Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

It’s not about being offended, it’s just finding it unnecessary. No need to try to turn it into a ‘being soft’ issue.

My emotional response to people booing another country’s anthem is “lol ok calm down dickhead”

I find most football songs cringe, but do you sing along to “The referees a rocket polisher”? Or something along those lines. 

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Until this tournament, it'd honestly never occurred to me that anyone would be genuinely offended because their country's anthem was booed. I find it about as offensive as someone saying they don't like fish and chips. 

I just hope they don't insult our national flower, it'd upset me for weeks.

So have you never once wondered why they say over the PA system before the anthems are played “please stand and respect the national anthems”? It kinda suggests that some people may take offence if they’re not acknowledged appropriately, right? That announcement has been going on for years.

I don’t MASSIVELY care, I don’t spend my nights lying awake thinking about it. I think it’s kind of bad look and it’s sad how often it happens when England play. It happens in other nation’s matches, I know. 

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

It’s not about being offended, it’s just finding it unnecessary. No need to try to turn it into a ‘being soft’ issue.

I was replying after reading someone on the previous page specifically say that was reasonable to be offended by it!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

My Clapham Omnibus test:

Gosh, that took me right back to the law section of my insurance exams.

Animated GIF

We'll all be drinking decomposed snails out of opaque bottles next. 

• Like 3

Just now, a m ole said:

Personally, no

Do you think it’s ok or necessary? Not having a dig at you here like, but just using an example of the dogs abuse referees and managers get for just doing there job . There’s tribalism in football more so than any other sport, I think. 

FWIW, I'd tailor my response to the opponent.

Bloody germans? You bet they get a booing. Denmark? Great bunch of lads, quiet respect for you. Scotland? Boo so loudly I'll lose my voice. Antigua? Don't even know where it is, no boos for you. Anywhere in Africa or Asia, god no, that looks a bit racist.

Edited by Davkaus

I know the English FA have tried to stamp out the IRA chant that was common practise and a regular at England games. It was successful in doing so for a bit, but not sure if that’s still the case as I rarely watch England anymore. 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Gosh, that took me right back to the law section of my insurance exams.

Animated GIF

We'll all be drinking decomposed snails out of opaque bottles next. 

Chapelton vs Barry Urban District Council

Precedent set: you can’t put terms and conditions on the back of the ticket for the deckchair when you only get to see the ticket once you’ve paid for the hire of the deckchair.

Loved all that, like you say, it must have been nearly 40 years ago but I can still quote the case names. Donoghue vs Stevenson being number 1.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Do you think it’s ok or necessary? Not having a dig at you here like, but just using an example of the dogs abuse referees and managers get for just doing there job . There’s tribalism in football more so than any other sport, I think. 

I think that particular song during the game is fine, it’s not particularly necessary but it is in reaction to what’s happening on the pitch. The anthem bit just isn’t part of the pantomime to me and I find it strange. When the tribalism bleeds off the pitch is where it it starts to feel like ‘chill out’ territory.

Just now, a m ole said:

I think that particular song during the game is fine, it’s not particularly necessary but it is in reaction to what’s happening on the pitch. The anthem bit just isn’t part of the pantomime to me and I find it strange. When the tribalism bleeds off the pitch is where it it starts to feel like ‘chill out’ territory.

I suppose we all have different views. Now I’m not pro booing by the way, I just don’t see the big deal at all, and I’d say directing abuse at one person doing his job is just as abusive if not more. Tribalism exists in the stands and always has. It doesn’t mean I’m referring to violence. Segregation alone creates tribalism . 

I said on twitter that I thought the German girl crying was funny. Because it was. It was **** hilarious.

I specifically said that any abuse or name calling aimed towards her was uncalled for and not acceptable.

I got called a psychopath, told I have a personality disorder, and told that I must also find racist abuse funny. Not because that was seen as racism, just that someone who finds a girl crying funny must also find racist abuse funny.

People are weird.

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I didn’t find the little girl crying funny. It’s a little girl crying, I don’t quite see what’s funny about it to be honest. Maybe it’s paternal instincts kicking in, but I felt a bit sorry for her, I think I let out an audible “aww” when she appeared. I know how she was feeling, I’m sure we all do but we were probably fortunate enough to not be displayed on the big screens for people to laugh at.

If it was a grown adult acting inconsolable, I could see that being mildly amusing.

^^^^^

THIS 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I didn’t find the little girl crying funny. It’s a little girl crying, I don’t quite see what’s funny about it to be honest. Maybe it’s paternal instincts kicking in, but I felt a bit sorry for her, I think I let out an audible “aww” when she appeared. I know how she was feeling, I’m sure we all do but we were probably fortunate enough to not be displayed on the big screens for people to laugh at.

If it was a grown adult acting inconsolable, I could see that being mildly amusing.

Bang on! Too many thick neanderthals using the "but it's only football banter innit! WAHEY!!!11!!" excuse for cheering at a little girl visibly upset. Seriously, get a life. 

Edited by jones1328

I didn’t see the game so perhaps I’m missing a bit of context, but I’ve seen the ‘controversy’ over the crying kid.

If a toddler falls over in an acrobatic way, that’s funny. If a kid is spooked by a lion in a zoo, that’s funny. Face plant in to food, funny.

Kid is sad at the football? Adult thinks its **** hilarious? Bit weird.

Â