalled, embarrassed and depressed.

Big Eck's Claret & Blue Army! AVFC!

Honestly, I don't mind if McLeish is appointed.

As others have said, before the relegation with sha, his managerial record is good. He's NOT a bluenose. He won a bunch of things in Scotland, he got sha their first cup for yonks and their highest league finish for however long. He got them relegated this year, but they had no Joe Hart (who saved them a LOT of points last year) and they had an injury to the Johnson-Dann partnership which also helped keep them up the year before.

I'm actually embarassed by the majority of the texts/ callers that I hear on talksport/ other news shows.

If he is appointed, let's get behind him.

They could have appointed me manager and you'd still have come up with some positives, lets just wait and what he does to Albrighton when he brings in Larsson.

And?

I'm positive, and happy with that.

My only concern is how the fans will react. I'd rather not have another season like the last one.

GET BEHIND WHOEVER IS APPOINTED!

Finally - after 100 pages of searching, someone else with a brain. :shock:

Posted this last night.

I support the club, the team, the 11 men on that field in claret and blue.

Doesn't matter who the owner is, who the board are, who the manager is, who the players are, what division we're in.

I will still support this club.

I don't think AM is the BEST appointment, but I will never, ever turn my back on the club. Succesful clubs are the ones with unity and stability, from the Chairman right down to the fans. So what McLeish managed SHA. He's not a nose. His win record with Scotland was 70%. 70 with SCOTLAND.[\size]

Its idiots with bedsheets outside the ground and phoning talkSPORT that are ruining this club. Not Lerner, not the General or anyone else.

The only thing small time about our club is the fans.

The only thing this will bring is that players and future managers wont come to us.

Lets get behind the club and support Aston Villa FC.

Its people like you that are satisfied with shite like Mcleish.

We are probably the 6th biggest team in what is regarded as the best league in the world.

I think we can expect to appoint a higher calibre manager than AM, I think the fans who are protesting have every right.

You always get a few idiots in any protest, that doesn't mean a protest is unwarranted,

I´m not satisfied with Mcleish. I think there are much better managers out there. But I respect and SUPPORT the boards decision.

What gives us the divine right to pick any manager in the world we (the fans) want? Just because the mirror says that reijkaard wants the job its the truth?

The board made its choice what they think its best for the club and I support that.

What hurts the most, is that when Randy took over I thought this is it, we can rise again.

But out of every club with a foreign owner we are still shit. Lets be honest. We flirted with the big time under MON....but it's crumbling all over again.

All our top players leave, and I'm thankful to randy for the money he has invested......but come on when trying to attract players and move on, the tag line of....

Come to villa, the gym's first class and you can get a great meal in the holte. Travel away with us and you might get a free scarf!..........just diesn't do it.

Im so gutted about AM coming in. Maybe I'm over reacting.....but come on, surely he can't appoint him. can he?

:(:(:(

I have bought my st and will be going anyway but i felt pissed off with barry when he went to man city not because he went just because he said he wanted to play cl football and then went to a club not even in europe. The same applies here we apaz didnt consider mh cause of the way he left fulham but then we will interview a guy who bought a player on sat then walked out on his club the day after!! Its just the blatant bullshit i cant stand! If the board just keep to thier word then even if we didnt agree i think the majority of fans would respect them for that!!!

Until it happens I'm refusing to believe it.

It makes no sense on any level whatsoever.

It just points to Randy not giving a shit about the fans and having lost all interest in the club.

I'm guesssing he'll be alienated from the club now like the Glaziers.

Maybe this suits his agenda if he doesnt want to come anymore and is just looking to sell

In the 46 yrs that I have followed Villa I'm struggling to think of a time that I felt worse, relegated in 87? Nope we deserved it and besides it was a great season following. DOL? No I would have him back before McLeish, Saunders leaving? No we had just won the league and went onto win the EC.

I will never give up loving Villa but this crap has really put a downer on it.

And to think we still have to go through the normal shit of the summer transfer window :-(

I'm the same. 50+ years a Villa fan, so I'm not a teenage FM-warrior who thinks we should be able to get Mourinho and Messi and win the Champs League in three years. I'm a realist. But this isn't realism, this is suicide - on a PR level, a financial level and a football level.

Last year was bad after MON dropped us in it. Having lost Milner and having to scrabble for a manager at the last minute, I was fairly happy with Houllier, but he was on a hiding to nothing with his health, the fan hostility and sheer bad luck. The season was a write-off.

This year though, I was optimistic. We had plenty of time to get a new boss in before the transfer window, and there were plenty of good managers already free or definitely gettable.

I'd chuckled at my Sheffield United mates in their anguish at having an ex-Owls boss foisted on them, because I knew that nothing similar could happen at Villa.

As many people have said though, it's not just the ex-sha tag that's the problem - although given the inevitable fan hostility, that would be reason enough not to do it, even for a very good manager. But he's not a good manager, he's an anti-football failure.

