• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I think its quite funny how that bloke must be feeling who spunked 25K on Martinez

...on Ellis's tip off too!

No bookie would take a £25k bet on a market that a punter could have "inside knowledge" about. They would risk losing too much money.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are people saying Martinez rejected us or wasn't interested?

He wasn't actually offered the job or even spoken to. Whelan said we contacted them 9 days ago. We were obviously spending that time lining up targets and Martinez was one of them.

However, Whelan obviously knew yesterday that there was no way we would be getting Martinez. We had obviously told him yesterday that we would not be following up our interest.

That's why he spoke to the media. He made it seem like his manager was on the way out but knew all along that he was going nowhere. Now look at the Wigan fans. They love Martinez for being loyal and Whelan is a hero for convincing him to stay.

We obviously feel that we have a chance of getting a manager who is higher up the list than Martinez.

Trust Randy, he knows what he's doing!

There is a manager available who wants the job. He won a trophy and got to the uefa final in his first management job. Then in his next club management job he won the dutch league.

Can`t think of his name.

I don't normally get wound up, but the passivity of people not just outside of villa but also some of our own fans, who are buying into all this media crap.

Martinez, Benitez etc have not turned us down, they were never offered the job or even had a meeting with Lerner in the first place.

Apply some common sense to the situation. Its obvious that no one really has a clue what Lerners intentions are, so stop believing all these so called ITK's.

Having an 'educated' guess Lerner has obviously drawn up a short list of managers that he is in the process of interviewing. This is probably going to take some time.

Everyone talking about Villa having no money to spend in the summer, I would love to know were that conclusion came from? Houlier already had several targets identified that we intended to buy before his illness. There are strong link that a 10mill deal to bring Foster is in place. These are all suggestions that we do have a lot of money to spend to rebuild the squad (which is obviously needed)

My suggestion is to keep your pants on and be patient, we have plenty of time. And stop listening to all the bull that is flying around.

Agreed.

Put this on the front page.

Randy is in control, and is echoing how professional our club is.

I thought the Wigan chairman had confirmed our contact with Martinez?

For me, something just DOES NOT add up here!

First we are linked with Ancelotti and he is supposed to be signing and then he says he is taking 1 year off from football. A rather strange thing to say unless you were being prevented from taking another job for 1 year for some reason, such as it is written in your previous contract?

Then we are supposedly rejected by Benitez because we wouldn't give him assurances about a £30m transfer kitty, which you would surely expect him to get if we are to sell at least 1 star player for a reported £20m? I mean come on, how can you expect a man to take a job at a club that has allowed 12 players to leave and not expect him to want at least £30m to try to re-build his own squad? I personally didn't think that was asking too much by the FSW.

Then, we are led to believe that Martinez was on his way, although his existing Chairman believed he would stay loyal to him, which turns out to be true with Villa not even getting to the negotiations stage.

Now we are led to believe it will be David Moyes who got nearly 50% of the vote of fans in the original poll.

Now, maybe it's me but wouldn't you have started with Moyes BEFORE you even thought of talking to Martinez? If we get Moyes now, what will that say? Does it mean that we were being advised to go for Martinez because people at the club thought that he was better than Moyes? If so i find that a bit worrying to be honest.

This is my own personal theory. I believe that our original target was Ancelotti and that he wanted the job too but he had an agreement in his contract that forbids him to manage any other club for 1 year after leaving his post at Chelsea. So, with that in mind, Villa search for someone to fill the hotseat for just a year before we are allowed to bring in Ancelotti.

Benitez still has a reputation to keep intact and would obviously want to spend some cash in that time in order to give himself as good a chance as possible to get us up the table and to a decent enough finish to sell himself to another future club. Villa refuse to give such a large amount to a temporary manager and the deal is off.

They then turn to Martinez after being alerted to the fact that he only has 1 year left at Wigan. Maybe the board thought that a deal could be struck that suited both parties. He still has employment for a year and gets the chance to show what he can do at a bigger club in order to sell himself to a bigger club than Wigan when we let him go at the end of the year. He hears about this proposal from his chairman and decides that this is not for him and that he would prefer the stability of a new 3 year deal with his existing club. I mean, come on, why else would he turn down even talking to Villa to stay at such an un-ambitious club? Surely they wouldn't be offering him so much in wages and promised transfer funds that he wouldn't even give us time of day to interview him?

That leaves Villa frustrated and thinking that maybe they are wasting time in finding a man with the right credentials to fill the post for just a year. After all, they would still need to ensure that we are in the top flight at the end of it and would therefore need someone of substantial enough quality to lead us for that time. So then they decide to change direction from their original path and take a permanent manager now and they then turn to the man whom the fans wanted from the very start - David Moyes!

If this is not the case, you have to ask serious questions about Randy and the ambition of the club. Why not look at Moyes before Martinez? Why wouldn't a man like Martinez even give us time of day for an interview?

I don't buy all this shit that we are not a big club. I just think that our aims didn't suit the potential target and maybe we have now had to change tack and look at getting in the main man now instead of in a year's time. At least, I hope that is what is happening!

Had an idea, lets just try and play the media.

If we all stick it on twitter and maybe here - that Alain Perrin is frontrunner for the Villa job, lets see him enter the bookies market and track his odds!

Thats how to deal with the fuckwits!

#Perrin2Villa

Lapping up media bullshit? Sorry I'm pissed off because of the official statement from our club. The manager of Wigan didn't even want to talk to us! He could well get relegated next season and he'd rather take those chances than come and speak to us about the job here.

