mjmooney

Things you often Wonder

I know that people forget things from their past in a normal lifespan and old memories can become very vague and distant, but if you were to live for thousands upon thousands of years I imagine at some point you wouldn't just forget certain details, you'd eventually forget about everything beyond a certain point in the past. Reminds me that I used to wonder how do I know that I'm not born into a new life every day and given relevant memories each time, so it feels like I've always been this person.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

how do I know that I'm not born into a new life every day and given relevant memories each time, so it feels like I've always been this person.

That's exactly what that SF story I mentioned hangs on. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, useless said:

I know that people forget things from their past in a normal lifespan and old memories can become very vague and distant, but if you were to live for thousands upon thousands of years I imagine at some point you wouldn't just forget certain details, you'd eventually forget about everything beyond a certain point in the past. Reminds me that I used to wonder how do I know that I'm not born into a new life every day and given relevant memories each time, so it feels like I've always been this person.

When you think about it.We are like goldfish living in a bowl.They dont know that they are living in a bowl.

When you hover with the mouse-cursor over someones profile pic and the userinfo pops up like this:

image.thumb.png.a17540476bfc8782a3a94977c678372e.png

does it register as a visit in the VT profile info?

image.png.a88d785b1d547797a57ad5e9e71a6671.png

From the Graun today... wtf!

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/may/28/reborn-a-photo-essay-by-didier-bizet

"Having appeared in the United States in the 1990s, ‘reborns’ are highly collectable dolls that look astonishingly like newborn babies."

The images in this are pretty bizarre. It's about as weird a thing as I've seen in quite a while!

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, villakram said:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/may/28/reborn-a-photo-essay-by-didier-bizet

"Having appeared in the United States in the 1990s, ‘reborns’ are highly collectable dolls that look astonishingly like newborn babies."

The images in this are pretty bizarre. It's about as weird a thing as I've seen in quite a while!

Why are people so strange :)

2 hours ago, Tegis said:

When you hover with the mouse-cursor over someones profile pic and the userinfo pops up like this:

image.thumb.png.a17540476bfc8782a3a94977c678372e.png

does it register as a visit in the VT profile info?

image.png.a88d785b1d547797a57ad5e9e71a6671.png

Niche.

5 hours ago, villakram said:

Apart from the obvious “why are people so mental?” musing, I also wonder how people would dispose of these ‘babies’. They’re so realistic you can’t just chuck it in the bin without causing a huge panic when the bin man finds it later on. You can’t really burn it without the neighbours ringing the police.

On 07/04/2020 at 20:29, Xela said:

I have a good view of the train station car park from my window. During normal times it is packed by 7:30am. The last couple of weeks its been interesting hows its reduced. Its generally about 7 or 8 cars now, which includes the people who work there. 

Sadly there has been one car that hasn't moved for nearly 2 weeks. You start to think why and then fear the worst. The owner could be ill in hospital or even worse :( 

Further update on this. 

The one car still hasn't moved so that is close to 3 months. 

Overall train station car park still empty - no more than 10-15 cars daily. The train company (West Mids Railway) must be losing a fortune. 

Does human activity cause the weather to change?

Is the recent great weather down to the fact that there are less people traveling about at the moment?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

YES

Is the recent great weather down to the fact that there are less people traveling about at the moment?

NO

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

As chris said, yes human activity changes the weather, but not as quickly as it would have to change for the current weather to be a result of lockdown

Maybe the lockdown hasn't changed the weather but rather people's perception of the weather.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Maybe the lockdown hasn't changed the weather but rather people's perception of the weather.

I think that's probably true.

Although it has apparently been the sunniest May on record, so we have had unusually good weather.

16 hours ago, useless said:

Sometimes when sitting at a train station I'll see a train pull in and I'll look at the passengers onboard and think to myself I've never seen those people before and when it departs will probably never see them again, which for some reason makes me feel quite melancholic, obviously you see people that you will never see again in other situations, but something about them being carried far away by a mighty train makes it all the more explicit and final.

Have a like for the phrase 'a mighty train'.

Why did girl bands and boy bands go out of fashion, at one time they ruled the charts, can only think of One Direction and Little Mix from recent times, and 1D split up quite a while ago now.

• Like 1

Has there been a big international girl band since destiny's child (if you class them as a girl band) 

I would guess its down to the success of solo artists, singer song writers is all the rage thanks to Ed 

And to be fair I'm going to throw this out there...the 1975 are a boy band... They've just picked up guitars and tried to convince people they're real musicians 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Has there been a big international girl band since destiny's child (if you class them as a girl band) 

I would guess its down to the success of solo artists, singer song writers is all the rage thanks to Ed 

And to be fair I'm going to throw this out there...the 1975 are a boy band... They've just picked up guitars and tried to convince people they're real musicians 

I think Girls Aloud and Little Mix have had a lot of success. 
Little Mix still around but there isn’t any big boy bands at the moment is there? Since 1 Direction jacked it in no body replaces them. 

Edited by Genie

You need to look away from the west and look to South Korea. Kpop bands are selling out stadia all around the world including here. BTS, Blackpink etc. 

• Like 3

Â