Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Where is the silent letter in any of those names. Every letter in those names directly affects the pronunciation. As for the question in general, *shrug* I dunno. Individuality?

The silent letters are, the A in Aaron

The D in Dzeko

The Z in Zlatan and the b in lamb 

When did Aaron start being pronounced "Aran"?

When I wor a lad it was pronounced "Air-un".

Well, even then it only has 1 A

Where is the silent letter in any of those names. Every letter in those names directly affects the pronunciation. As for the question in general, *shrug* I dunno. Individuality?

The D in Dzeko

I got the 'b' in lamb :lol:

One 'a' and 2 'a's are pronounced different. 1 is 'Ay' run. 2 is 'Ah' run.

Dzeko is not pronounced Zecko or Zeeko. The D gives the z an almost 'j' pronunciation making it more like Jecko.

And the Z ain't silent AFAIK.

The D in Dzeko

If you think those letters are silent then you're pronouncing the names wrong.

Especially Zlatan. What do you say? "Latan"?

Edited by Stevo985

The D in Dzeko

But I can see the point of the double-A, provided it's used to lengthen the vowel.

Aaron pronounced Air-un

Aron pronounced Arrun

The D in Dzeko

That`s what I have heard him called on TV.I personally call him by his last name

The D in Dzeko

But I can see the point of the double-A, provided it's used to lengthen the vowel.

Aaron pronounced Air-un

Aron pronounced Arrun

Over here it`s pronunced Aarun

The D in Dzeko

That`s what I have heard him called on TV.I personally call him by his last name

What, "Latan"?

Well whoever you heard pronouncing it like that is just wrong, as far as I know.

The D in Dzeko

What, "Latan"?

Well whoever you heard pronouncing it like that is just wrong, as far as I know.

It is wrong. It's Zlatan, not Latan. I've heard him pronounce it like that himself and I hope he knows how to pronounce his name. :) Never heard anyone call him "Latan".

The D in Dzeko

I got the 'b' in lamb :lol:

That's the one I missed  :)

That reminds me of a (kinda) joke. Londonderry is the only city in the world where the first 6 letters are silent taz.gif

it's a little known fact that Londonderry is named after the capital of England, which is also called Londonderry - but the last five letters are silent.

That reminds me of a (kinda) joke. Londonderry is the only city in the world where the first 6 letters are silent taz.gif

I like to, when anyone starts talking about Londonderry, say "Where's that? I've never heard of it." Oh how the mood quickly changes!

It works best with locals from a certain background, but it works well with Englishmen, who usually scramble about for a few minutes trying to find a diplomatic response.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I like to, when anyone starts talking about Londonderry, say "Where's that? I've never heard of it." Oh how the mood quickly changes!

It works best with locals from a certain background, but it works well with Englishmen, who usually scramble about for a few minutes trying to find a diplomatic response.

Hehe yeah, much more satisfying when someone is genuinely trying not to offend and is scrambling for safe ground. It's cruel really.

Come back Queenie, all is forgiven. We tried to run the place ourselves and we've made a total balls of it. On that topic here's a very interesting article re- the psyche of us lot. I think the headline (i.e. the conclusion) gets it wrong, but I think the content of the article about why we do things and how we think in general, is the closest I've seen to someone verbalising what we're like.

Â