This is a disaster on every level. There is a slim chance that we'll be proven wrong and he'll be a surprise success, but I'm not holding my breath.

The "Premier league experience only" stipulation was plain stupid. Getting someone with experience of doing things differently would have been a sound idea. But we still had options - a big name with a good track record (which would cost more), or an young up-and-coming boss with something to prove - Martinez was a good shout that didn't come off, but I'd have seen some point in an Owen Coyle or a Simon Grayson.

But this is the worst of all worlds. They literally couldn't have made a worse choice if they'd tried. I'm appalled, embarrassed and depressed.

Spot on Mike.

VILLA’S search for a new manager is becoming a classic example of how to generate the maximum confusion.

Rumours operate and while the club is right to keep its cards close to its chest, and behaved honourably in dealing with Roberto Martinez, fans should realise that 95 per cent of what appears in the press is rubbish and does not need comment.

Certainly not on why a candidate would or would not be a good choice. With a few examples – and sadly Steve McClaren is one of those who comes as damaged goods – there are few really good or really bad candidates out there.

The underlying message is the one Dave Whelan spelt out. However cruel it may be, Villa fans need to accept that he is right to say that Villa “are not one of the really big clubs”, although I do not think he should write off our chances of getting into the top three with the right manager.

But it will have to be one with the aim, as Ron Saunders used to say, of getting 110 per cent effort – 100 per cent is not enough.

We are a cruiserweight club in a heavyweight division and need to punch above our weight. Having said that, if Frank Rijkaard is interested in the Villa job, then hopefully the club still has some pulling power.

He is certainly worth an interview if, indeed, these press reports are true.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/06/15/aston-villa-fans-forum-fans-have-their-say-on-the-manager-saga-97319-28881441/#ixzz1PKcdQEXm

Randy Lerner et al know that fans will blindly follow and support the team and hand over their hard earned cash for tickets and merchandise no matter what. All football owners know this (even Mike Ashley at Newcastle).

They know that fans will moan on internet forums, they know that fans will moan in newspapers, they know that they may lose a few thousand fans off the average attendances (not that a few hundred thousand pounds per week makes much difference in the grand scheme of things and equates to a couple of average footballer salaries).

However, like politicians, they also know that there is nothing that the fans can really do about changing things by moaning.

Everyone of us has a personal choice, some will go and get behind the new manager whoever he is and some will decide to vote with their feet and stay away. There is no right and there is no wrong it is purely a personal choice.

One thing we all have in common (whether we have a 'In Randy We Trust' outlook on things or we have a 'He's Screwed Us Over' outlook on things) is our love for Aston Villa and a deep passion and desire for us to be the best team in the world. It probably won't happen but we live in hope and when we see that things aren't as we think they should be then we vent our spleen in whichever way we can.

To those that want to moan and formally protest I say good luck and I hope it works.

To those that think moaning and protesting is small time and want to achieve their objectives in some other way I say good luck and I hope it works.

The moral of this is that we, as Villa fans, do whatever we feel is right to help our club 'Aston Villa' above any owner, above any manager above all else.

Together we stand, divided we fall.

The message this sends out to our players, the disrespect our fans get and the absolute no chance we have of getting better players....

It is there for all to see. Hiring Houllier, a person well past his top and out of the modern game, was a big error. Then they go on to

get Alex McLeish - a person who has basically never performed anything worth mentioning. What he has done in Scotland is totally uninteresting,

winning up there is got to do with beating one opposition side - namely Celtic.

When this guy gets appointed, it will leave anger and sad faces on almost all our supporters. Attendances will go down drastically, revenue will follow

that pattern of course, players will not opt to join us, our best players will leave the ship instantly (see what happens with Downing now!) and the most

loyal guys will turn on him faster than any other manager. Hiring a rubbish ginger, walking cathastrophe of a manger who used to be Birmingham material?

And he got them relegated two times!?!? This is the best man you can come up with? There is something seriously rotten going on at AVFC.

His win record with Scotland was 70%. 70 with SCOTLAND.[\size]

To get a record much lower than that when your managing Rangers in the Scotish league would be some achievement in itself.

Has anyone watched Scotish football and understand whats goes on up there? No stats convert from Scottish football to the Prem, they arnt even valid. I spoke to a Rangers season ticket holder who gave me the low down and he was a bit meh, raised a few bad points and said he would not take us any further.

His stats in the Prem are awful, thems what count.

the thing about houllier was that i was prepared to write off one season and was prepared to give him a chance after a proper summer, but themn of course his health got int he way.

with the appointment of mcleish, im prepared to write off the next three seasons and the board completely.

Why is it they can't just get Hughes or other free agents? Why would they hire Houllier and then hire McLeish who the complete opposite?

I was wary about Randy's appointments at the Browns and now he's translating it here. He should be banned from making these decisions.