Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

AVFCforever1991 hasn't posted in a couple of days (well, about 46 hours to be precise)... is this the longest he's gone without posting? Is he all right? Has he been put in jail for breaking into Katy Perry's house to sniff her panties?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Haha  :D

Nope, just came back from Germany and pretty much slept the whole day yesterday, but it's good to know you care Levi...

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 1

I wonder if the Old Vic, Old Trafford and the Old Firm were always called "Old"...and when they were still new, and called "Old"....why?

"The name Old Trafford possibly derives from the time when there were two Trafford Halls, Old Trafford Hall and New Trafford Hall."

"On 1 July 1834 the theatre was renamed the Royal Victoria Theatre, under the "protection and patronage" of Victoria, Duchess of Kent, mother to Princess Victoria, the 14-year-old heir presumptive. The duchess and the princess visited only once, on 14 November of that year, but enjoyed the performance, of light opera and dance, in the "pretty...clean and comfortable" theatre. The single visit scarcely justified the "Old Vic" its later billing as "Queen Victoria's Own Theayter""

"The Old Firm is the collective name for the Glasgow association football clubs Rangers and Celtic. The origin of the term is unclear but may derive from the commercial benefits of the two clubs' rivalry"

A mate and I were having a discussion based on the existence of God and he actually asked me a very good question.

'I wonder can you visualise nothing.' No light no dark, nothing.' I automatically closed my eyes and as quick as a flash he said 'but you see darkness.'

His point was that there must have been some powerful being that started the chain reaction which created life.

A mate and I were having a discussion based on the existence of God and he actually asked me a very good question.

'I wonder can you visualise nothing.' No light no dark, nothing.' I automatically closed my eyes and as quick as a flash he said 'but you see darkness.'

His point was that there must have been some powerful being that started the chain reaction which created life.

How? Where's the "logical" leap?

That's the standard religious get-out though.

[something that can't currently be explained by science]

[see, that means there's a God]

..... Science explains it. Boundaries get re-drawn ...

Religion just moves on to the next thing that 'must be because of God', until science explains that too.

Rinse and repeat over time immemorial.

That's the standard religious get-out though.

[something that can't currently be explained by science]

[see, that means there's a God]

..... Science explains it. Boundaries get re-drawn ...

Religion just moves on to the next thing that 'must be because of God', until science explains that too.

Rinse and repeat over time immemorial.

God of the gaps

• Like 1

Why does it have to be that particular God anyway? You know, the crazy one.

Good question.

It's plausible to me that there is "something" else to all of this, *perhaps* (the minutest possibility) even something we would consider conscious. Why it has to be a nut job with a beard is beyond me. Even more mental to me is the idea that we should worship "it", conscious or not.

It's a mad world. I wonder sometimes, how is it we're all so vastly different.

Here's a thought. There was never nothing. You can't make something from nothing, ergo because there is now something there must always have been something. Perhaps it's cyclical. Otherwise if you think something was made from nothing, we must re-assess what we literally mean by the term 'nothing'.

Here's a thought. There was never nothing. You can't make something from nothing, ergo because there is now something there must always have been something. Perhaps it's cyclical. Otherwise if you think something was made from nothing, we must re-assess what we literally mean by the term 'nothing'.

"Nothing" *is* poorly defined. Something comes from nothing continuously at all times in all of spacetime, if by "nothing" the questioner means "vacuum". If "nothing" is not equivalent to "vacuum", we would need a definition of "nothing". If the questioner means "the logical opposite of all spacetime" then that is unknowable and probably meaningless (like asking which way is south when at the south pole).

You'd probably need to invent a god to know the unknowable, but don't ask who made the god, because it's not inventing god that's silly, it's inventing something which invented god which is silly.

Â