And I don't buy into all this fair play he's loyal shit, at the end of the day he was a manager high up on our shortlist and he had no interest discussing things. If a Wigan player turned us down while houllier or MON was in charge we'd blame the manager that they couldn't convice the player to leave a club destined for relegation battles to come and talk to us. But for some reason randy is untouchable.

And the press clearly don't know much but wether it's true or not we are still being made to look a shambles through the press and it's hard to shift perceptions when everyone is talking about it.

Other managers out of work won't be too pleased because now it will look like they're all second or third choice.

It does nothing for the image of the club to have the manager of Wigan publicly dismiss us so easily.

Randy needs to do something to attract a name the fans can get behind and have confidence in.

we wanted to interview martiniez is my understanding? that doesnt mean we were going to offer the job does it? surely we are aiming higher, I don't expect Mourinho or Sir Alex but Martinez would have been out of his depth, I can't imagine how Martinez is the guy to convince players like Downing there future is at Villa or have we given up on Downing all together. I'm sure RM will be decent in the future but too much of a gamble in my eyes. It's dissapointing that with a footballing world of managers to choose from we are interested in interviewing and considering Martinez.

Hughes would at least have some sort of proven record, as would Moyes as would pretty much everyone else on the voting list, dare I say it even McClaren even though he's a drip. I just don't understand Martinez even being considered. Just because we don't know what he 'may' achieve was no decent argument just because he's young. In my opinion we need established and at least a manager with some decent experience. VILLA IS A HUGE JOB managers like Martinez are not huge and 'potential' isn't going to cut it for me.

The whole thing appears very smoke and mirrors, perhaps I'm being naive or blindly optimistic but it seems like a very clever plan for some kind of bigger picture.

Think about it, how many people will be gobsmacked when we do appoint someone good media and fans of all kinds up and down the country. They might be laughing now but...

smoke and mirror rubbish..its just media..end of.

Villa have said 3 things.

1. were getting a manager

2. be patient

3 its not martinez

thats it. all the rest is us, media and Mystery Man...hahah whoever he is...

Lerner is the best chairman we ever had....O Neill was great until it turned sour...Houliier was a woory but was moving in the right direction. Lets not slag anybody off until we know who it is and then we can all have our say. Me I'd love Rijkaard and have said that from the start...will it be him...according to Mysterman No its Moyes...but for all we know it could be Kenny Dalglish or Barry Fry

Makes you wonder if they have sent out for permission to speak to managers in employment who else they have sounded out, that haven't gone crying to the media.

I wonder if we are to get any talk from scouserland?

Why are people saying Martinez rejected us or wasn't interested?

He wasn't actually offered the job or even spoken to. Whelan said we contacted them 9 days ago. We were obviously spending that time lining up targets and Martinez was one of them.

However, Whelan obviously knew yesterday that there was no way we would be getting Martinez. We had obviously told him yesterday that we would not be following up our interest.

That's why he spoke to the media. He made it seem like his manager was on the way out but knew all along that he was going nowhere. Now look at the Wigan fans. They love Martinez for being loyal and Whelan is a hero for convincing him to stay.

We obviously feel that we have a chance of getting a manager who is higher up the list than Martinez.

Trust Randy, he knows what he's doing!

Yes, I recon Whelan has played us as well.

We contacted them 9 days ago but he came out with that news now just before Martinez agrees to stay on.

He knew what was going to happen today when he was blabbing yesterday.

Lapping up media bullshit? Sorry I'm pissed off because of the official statement from our club. The manager of Wigan didn't even want to talk to us! He could well get relegated next season and he'd rather take those chances than come and speak to us about the job here.

And I don't buy into all this fair play he's loyal shit, at the end of the day he was a manager high up on our shortlist and he had no interest discussing things. If a Wigan player turned us down while houllier or MON was in charge we'd blame the manager that they couldn't convice the player to leave a club destined for relegation battles to come and talk to us. But for some reason randy is untouchable.

And the press clearly don't know much but wether it's true or not we are still being made to look a shambles through the press and it's hard to shift perceptions when everyone is talking about it.

Other managers out of work won't be too pleased because now it will look like they're all second or third choice.

It does nothing for the image of the club to have the manager of Wigan publicly dismiss us so easily.

Randy needs to do something to attract a name the fans can get behind and have confidence in.

How about you wait and see, we could go and make the press out to be mugs next week. Unfortunately as usual you have no patience and choose to be negative about every situation going.

Coop has just posted this

← @Coop_86's profile close ×

»

AVFCMysteryMan Sky Dream

by TheVillans

100% Moyes The smoke and mirror stuff is over. the ginger one is on his way to Villa Park

45 minutes ago in reply to ↑

@Coop_86

Chris Cooper

@AVFCMysteryMan LOL . Either you have some major guess work going on, or you are a naughty man...

43 minutes ago via web

In reference to Moyes being mentioned, this was who everyone was going on about last night.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2011/06/10/swains-take-on-martinezs-villa-snub/

Although it's bullshit, it's not exactly helping our image is it? People will buy into it and it could affect our sponsors, sales etc.

This isn't really professionalism by the board. It's more alienation imo.

It would pay off if we were kept in the dark to reveal a brilliant manager. But if it's someone like Hughes, the front running from the start, one of the most predictable and uninspring managers to date, then it would be a shambles. We won't look like we've came out of roses at all.