Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

17 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Is anti German racism acceptable? 

For me the answer is no but for some reason even amongst people I consider left wing, its OK. 

Have we ever forgiven them for putting their towels down at 6 in the morning on holiday and leaving us no sun loungers?

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Is anti German racism acceptable? 

For me the answer is no but for some reason even amongst people I consider left wing, its OK. 

I was thinking something similar following the booing the other day.

I guess for me, I'm trying to work out where the line is as context and nuance don't seem to exist in most arguments these days. If I follow an objectionable character on Twitter, why does that have to be seen as an endorsement? I just want to hear what nonsense that twunt (whoever he/she is) has been spouting of late. If a mate tells me a joke in which a woman is the object of ridicule, am I a misogynist for laughing? It doesn't mean I agree with the content of the joke. 

Then when it comes to race (acknowledging Mike's point that German isn't a race), it gets confusing for me. Obviously you don't "punch down" on minorities but as a proud Scot, I joke that I support two teams - Scotland and whoever is playing England. I don't mean it but it's a fun thing to play along with. Does it make me anti-English?

The booing of anthems is not so much about racism, more about disrespect. I'm sure many of those that did it will claim that booing the anthem or singing 10 German Bombers is just a bit of fun and shouldn't be taken seriously but if German fans did it to God Save The Queen, there'd be uproar. 

I think I need to think this through a bit more but I also suspect there is no defined line which one cannot cross. 

There's only two things I hate in this world - People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

I was thinking something similar following the booing the other day.

I guess for me, I'm trying to work out where the line is as context and nuance don't seem to exist in most arguments these days. If I follow an objectionable character on Twitter, why does that have to be seen as an endorsement? I just want to hear what nonsense that twunt (whoever he/she is) has been spouting of late. If a mate tells me a joke in which a woman is the object of ridicule, am I a misogynist for laughing? It doesn't mean I agree with the content of the joke. 

Then when it comes to race (acknowledging Mike's point that German isn't a race), it gets confusing for me. Obviously you don't "punch down" on minorities but as a proud Scot, I joke that I support two teams - Scotland and whoever is playing England. I don't mean it but it's a fun thing to play along with. Does it make me anti-English?

The booing of anthems is not so much about racism, more about disrespect. I'm sure many of those that did it will claim that booing the anthem or singing 10 German Bombers is just a bit of fun and shouldn't be taken seriously but if German fans did it to God Save The Queen, there'd be uproar. 

I think I need to think this through a bit more but I also suspect there is no defined line which one cannot cross. 

There's only two things I hate in this world - People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

That’s the problem this day and age. Everyone gets offended too easily. Years ago national anthems were always getting booed, then it stopped for a while and football went all nice. Now I’m only talking about it stopping only a few years ago. I think having a bit of tribalism in football is good. Take it away and it becomes, well, too nice. 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

That’s the problem this day and age. Everyone gets offended too easily. Years ago national anthems were always getting booed, then it stopped for a while and football went all nice. Now I’m only talking about it stopping only a few years ago. I think having a bit of tribalism in football is good. Take it away and it becomes, well, too nice. 

But why would you do something to deliberately cause offence? Sure - we like to take the mick out of the noses or the redscouse but why the need to be offensive? I don't think someone being upset by their national anthem being booed is being offended too easily.

• Like 1

Do away with anthems, that’s my plan to sort that particular problem out.

As far as the football goes, I wonder how much of the anti Germany stance is down to the world wars and how much of it is down to previous footballing encounters that haven’t gone England’s way. 

• Like 1

The line for me is the difference between making noise and putting the opposition off during the game and booing the fact that they’re from somewhere by targeting the anthem. It’s where it stops being banter. Like play wresting with your mates as a kid, then some dickhead gets someone in a choke hold and spoils the fun.

• Like 1

Its interesting the amount of people who got very angry that a female newsreader would giggle at the size of a mans flag versus the amount of people that think its ok to mock a nations national anthem. They are the same person for clarity. 

Before. I am pulled into defending something I don’t care about, I am not overly concerned outside of noting that the germans were the target of comedians, press etc. 

Edited by Seat68

My Clapham Omnibus test:

If I was at a ground and someone booed an anthem and someone walked around from the other side and lamped him on the chin, I’d think they were both stupid but it was kind of predictable and tough luck.

if someone was shouting and booing to put someone off a penalty, and it caused the opposition fan to get arsey, I’d think the opposition fan was a dick.

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't boo during a national anthem, but it doesn't really bother me that it happens either.

I couldn't care less if people booed God Save the Queen. I've always seen it as nothing more than pantomime booing. I'm happy to be corrected though.

I was more put out with the amount of tweets abusing that crying little German girl in the crowd, calling her a 'nazi slag' etc. I find that lot more concerning.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, choffer said:

But why would you do something to deliberately cause offence? Sure - we like to take the mick out of the noses or the redscouse but why the need to be offensive? I don't think someone being upset by their national anthem being booed is being offended too easily.

It’s all a matter of opinions. I honestly couldn’t give a shit if fans boo God Save The Queen, so naturally I see no problem with our fans booing the opposition. Is it really that offensive? I don’t think so, but each to their own. We quite happily call blues fans all names under the sun on here, but at the end of the day they are just normal people like ourselves with a few extra bad apples thrown in with them. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Do away with anthems, that’s my plan to sort that particular problem out.

As far as the football goes, I wonder how much of the anti Germany stance is down to the world wars and how much of it is down to previous footballing encounters that haven’t gone England’s way. 

There’s a massive rivalry between us, so it’s expected. Like I said previously let’s not make football too nicey nice. 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

There’s a massive rivalry between us, so it’s expected. Like I said previously let’s not make football too nicey nice. 

Someone should let the Germans know, because they're totally unaware of it haha

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I personally wouldn't boo during a national anthem, but it doesn't really bother me that it happens either.

I couldn't care less if people booed God Save the Queen. I've always seen it as nothing more than pantomime booing. I'm happy to be corrected though.

I was more put out with the amount of tweets abusing that crying little German girl in the crowd, calling her a 'nazi slag' etc. I find that lot more concerning.

It is pantomime booing mainly. Now the thing with the little girl, now that’s pure and simply wrong . 

• Like 1

Until this tournament, it'd honestly never occurred to me that anyone would be genuinely offended because their country's anthem was booed. I find it about as offensive as someone saying they don't like fish and chips. 

I just hope they don't insult our national flower, it'd upset me for weeks.

• Like 2

Just now, Paddywhack said:

Someone should let the Germans know, because they're totally unaware of it haha

I wouldn’t really know tbf. I should have said it’s a big rivalry for English fans then. 

• Like 1

Â