• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

What on earth is going on. Probably nothing but everywhere has gone mad!!

From what I gather, and what makes sense to me, is that Mcleish has contacted Villa and asked to be considered for the job. Before we spoke to him, we asked for permission from the Birmingham owners... they refused and leaked it at the same time.

Hopefully nothing more than that in it, and the odds are suggesting it is not as big a contact as the media are making out. Mcleish is still not odds on even after this "breaking news".

There is hope for us all yet!

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I gather, and what makes sense to me, is that Mcleish has contacted Villa and asked to be considered for the job. Before we spoke to him, we asked for permission from the Birmingham owners... they refused and leaked it at the same time.

Hopefully nothing more than that in it, and the odds are suggesting it is not as big a contact as the media are making out. Mcleish is still not odds on even after this "breaking news".

Thanks for the update, sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Could Lerner be so stupid as to even contact the scum about McLeish. I hope not.

Depsite how wrong the media usually get things, I don't think there is any doubting that there has been some contact between the two clubs.

I think the key is whether we contacted Birmingham, or whether Mcleish contacted us. I personally think (and hope) it is the latter...

THIS

The negative backlash to McLeish is unbelievable. Im sure most people were saying that he's a good manager and blues were lucky to have him when they wanted him out. This rubbish about boycotting VP if he takes over is shameful. Give him a chance if it happens!

I beg to differ- I think your viewpoint is unbelievable and I find it highly amusing that you brand supporters of our football club "shameful" when in actual fact - 'if' this is true - it would be the most nonsensical footballing decision made in my lifetime.

Give him a chance? Are you crazy? For one - looking purely at his managerial credentials - the bookies should not even have taken a single bet for him. He's won a few trophies in a two-team league, relegated Blues twice in three seasons despite having a fairly decent team, bought the worst player to ever play in the Premier League in Zigic, plays awfully negative football and put together one of the worst managerial league sequences for years when they won something like 6 league games in 50.

On this basis alone, he should not be touched with a barge-pole.

Then we have the theory about Lerner and his affiliation with the word loyalty. Everybody on this board knows that Villa were thought to be put off Hughes when he quit from his job (fairly) unexpectedly. Why would this situation differ in any way with McLeish? He's walked out on his club, despite the owners buying players of his choice for him, and decided to make the announcement via email. Hardly strikes me as someone loyal to anyone but himself?

Lastly, but arguably most importantly, we have the fact that he is the manager who has just won our arch rivals their first major trophy in 130 years - and had the cheek to brag about SHA "closing the gap on us" in the process. Please do not underestimate the feeling between Villa and Blues fans. Nor analyse it and give your opinion about whether it should exist or not. The simple fact is, the Second City rivalry does exist and has risen over the past decade or so to become one of the most heated in British football. A Blues manager in modern times has never left the club to go to Villa, let alone having just taken them down. It would be morale-shattering business suicide if he were to be appointed!

Again, whether you like it or not, 7,600 supporters of this football club have joined a protest group over the mere thought in less than 24 hours. That figure is rising by the minute. But we are not just talking spotty kids in Reebok trainers here - we are talking about men, women, young and old, educated and uneducated - all united in one clear belief. Appointing Alex McLeish would be disastrous for this football club. We already know what bad morale at this football club did for Houllier's reign, appointing McLeish would be one hundred times worse.

So taking all of this into account, it really perplexes me, despite his "possible" appointment clearly being nonsensical in every sense of the word, that we still have certain fans who state: "I'll support him if it happens", "Give him a chance" and "If Randy appoints him, I'll support it. Villa forever."

I'll be honest; I really don't understand these people. Supporting a club, in my book, does not mean giving unwavering support to all and sundry, no matter the decision. I support the Club and the fans - the fans are what makes this football club - without us Villa wouldn't exist. So those who take the viewpoint "I'll support whatever happens" I simply ask, why? Do you think that by supporting everything the club does it makes you a better fan? Or improves the fortunes of the club in the long-run? For the life of me I cannot and will not ever understand that viewpoint, although I acknowledge you are fully entitled to it.

Negativity is never a good thing at a football club, and I am certainly not one of these people who moan at everything. But this decision, were it to happen, would be so far removed from anything logical or acceptable that fan unrest would undoubtedly occur. It already is.

This, of course, is based on an assumption that I truly hope turns out to be just that.

But why would we contact the blues? Even if mcleish did contact us about the job we should be politely declining his application to be honest. Theres no need for an interview if what the general said about our fanbase and heritage because an appointment like this would destroy all of that.

Martnez and McCliesh are polar opposites in terms of approach. Can't believe they would both be on the same shortlist. If only we had something like an official statement from the club confirming that one of them had been considered or approached. hmmm

I don't often post, but two thoughts occur to me (for what they're worth).

Under Randy's tenure, we have never ever leaked information to the press; never played that game. So it's curious to me that now, if we were interested in MacLeish, we would suddenly drop our guard and just send this supposed email: especially given the obviously contentious nature of such an appointment.

Second, MacLeish suddenly resigns from Birmingham (after receiving much publicised backing from Yeung). On a quiet news day, wouldn't the hacks be asking: what's happened here? What discussions have taken place, internally? Instead, nameless sources deflect all attention from such questions towards us: that we've been sniffing around MacLeish. And suddenly, this Pannu chap can come out in the press, playing the honourable MD role: coming across as the injured party. That seems a bit convenient to me. (No questioning from the press of why MacLeish has decided to leave them, note...)

Of course, who knows what's going on. But I have no reason to doubt that we'd be careful enough not to let emails leak now. And I have to question why Bloose seem to be playing the injured party card so hard (in the wretched Express, for instance).

Just a couple of thoughts.

If there was any reason for contacting Blues it would be to confirm we are not interested in McLeish.

Villa have 3 managers not known by 95% of Villa staff, they are working on. I believe McLeish was the Meltdown MM was talking about. Apart from that nothing is known or could be known as Villa do not leak, even to staff. Every manager the press have mentioned is pure speculation, they are now flapping for information, although it is my belief Randy has it in hand!

I would guess personally Hughes is still being considered, Moyes and maybe Rikjaard.

Carry on laying ya bets cause in my opinion 99.9% McLeish will not be coming here!!!!!!!