• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Aside from Wigan, Name 1 premier league club (aside from the ones just promoted) that has recruited a championship manager with no previous premier experience in the past 5 years.

Why does it have to be in the last 5 years?

The way modern football is, no one employs people from lower leagues any more. All recent managers employed by clubs have been managers with either prem experience or abroad. It's a huge risk taking a punt on a young up and coming manager because relegation can be absolutely disasterous - even Martinez had experience of two relegation battles and came through them. Having a punt on Grayson would be an unmitigated disaster IMO

The way modern football is, no one employs people from lower leagues any more. -> so we should not do it? since when should we base what we do 'on what everyone else does'. all that should matter is doing what is best for aston villa football club.

Appointing any manager is a risk. I'd rather gamble on a top 4 finish with a young ambitious manager who will build slowly than get a manager who will spend a lot and finish 8-10th each year.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with up and coming managers is that their pulling power in the transfer market is virtually nil.

agreed, that is a drawback but they may know 1 or 2 in championship that could turn into very good players.

Look, it's just my opinion. I dont want my club managed by someobody with absolutely no pedigree whatsoever. Especially when Hughes is available and we could have got Martin Jol.
Their pedigree is finishing mid-table, is that what we want?

I'd offer the job to Kevin McDonald if we're telling managers that we have little money and the focus is on bringing in youth players. If we're not going to invest then we might as well settle for someone with a connection with the club.

I'd offer the job to Kevin McDonald if we're telling managers that we have little money and the focus is on bringing in youth players. If we're not going to invest then we might as well settle for someone with a connection with the club.

Why not? With GMac and GC as his assistants im sure we could do something, but i would like some one at he top of the tree overseeing things like youth/academy and scouting.