Galatasaray

2009–10 Turkish Cup

Quarter-finalist

Netherlands

UEFA Euro 2000 Semi-finalist

:notworthy:

Also Sparta Rotterdam relegated

Galatasary 8th and sacked

Plus he also failed to win anything for two years with the Barcelona team Guardiola now has. Is he that good?????

Sparta are a poor team. He picked up over 20 more points in his only full season with Galatasaray than they achieved the past season without him. Barca - yep he has 2 years without a trophy but prior to that he won the league and European Cup. I'd be happy with that!

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be interesting to stop thinking as fans for a moment (we all know what we want), and to try and imagine what Randy wants over the term of his next managers contract. It might point us to his target.

I believe it needs to be somebody who can work with that great investment we made in Bodymoor Heath and I would not be surprised if thats what Randy thinks rather than someone who just wants to piss his money up the wall on average players. Lets make it clear I am a thingamebob hater

The fact is Randy does not have the money to compete with Citeh adn the like.

I dont think van Gaal is reknowned for being a prick but rather not suffering fools and prima donnas gladly.

Which is another feather in his cap as far as I'm concerned.

Reading MM's post I think we narrow it down to three candidates

Moyes

Rafa

Carlo

RE: Moyes he's slightly different from the mediocre group (Hughes, Coyle etc) is the sense he has actually broke into the top 4 before! Also his Everton team goes on huge consistent runs on par with a top 4 team, if only they weren't so dodgy at the start of each season.

Now obviously we've got to rob Everton of him and convince him to come. Next on the list would be Rafa. A born winner and a massive coup for the club. Has previous with boards and likes a ruck but if he feel he can do something with us Randy would take him imo. The financial constraints would be clearly stated to him before he took the job.

Carlo like Rafa would depend on whether he feel he could do something with our budget, and if he wanted to come. You have to see it as unlikely but I'd have him as third fave atm.

I don't know why so many are seething about Mclaren it's obviously NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

What about van Gaal with AZ Alkmaar??? He went there won the league and got them in the champions league. I had never bloody heard of them before he went there !

Replace 'van Gaal' with 'McClaren' and 'AZ Alkmaar' with 'FC Twente'.

I had heard of FC Twente

plus look at McClaren with Boro, Wolfsburg and England

now look at van Gaal with Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern and Holland

no real comparison

Boro was steves first managerial job. He won them a trophy and got them to a european final.

Van gaal did well with much better teams,whats your point?

Van gaal is clearly a way better manager but steve is not the mug people try and make him out to be.

Do you remember when McLaren neraly got Boro relegated and the fan ran on and threw his season ticket at him?

Do you remeber the failure of England in the qualifying campaign.

Do you remember how much he spent at Wolfsburg who were Bundesliga champions a couple of seasons back before he got the scak because they were 15th??

Boro won the league cup and the UEFA final was more luck than judgement.

van Gaal is also renowned as an absolutely enormous prick.

So?

If your a prick but successful I dont care 8)

Exactly. His consistency in league competition over the years stands above all the other candidates.

I hope Randy is thinking the same thing 8)

Owen Coyle's achievements in 8 years of football management

Honours

Burnley

* 2008–09: The Championship Playoff Winner (promotion to the Premier League) – Burnley

* The Championship Manager of the Month - September 2008

Bolton Wanderers

* Premier League Manager of the Month - November 2010

WOW

I think that says it all really NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Considering hes only been in management since 2008 id say thats a decent record.

If were looking for a sucessful continental then why not take Juande Ramos?? I mean, he took Seville from bottom half of La Liga and made them into champs league regulars and title challengers. Also won silverware with them. i think we should give him the chance to manage in the PL.

Oh wait...

Mystery Man

The Bent deal was kept under wraps for a while no one really had much of a sniff what was going on . If you had asked the majority of Villa supporters pre the Bent deal if we would spend 18 to 24 million on a proven striker of this calibre I bet most would say no our ambition is no better than say a Robbie Keane or Dejemba Ba .

Think we may be surprised who we actually get but the one thing for certain is they won't rock the deal by going public on it until it's done !

That's spot on. The Bent deal, which was only a few months ago, showed that the board are prepared to show huge ambition. Not only that but they're good at keeping it under wraps. I think I remember Bent's name being mentioned on here as the possible "marquee signing" but that's all. Personally I think we're in for a pleasant surprise with regards to the manager. Here's hoping for Carlo. :)

When did MM make this post and where?

KHV are you a recruitment consultant?

Why should the next manager have won honours at the highest level already? Why does he need to already have experience of managing a big club? If he has these things on his cv why is he available and why would he come to Villa?

The answer is because nobody else wants him as he is a has been or never quite was being!

If we are ever to compete at the highest level we need to take a chance on a manager whose star is still ascending. We need to get somebody in who is under the Champions League clubs' radars at the moment.

I've posted on here supporting Coyle, Moyes and Lambert, but the lads who are mentioning Martinez are also making a good call.

I'm telling you, though, if its Benitez there will be CIVIL WAR!!

Owen Coyle's achievements in 8 years of football management

Honours

Burnley

* 2008–09: The Championship Playoff Winner (promotion to the Premier League) – Burnley

* The Championship Manager of the Month - September 2008

Bolton Wanderers

* Premier League Manager of the Month - November 2010

WOW

I think that says it all really NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Considering hes only been in management since 2008 id say thats a decent record.

I mean, if were looking for a sucessful continental then why not take Juande Ramos?? I mean, he took Seville from bottom half of La Liga and made them into champs league regulars and title challengers. Also won silverware with them. i think we should give him the chance to manage in the PL.

Oh wait...

