• McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Neil_Moxley_DM Neil Moxley

Incredibly, Peter Pannu is the only one who comes out of this with any decency. I feel sorry for #bcfc fans. They don't deserve this.

Neil_Moxley_DM Neil Moxley

And as for the people running #avfc - hang your heads in shame. Honesty and integrity? Don't make me laugh...

This man is hitting the Oli Holt level. Seriously with some of his outrageous comments think Villa should look into suing his ass.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i think he could do a good job too actually.. because our main weakness is our defence which is his strength!

Yes Sha got relegated twice under him, last season primarily due to a bizarre season which we ourselves very nearly got relegated in too don't forget..

As for the negative & defensive playing style well he stated once before that he would prefer to play a much more attacking style though was restricted by the playing staff at his disposal...Sha's strength was their superb defence which he lost for the crucial run in hence the poor run of results. I don't believe if he did get the job here he would play that way as we have a much better squad & he would have more cash to spend here too you would hope..Our weakness is defence & well who better to sort that out? Also with our forward line he wouldn't have to be so defensive.

But imagine our attacking ability with a defence as strong as a McCleish defence!

Also no mention of all of his huge trophy haul as Rangers manager either?! Not saying he is my preferred choice but i do trust the board so hey..

I can of course understand the uncomfortable feelings toward this appointment should it happen & am just trying to view it in a fair & balanced way & to do so we surely have to recognise his acheivements as well as his failures?

Anyway here are the details of his career/achievments just so we have the facts.

Alexander "Alex" McLeish (born 21 January 1959), is a Scottish former professional footballer and manager. Born in Barrhead, Renfrewshire, McLeish played as a central defender for Aberdeen during their 1980s glory years, making nearly 500 League appearances for the club, and won 77 caps for Scotland.

He started his managerial career with spells at Motherwell and Hibernian, before guiding Rangers to two championships and five cup wins in five years. McLeish spent ten months as manager of the Scotland national team which narrowly failed to qualify for the finals of the 2008 UEFA European championship. He then resigned this post in November 2007 to become manager of Birmingham City, who were in the English Premier League at the time. Though Birmingham were relegated at the end of the season, McLeish guided them back to the Premier League in 2009, a ninth-place finish in 2010, and victory in the 2011 League Cup final, before they were relegated once more at the end of the 2010-11 season.

We as fans have to be careful now as we have apparently already put the board off signing Steve Maclaren & are well on the way to doing the same with McCleish... You have to ask if lets say Moyes & Hughes were not in the picture as it is becoming increasingly apparent that they are not... Then we are fast running out of options are we not? We could end up cutting our noses off (no punn intended) to spite our faces.

If i remember correctly a certain Ron Saunders left the Champions of England to then go down the road & get Sha relegated?!

How bizarre if many years later the Sha manager having just been relegated left to go up the road to Villa who then become champions for the 1st time since those days :lol:

I know ridiculous but stranger things have happened.

Can't believe some people , I've always wanted moyes or Hughes , but if were not having them who's left ? Mcleish is the best option , just cus he was manager of scum ,? who cares, move on kids

Rubbish.

its more the fact hes also been relegated twice in last few years and oversaw some of the most boring football ever played in the Prem by anyone. Awful football.

Add the possibilty of paying large compensation for the rubbish manager .

McLeish is simply not up to standard .

And why do you think McLeish more available than Hughes ??

He isn't.

martinez (and read my posts when it was thought he was coming) would be like a mourinho signing in comparison to us getting mcleish

i dont think it will happen but if it does randy this is sucidal for you if you appoint him

I think it's just the press and such, hoping that all Villa fans get on Lerner's back hoping he'll

have to spill the beans, just to calm us all down.

