Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I think even after a couple of hundred years memories of large portions of your early life would become very vague and hazy. I suppose if you lived that long your personaliity would change a lot through the years as well, more than it does in a normal lifespan.

10 minutes ago, useless said:

I think even after a couple of hundred years memories of large portions of your early life would become very vague and hazy. 

A couple of hundred? Try sixty-odd! 🤨 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 1

Will they ever drop the 'ready' from 'salted crisps'? 

It's a hangover from the days when crisps (only one flavour: potato) came with a little blue bag of salt that you could use to season your crisps - or not, if you so preferred. No doubt some marketing genius realised that virtually everybody did use it, and it would be cheaper and easier to do away with the blue sachets. And to make it sound like it was a big labour-saver for the customer, and they were doing you a big favour, it was: "Hey! These crisps are - wow! - ready salted!!!" 

But that was probably over fifty years ago. "Ready salted" is a bit of a redundant selling point in 2020. Come to think of it, "salted" kinda goes without saying, anyway. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, useless said:

I think even after a couple of hundred years memories of large portions of your early life would become very vague and hazy. I suppose if you lived that long your personaliity would change a lot through the years as well, more than it does in a normal lifespan.

I'm only 34 and I'd say memories of my life before secondary school (so let's say between 0-10 years old) are already vague and hazy

I have a stupidly good long term memory.  I give a lot of my friends their childhoods back. 

But then I can't remember what I did 2 minutes ago a lot of the time.  I think people with memories like that are more susceptible to dementia.

On 25/05/2020 at 22:28, foreveryoung said:

Do cigarette companies have marketing departments? Do they have sales people? I mean how would they work out monthly budgets, they cant really force retailers to buy any more than they really need, an they can hardly put them on sale.

Yes and yes (I used to teach English to Philip Morris salesmen in Hanoi), though for the reasons you note those departments are mostly focused on developing countries.

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I have a stupidly good long term memory.  I give a lot of my friends their childhoods back. 

But then I can't remember what I did 2 minutes ago a lot of the time.  I think people with memories like that are more susceptible to dementia.

I hope not, because that is me to a  'T'. 

A few years back I met up with two old school mates who I hadn't seen since back then. Two of us could remember japes that we'd got up to at school, the other guy was completely blank on it. The thing is that my mate and I had both been starting to wonder if some of these memories were false, or embellished - but we were able to independently confirm details to 'fact check'. The other guy (who was definitely involved in the events) had completely 'blanked', even when reminded - and sat there in the pub looking bewildered while the other two of us roared with laughter at the memories. 

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Will they ever drop the 'ready' from 'salted crisps'? 

It's a hangover from the days when crisps (only one flavour: potato) came with a little blue bag of salt that you could use to season your crisps - or not, if you so preferred. No doubt some marketing genius realised that virtually everybody did use it, and it would be cheaper and easier to do away with the blue sachets. And to make it sound like it was a big labour-saver for the customer, and they were doing you a big favour, it was: "Hey! These crisps are - wow! - ready salted!!!" 

But that was probably over fifty years ago. "Ready salted" is a bit of a redundant selling point in 2020. Come to think of it, "salted" kinda goes without saying, anyway. 

Maybe they’ll change their name right after Carphone Warehouse 

• Like 2

I know that people forget things from their past in a normal lifespan and old memories can become very vague and distant, but if you were to live for thousands upon thousands of years I imagine at some point you wouldn't just forget certain details, you'd eventually forget about everything beyond a certain point in the past. Reminds me that I used to wonder how do I know that I'm not born into a new life every day and given relevant memories each time, so it feels like I've always been this person.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

how do I know that I'm not born into a new life every day and given relevant memories each time, so it feels like I've always been this person.

That's exactly what that SF story I mentioned hangs on. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, useless said:

I know that people forget things from their past in a normal lifespan and old memories can become very vague and distant, but if you were to live for thousands upon thousands of years I imagine at some point you wouldn't just forget certain details, you'd eventually forget about everything beyond a certain point in the past. Reminds me that I used to wonder how do I know that I'm not born into a new life every day and given relevant memories each time, so it feels like I've always been this person.

When you think about it.We are like goldfish living in a bowl.They dont know that they are living in a bowl.

When you hover with the mouse-cursor over someones profile pic and the userinfo pops up like this:

image.thumb.png.a17540476bfc8782a3a94977c678372e.png

does it register as a visit in the VT profile info?

image.png.a88d785b1d547797a57ad5e9e71a6671.png

From the Graun today... wtf!

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/may/28/reborn-a-photo-essay-by-didier-bizet

"Having appeared in the United States in the 1990s, ‘reborns’ are highly collectable dolls that look astonishingly like newborn babies."

The images in this are pretty bizarre. It's about as weird a thing as I've seen in quite a while!

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, villakram said:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/may/28/reborn-a-photo-essay-by-didier-bizet

"Having appeared in the United States in the 1990s, ‘reborns’ are highly collectable dolls that look astonishingly like newborn babies."

The images in this are pretty bizarre. It's about as weird a thing as I've seen in quite a while!

Why are people so strange :)

5 hours ago, villakram said:

Apart from the obvious “why are people so mental?” musing, I also wonder how people would dispose of these ‘babies’. They’re so realistic you can’t just chuck it in the bin without causing a huge panic when the bin man finds it later on. You can’t really burn it without the neighbours ringing the police.

Â