Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I have always wondered whether karma actually exists. People always say ''what goes around, comes around'', but does it though? Or is that just something people say to try and make humans do right.  Is there any way of proving what goes around actually come around. Interested in your thoughts.

Yes Karma exists.  When somebody does something nasty like volley a kitten over a fence, the case is taken straight to the panel of Karma gods who live in a wonderful white sky castle who judge the harshness of the crime.  They then use their super powers to manipulate the large composition of atoms on earth to make something that is considered bad by a race known as humans happen to the cat volleyer.

Everyone knows that.

How long it would take us to use up all the earth's oxygen if oxygen production ceased right now.

I reckon everything would die off before the very last drop of oxygen was used up. Hence it would never get fully used up.

How long it would take us to use up all the earth's oxygen if oxygen production ceased right now.

I reckon everything would die off before the very last drop of oxygen was used up. Hence it would never get fully used up.

How long do you reckon it would take from now until then in that scenario for the last human to die?

Following a bit of extremely shoddy google research, I think it'd be a very long time, up in the thousands of years. However, I need to take animals out of the equation unfortunately. They must go, along with the trees, the bacteria and the small heath fans.

The average person uses roughly 3kg of oxygen per day, give or take. Multiply that by 7 billion gives 21,000,000,000 kg per day.

The atmosphere has a mass of about 5×10^18 kg, 21% of which is oxygen (according to wiki). So let's say there's 1x10*18 Kg of oxygen in the atmosphere.

That's equates to 5x10^7 days or 137 thousand years. 

Edit: I had to edit that after falling for the old American / British billion tricks. Also many websites say the average human only uses about 1kg of oxygen per day, so you could argue that we'd last 3 times what i've stated.

Edited by Shillzz

Shillzz, don't forget that machinery and industry burns a lot of it too, so unless we stop using the world as we currently use it, we would be consuming it far more than by just breathing it.

Yeah, true enough.

I don't think there's anyway of answering it at all accurately. Even if you took machinery and all other human activity out of it, there would still be natural fires etc that would use up the oxygen.

Â