Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 11/09/2019 at 07:55, choffer said:

Why do I fart about all day when I've got a report to submit tomorrow morning? I'm going to be up all night at this rate.

Been doing the same since school. One of these days I won't leave things to the last minute.

(I completely accept that I'm only making it worse by posting on VT instead of continuing to work on the report!).

On 11/09/2019 at 16:23, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I am the same,  it's an illness I am sure of it.  It's not on purpose either.

You're both rebels and you don't even know it, but that's okay, we need a few more than we have at present.

Meeting obligations or deadlines is rather mundane a lot of the time, even when it's something you want to engage.

"I hated every moment of training, but I loved every moment of being a champion"

"You will not always be motivated, that is why you must learn discipline"

The key word there being 'learn'. Because like any skill it is something you can develop with effort and guidance.

I have an issue that perplexes me, I get the work done but don't submit it!

I've actually just had to see a counselor at university so I can gain accreditation for work that I did but didn't submit.

Funny that @Amsterdam_Neil_D mentions illness, within 15 minutes counselor was suggesting I've had ADHD my whole life that's gone undiagnosed.

F*** off with that nonsense!

How can you ascertain sufficient details and knowledge to then have evidence and explanation for behaviour within 15 minutes of conversation?

There's a myriad of complexities and factors which determine tendencies and traits of people which chemistry, biology, social sciences etc. are only at the tip of the iceberg of.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

There's a myriad of complexities and factors which determine tendencies and traits of people which chemistry, biology, social sciences etc. are only at the tip of the iceberg of.

Nonsense. I'm just a lazy arse ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, choffer said:

This is on the door of one the meeting rooms at work. I'm left wondering what happens when someone walks out of the room and forgets to turn the light out?

You'd have to break the rules.  I hope you don't work in Germany, or that room would become completely useless.

• Haha 1

How many times do people have a hallucinations without even realizing it. If you were to see something like a hare laying eggs then you'd might rationalize that perhaps it can't be real, but something like a cat walking along a fence or a tree you might not even question.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, limpid said:

Are you saying that you don't believe in the Easter bunny?

The human vision system is based on your brain processing the raw data through the filters of your cognitive biases and pattern matching. If you ever hear someone say "I know what I saw" then they're wrong. Your consciousness runs about 80ms behind real time to give the brain time to process the inputs. To catch a ball, your brain has to predict the future and organise your neurology and physiology to react in time. Anything you see from the "corner of your eye" is almost completely made up by your brain unless there is an auditory / olfactory component to enhance the "image". As you turn your head and better data is available your internal model is enhanced and after the fact you always saw that cat walking along the fence or there was always nothing on the fence. Sometimes you are aware of the post-processing and things feel "odd".

Hence optical illusions. Hence ghosts. Hence déjà vu. Hence "ice rink". All are processing errors or artefacts and ex post facto rationalisations. This is also why eye witness reports are poor primary evidence.

All vision is hallucination (but to a degree). Eyes aren't cameras.

^ This.  IOW the brain is a **** for filling in the gaps :) 

1 hour ago, colhint said:

How does the US flag on the moon stay in place? It's been up there 50 years. Surely they didn't take concrete did they. I mean I have put fence posts up that have come down in a lot less time than that.

Not sure if serious. 

1 hour ago, colhint said:

How does the US flag on the moon stay in place? It's been up there 50 years. Surely they didn't take concrete did they. I mean I have put fence posts up that have come down in a lot less time than that.

Blue cheese doesn't go off in space

Â