Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

21 hours ago, Seat68 said:

They are unable to say the word horror as well. 

Or mirror...which i guess is pretty much the same situation. 

Oops.....already posted by another VTer..

Edited by mottaloo

26 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I often wonder how much the burger vans make at VP. In particular, the one that springs readily to mind is on trinity road side of the holte, parked on the grass/kerb side.

I also wonder if that is a "protected" pitch ? Must be.

Yeah I think so too 

The future is in digbeth dining club style things ran by the club, wonder what kind of kick back there will be from the burger van traders 

• Like 1

Why do they have gyms in prisons? Why make dangerous* people even stronger?

*in some cases

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Xela said:

Why do they have gyms in prisons? Why make dangerous* people even stronger?

*in some cases

It gives them the means to burn off some energy, get rid of some anger etc... then when they’ve done that, they can run off and batter someone to death. 

• Like 1

Just now, It's Your Round said:

It gives them the means to burn off some energy, get rid of some anger etc... then when they’ve done that, they can run off and batter someone to death. 

yeah I know a couple of lads who have gone in to prison at an early age for drunken fighting and came out after say 6 months looking like brick shithouses and within another 6 months are back in there because they just moved up the fighting food chain in kiddy

all prison was good for was moving up weight classes

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I agree with having cardiovascular stuff, helps them burn energy off and maybe not cave each others heads in, but weights and anything that bulks someone one and makes then stronger should not be in there. 

• Like 1

HMP Portland

Sport is also given a high priority as an ideal way to release energy and develop potential, with a first-class rugby pitch, a well-equipped gym and all-weather football and basketball pitches. The institution received press attention some years ago because of the irony that it was offering a course in pole-vaulting. Undeterred, it has now added a climbing wall to its sporting facilities! 

211edPortland5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are actually stone masonry courses inside, there’s a national builder recruits directly from the course when the guys are released.

There’s also a national key cutting chain that has a small college inside one prison, so people have a trade when they leave.

Those industrial park climbing walls inside big warehouse units, a few of them employ ex cons.

Some of those correctly resourced programmes have a really exceptional record for stopping re offending and getting people employed and paying tax.

I’ll get my coat...

I don't think anyone is against cons learning skills like masonry or key cutting for Timpsons, but I do question filling prison gyms with dumb bells and weights machines. 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't think anyone is against cons learning skills like masonry or key cutting for Timpsons, but I do question filling prison gyms with dumb bells and weights machines. 

Yes, I do get the point, and I can completely see where you’re coming from with that.

No reason there shouldn’t be gym equipment. The issue comes with who uses it how. It’s a bit like TV being used as a babysitter. The prisons have been completely de funded and there isn’t the supervision or activity to control people. The gym is a cheap alternative to rehabilitation. With an obvious downside for some. 

Unfortunately, there are two alternatives. Take away the gym equipment, make people sit in a small beige room for 3 years and then release them in to society and hope they improved. Or spend more money in prisons.

From comments on social media, it appears just sitting in a room for 6 weeks is not as easy as many had thought.

Â