Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

That reminds me of a (kinda) joke. Londonderry is the only city in the world where the first 6 letters are silent taz.gif

I like to, when anyone starts talking about Londonderry, say "Where's that? I've never heard of it." Oh how the mood quickly changes!

It works best with locals from a certain background, but it works well with Englishmen, who usually scramble about for a few minutes trying to find a diplomatic response.

Hehe yeah, much more satisfying when someone is genuinely trying not to offend and is scrambling for safe ground. It's cruel really.

Helpful Hint for those of you , should ever find yourself in this situation  ....  I usually find mentioning Cromwell brings you back to that safe ground

Helpful Hint for those of you , should ever find yourself in this situation  ....  I usually find mentioning Cromwell brings you back to that safe ground

That should be a 'malicious mallard' meme. If you're ever trying to calm the waters, mention Cromwell. Works every time :D

Cromwell disapproved of dancing on religious grounds. But he danced at his daughter's wedding.

I approve. Never let them get away without the embarrassing dad dance. It's an inviolable tradition.

Come back Queenie, all is forgiven. We tried to run the place ourselves and we've made a total balls of it. On that topic here's a very interesting article re- the psyche of us lot. I think the headline (i.e. the conclusion) gets it wrong, but I think the content of the article about why we do things and how we think in general, is the closest I've seen to someone verbalising what we're like.

That **** page crashed my laptop, twice. I thought it was a coincidence so I rebooted, loaded it up again and boom, same shit. 

I wonder why in 2013 an organisation as presumably large as The Irish Times (sounds proper at least) can't design a website that works?

Cue joke about the Irish having only just got the internet...

That reminds me of a (kinda) joke. Londonderry is the only city in the world where the first 6 letters are silent taz.gif

I'm reminded of a fellow I used to know called "Henry", only to give you an idea of how much of an individualist he was, he spelled it Hen3ry... the "3" was silent, you see.

Londonderry, New Hampshire

Londonderry is a town in western Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States. The town is bordered on the north by the city of Manchester and on the east by the town of Derry.

Londonderry lies in an area that was first known as "Nutfield" because of the dense woods with nut trees. The town was settled in 1718 by Scots-Irish settlers, many of whom had left their homes in Londonderry in the Province of Ulster in the north of Ireland, and arrived in Boston in 1718 to start a new life without religious wars and persecution. In 1722, the town was chartered and given the name "Londonderry".

Derry, New Hampshire

Although it was first settled by Scottish-Irish families in 1719, Derry was not incorporated until 1827. It was originally a part of Londonderry, as was Windham and portions of Manchester, Salem and Hudson. The town was named after the city of Derry in Ireland, the Irish word "Doire" meaning "oak woods."

(As was fairly standard in the colonies in the 18th century, arriving Ulstermen were fairly quickly directed to the frontier to serve as a buffer population against the French and Indians)

Edited by leviramsey

Queef.Why.

I think it's for vegetarians who like the meaty taste but don't want the guilt.

Soya think your funny do you? 

What's tomato with you?

I'm reminded of a fellow I used to know called "Henry", only to give you an idea of how much of an individualist he was, he spelled it Hen3ry... the "3" was silent, you see.

Sounds like a word removed.

Sounds like a word removed.

No words removed, just a number added.

• Like 4

Â