Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

One for the Scrabble fans. I wonder what the odds were against this? My opening word was GENITOR (vertical). I later added the 'S' to get a treble word score for GENITORS. And my final move of the game was another treble, bottom left - GENITORS again. 

Screenshot_2021-07-03-15-42-28-51_7ed14ab8792f2011635abecfa2e446b4~2.jpg

• Like 1

On 01/07/2021 at 14:42, choffer said:

I was thinking something similar following the booing the other day.

I guess for me, I'm trying to work out where the line is as context and nuance don't seem to exist in most arguments these days. If I follow an objectionable character on Twitter, why does that have to be seen as an endorsement? I just want to hear what nonsense that twunt (whoever he/she is) has been spouting of late. If a mate tells me a joke in which a woman is the object of ridicule, am I a misogynist for laughing? It doesn't mean I agree with the content of the joke. 

Then when it comes to race (acknowledging Mike's point that German isn't a race), it gets confusing for me. Obviously you don't "punch down" on minorities but as a proud Scot, I joke that I support two teams - Scotland and whoever is playing England. I don't mean it but it's a fun thing to play along with. Does it make me anti-English?

The booing of anthems is not so much about racism, more about disrespect. I'm sure many of those that did it will claim that booing the anthem or singing 10 German Bombers is just a bit of fun and shouldn't be taken seriously but if German fans did it to God Save The Queen, there'd be uproar. 

I think I need to think this through a bit more but I also suspect there is no defined line which one cannot cross. 

There's only two things I hate in this world - People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Exactly. Was shocked when I heard it. Obviously I'm a bit naive.

On 02/07/2021 at 20:20, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

I hope someone asks Gillian Keegan whether she still thinks it's okay to boo players for taking the knee because they're Marxist revolutionaries, or if she's considered revising that take.

Probably ought to send someone round to Lee Anderson's house as well, make sure he's staying out of trouble in all this free time he's got when everyone else is watching the football.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

On 04/07/2021 at 03:40, sharkyvilla said:

Also I wonder how many words I've read, that I've never said e.g. 'extravaganza' which I must have seen on a hundred leaflets but never said aloud.

You said it after posting that, didn't you? 

Go on, admit it. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Has anyone done that “beep beep” thing on their arm? Does it really hurt or is it just some feeble youtubers doing a thing? 

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Xela said:

Is it acceptable to sing along to Rolling Stones' Brown Sugar nowadays?

Depends which version I guess, Jagger has changed the lyrics a number of times in later years

• Like 1

Â