Jump to content
tonyh29

Things you often Wonder

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, limpid said:

Are you saying that you don't believe in the Easter bunny?

The human vision system is based on your brain processing the raw data through the filters of your cognitive biases and pattern matching. If you ever hear someone say "I know what I saw" then they're wrong. Your consciousness runs about 80ms behind real time to give the brain time to process the inputs. To catch a ball, your brain has to predict the future and organise your neurology and physiology to react in time. Anything you see from the "corner of your eye" is almost completely made up by your brain unless there is an auditory / olfactory component to enhance the "image". As you turn your head and better data is available your internal model is enhanced and after the fact you always saw that cat walking along the fence or there was always nothing on the fence. Sometimes you are aware of the post-processing and things feel "odd".

Hence optical illusions. Hence ghosts. Hence déjà vu. Hence "ice rink". All are processing errors or artefacts and ex post facto rationalisations. This is also why eye witness reports are poor primary evidence.

All vision is hallucination (but to a degree). Eyes aren't cameras.

^ This.  IOW the brain is a **** for filling in the gaps :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does the US flag on the moon stay in place? It's been up there 50 years. Surely they didn't take concrete did they. I mean I have put fence posts up that have come down in a lot less time than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, colhint said:

How does the US flag on the moon stay in place? It's been up there 50 years. Surely they didn't take concrete did they. I mean I have put fence posts up that have come down in a lot less time than that.

Not sure if serious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, colhint said:

How does the US flag on the moon stay in place? It's been up there 50 years. Surely they didn't take concrete did they. I mean I have put fence posts up that have come down in a lot less time than that.

Blue cheese doesn't go off in space

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, colhint said:

How does the US flag on the moon stay in place? It's been up there 50 years. Surely they didn't take concrete did they. I mean I have put fence posts up that have come down in a lot less time than that.

They watch it constantly, if it begins to droop they pop back in to the warehouse in Area 51 and prop it up again. Plus they’ve had good luck with the weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

They watch it constantly, if it begins to droop they pop back in to the warehouse in Area 51 and prop it up again. Plus they’ve had good luck with the weather.

Ridiculous.

The little green men from the dark side of the moon do it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Ridiculous.

The little green men from the dark side of the moon do it!

But the Nazis occupy the dark side

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bickster said:

But the Nazis occupy the dark side

The nazis identify as little green men now and wish to be identified with the pronoun 'ze'

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:
15 hours ago, bickster said:

Blue cheese doesn't go off in space

*Wensleydale 

*Waffle

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/09/2019 at 21:55, limpid said:

Are you saying that you don't believe in the Easter bunny?

The human vision system is based on your brain processing the raw data through the filters of your cognitive biases and pattern matching. If you ever hear someone say "I know what I saw" then they're wrong. Your consciousness runs about 80ms behind real time to give the brain time to process the inputs. To catch a ball, your brain has to predict the future and organise your neurology and physiology to react in time. Anything you see from the "corner of your eye" is almost completely made up by your brain unless there is an auditory / olfactory component to enhance the "image". As you turn your head and better data is available your internal model is enhanced and after the fact you always saw that cat walking along the fence or there was always nothing on the fence. Sometimes you are aware of the post-processing and things feel "odd".

Hence optical illusions. Hence ghosts. Hence déjà vu. Hence "ice rink". All are processing errors or artefacts and ex post facto rationalisations. This is also why eye witness reports are poor primary evidence.

All vision is hallucination (but to a degree). Eyes aren't cameras.

Johnny 5's are. So there. 

giphy.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Johnny 5's are. So there. 

He doesn't have eyes though.

eyes robot GIF by euronews

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, limpid said:

He doesn't have eyes though.

eyes robot GIF by euronews

Yeah @Ingram85 you big Wall-E.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â