He has been in management since 2003!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Falkirk and St Johnstone

It seems to me that MM is hinting that a)he is a 'big' name that wont disappoint and b)he's a dark horse that isn't one of the 3 or 4 we're all talking about. The only person I can think of would be Scolari, is that too mental a thought?

KHV are you a recruitment consultant?

Why should the next manager have won honours at the highest level already? Why does he need to already have experience of managing a big club? If he has these things on his cv why is he available and why would he come to Villa?

The answer is because nobody else wants him as he is a has been or never quite was being!

If we are ever to compete at the highest level we need to take a chance on a manager whose star is still ascending. We need to get somebody in who is under the Champions League clubs' radars at the moment.

I've posted on here supporting Coyle, Moyes and Lambert, but the lads who are mentioning Martinez are also making a good call.

I'm telling you, though, if its Benitez there will be CIVIL WAR!!

THANK YOU!!

BIG NAME DOES NOT EQUAL INSTANT SUCCESS!!!!

PremRumours Premiership Rumours

@ @philrussell88 Trust me Phil. They always say that. Is why it's such a nightmare getting information out of Villa. We're trying. #AVFC

PremRumours Premiership Rumours

@ @philrussell88 I hope for your sake it isn't him either mate. Not all our sources can be 100% but most are. Villa are difficult.

Basically a fan saying the local press have denied him being in the running, then saying his sources can't always be 100% and Villa are difficult. Then he says it'll be announced either later tonight or tomorrow. I personally think he's full of shit.

Sellyoak Villa (Richard P Franks on Twitter)

Says it's Not McClaren

are villa THAT poor ?

i think some on here must think so

hughes? coyle? martinez? mcclaren? poyet?

really?

the LOWEST we should be aiming is moyes

are we financially ruined? no, so we dont need to take a gamble on some average won nothing type manager, this rules out hughes, coyle, martinez and poyet

are we in the bottom 6 of the league each year? no, so we dont need to be bothering with the likes of mcclaren

are we an established top 8 premiership club with a progressive owner who will invest in players?

are we a club who have cleared out a lot of the trouble/ old/ dead wood on high wages leaving the slate clean for a new man to come in and bring several of his own choice players?

are we a team with a couple top quality players in it and some very good youngsters brewaking into the firt team such as albrighton and clark?

i just thought i would check

Thing is we can`t just click our fingers and get the first choice targets,thats reality.

your right, we cant.

but with several top managers floating about, either available, almost avaliable or open to offers ( i think hitzfeld is open to offers), i dont think we should be contemplating going for 4th or 5th choice.

i partially agree with your thoughts on mccalren, he is certainly the best of a bad bunch of hughes martinez, poyet and coyle, at least he has achieved something in the game. but he is still 2 levels down from what we should be getting.

top teir being ancelotti, van gaal, hitzfeld

2nd tie being rijkaard and moyes

then you have your mcclarens

then you have your joe average

I dont think van Gaal is reknowned for being a prick but rather not suffering fools and prima donnas gladly.

I've got a book on football management and another one on dutch football and van Gaal is seen as a man who is a stickler for keeping the Rinus Michels philosophy going, is a huge believer in player development, not just at youth level but that a seasoned professional can always improve. And is a stern taskmaster who, like Mazrim says, does not suffer fools lightly.

He is also a man who believes in the ethos, image and feel of a club, from top to bottom.

I would be extremely chuffed if we got him, but I think we would have a player mutiny on our hands. If they felt that Houllier was strict, then boy would they be in for a shock with this fella!

He is 'renowned for being a prick' in German media at the moment because he upset the apple cart at their beloved Bayern Munich and didn't win the league with them this year!

I do not take the media word for it, for what its worth I have never met the bloke. Can't argue that he is successful.

As I said he would give us a good kick up the arse.

What about van Gaal with AZ Alkmaar??? He went there won the league and got them in the champions league. I had never bloody heard of them before he went there !

Replace 'van Gaal' with 'McClaren' and 'AZ Alkmaar' with 'FC Twente'.

I had heard of FC Twente

plus look at McClaren with Boro, Wolfsburg and England

now look at van Gaal with Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern and Holland

no real comparison

Boro was steves first managerial job. He won them a trophy and got them to a european final.

Van gaal did well with much better teams,whats your point?

Van gaal is clearly a way better manager but steve is not the mug people try and make him out to be.

Do you remember when McLaren neraly got Boro relegated and the fan ran on and threw his season ticket at him?

Do you remeber the failure of England in the qualifying campaign.

Do you remember how much he spent at Wolfsburg who were Bundesliga champions a couple of seasons back before he got the scak because they were 15th??

Boro won the league cup and the UEFA final was more luck than judgement.

It might be interesting to stop thinking as fans for a moment (we all know what we want), and to try and imagine what Randy wants over the term of his next managers contract. It might point us to his target.

Randy will state the ambition of the club with his next appointment.

Will he want us competing for top 6? he will go all out to appoint moyes, top quality manager

Or will he be happy with us scratching around at the bottom half of the table aiming for midtable every season under McLaren, KFC Bargain Bucket type appointment

I was thinking more of whether his absolute priority is to reduce the wagebill, in which case managers like Van Gaal, Rijkaard and Benitez would be less likely to be appointed.

Whether he may insist on a "coach" improving and integrating our useful young players into the first team seventeen, in which case the apparent interest in Mclaren might be explained.

Whether he is looking for a manager to perform heroics with a reduced budget which would bring Martinez and Coyle into the equation.

Imo Moyes would be Randy's perfect fit for the job, but DM may not be interested, and if he was he would want a healthy budget to work with.