Moyes makes more sense than the names the media are throwing about thats for sure. Talksport said that "Moyes wouldnt be going to Villa" earlier and loads of knobs started giving the ITK's shit about it. Yet the "statement" was not official had no official Everton link it was just from "a source close to Moyes" RIIGGHHTT. just like the sources saying Benitez, Mclaren, Hughes and Mcleish are in the frame for the Villa job??. Villa have got the media second guessing us and getting it wrong time and time again. Krulak's post pretty much says the same thing. Putting all what ive read together ever since Martin left really and whats gone on in the last month. The most likely scenario to me is. Moyes-Villa Hughes-Everton. Hence why Moyes, Kenwright, Hughes and Villa are very quiet. Up to now Everton have been very quick in getting Moyes to rebuff the interest. Not this time though. Make no mistake Moyes IS the target we are after it really isnt hard to work out. Everton have no money an ageing team and an expectant fanbase. The clubs are very similar in stature but i believe Villa have more money and a more ambitious owner who does back the manager with money. We can match Moyes ambition more than Everton. Where else can Moyes go to progress?. Liverpool?? Nope. Man utd?? nope. Chelsea under the control freak Abramovich?? nope. Arsenal?? nope. Spurs is the only slight possibility if Harry went but i think they would look higher tier than Moyes. Moyes isnt stupid he has a chance with Villa NOW. or he can risk waiting for a job with a higher club that may never happen.

I have been a member of VT for a very long time and as you can see I don't post much but I read the forum most days. I always love the debate and think it is amazing that we all want the same for Villa which is success but it how we get there divides so much opinion!

I have always been an optimistic supporter of Aston Villa and even in the darker times with various managers I have always tried to look for the positives (I even wanted to give Dr Jo another season!).

However, reading on Sky Sports news that we want to talk or contact Alex McLeish is beyond belief. I don't care that it is a former Small Heath manager it is just the fact he is not even at the standard of managing Aston Villa. He has been relegated twice with the knuckle draggers, plays negative long ball tactics and is surely the most unexciting manager we could ever have.

If we are trying to keep the likes of Downing and Bent we obviously need to be showing as a club we are moving forward and trying to attract the best players. I do not think that McLeish is realistically going to be able to do this.

I will be very disappointed and upset with the board if they appoint him. If they had any real ambition they wouldn't be looking at a manager of McLeish's standard.

Excellent post.

If ever there had been a statement released without using words it is this. This potential appointment cries out **** Champions League, **** the fans, I'm happy with mid-table mediocre... and mid-table is what we will get if we are lucky.

If we end up with him, Lerner will have a vote of no confidence from me. I will however always go to VP, as we are bigger than any manager.

For a board that has appeared to be very public relations conscious, hiring MacLeish would just obliterate those efforts. Can't see this happening. But the more this drags on, the more the tension ratchets up, and then they make half assed decisions (like hiring Houllier).....

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago titled "What are they waiting for?"

Some people thought I was jumping the gun, but who doesn't think we should have hired a manager by now?

The two best candidates for the job, IMO, (Jol and Rijkaard) had both declared a desire to manage in England. Jol never specified a London club. Instead we seem to have stumbled around talking to managers who already HAVE jobs!

We could have locked up Jol two weeks ago. We should hire Rijkaard today.

Instead we get TURNED DOWN by Roberto Martinez?

This is turning into a farce.

I think it's just the press and such, hoping that all Villa fans get on Lerner's back hoping he'll

have to spill the beans, just to calm us all down.

I'm with him!...

Not forgetting the media outlets and people like SkyBet & co are making a killing in the meantime!

I reckon there was just some boring email which has been taken completely out of proportion.

All the media are trying to drag Villa through the dirt when the only basis of any evidence at all whatsoever has been what David Whelan has come out and said regards to Martinez and what he said about the way we deal with football matters.

There has been no evidence of anything else. No evidence of any interviews, any approaches, NOTHING!!

So how are Villa being made to look bad?!

If David Moyes is joining, I wish they'd bloody get on with it. Surely not McLeish? I don't think he's as bad as McLaren or as rotten as Benitez but I'd prefer Steve Bruce, Ian Holloway or even, Billy Davies over McLeish. That said, if Randy appoints him, I'll support it. Villa forever.

TPC_BCFC Tim Crowley

@_andywalker_ Cheers for the info. Omg just heard on Central Villa asked for permission to speak to AMc...

_andywalker_ Andy Walker

@

@tpc_bcfc No, they haven't asked for permission. No 'official' approach.

Andywalker is Birmingham City's PR manager and he said that 1 hour ago

Read above.