Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

We temper our granddaughter's wholesome TV diet of CBeebies with a healthy dose of Top Cat and Looney Toons. She loves them. 

EDIT: Thinking back, when our kids were little (the 90s - He-Man, Transformers, etc.) they also loved watching VHS tapes of old 1930s and 40s cartoons (Felix the Cat and so on). 

Edited by mjmooney

It’s kind of interesting that it seems that society in general is increasingly concerned with the likes of what was mentioned above in the cartoons, yet there seems to be a very relaxed attitude towards the increasingly adult themes kids are exposed to through, in particular, music (the likes of Little Mix being marketed to 5 year-olds), 8 year-olds having Instagram accounts, spending countless hours on YouTube and having their own smart phones.

I really haven’t explained what I mean very well at all but it’s almost like attitudes are moving in both directions at the same time - people getting antsy about anything edgy in cartoons but not caring about kids being exposed to potentially more harmful negative influences elsewhere.

• Like 2

On 08/02/2019 at 17:51, mjmooney said:

Perhaps even more strange, those who support multiple local teams. The father of one of my mates used to always get a season ticket for either Villa, Blues, Albion or Wolves, changing each year. And my Dad (from Merseyside) happily admitted to supporting Liverpool AND Everton. Weird. 

Some of my family are a bit like that. I have one or two relatives who 'just want the Midlands to do well', and I guess that's rubbed off on me to the extent that I'd rather a nose than a Brummie Red. 

14 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

When I was aged about 5 through to 10 (so the late 80’s through to the mid 90’s), I remember seeing the classic Warner bros. cartoons all the time - bugs, daffy and that lot, the Tex Avery stuff. 

What I’m wondering, is when they stopped showing them. 

Glad I stumbled into this thread. Also having a little one who will be 8 in a couple of weeks time, used to be hooked on the likes of In the night garden and Disney channel etc. When she was growing up.

Most of the time I felt today's cartoons were teaching kids how to be stupid, if anything. (There was one cartoon especially that I stopped her watching cause of that reason but I forget it's name now). 

As for 'our generation' growing up, alot has changed and they must have stopped showing these around the turn of the millenium i'd guess?

14 hours ago, Xela said:

Is it down to them being a bit 'un PC' nowadays that the networks are scared to show them. With the racial stereotypes, violence, smoking, etc. That's what I remember reading anyway. Not sure if there is any truth to it?

You're spot on Alex. The PC part and images unfit for kids etc played a masdive part in alot of our cartoons being either changed and modernised to 'suit'.

A classic I love are the old Tom & Jerry's by Fred Quimby.

There's an episode "Texas Tom" where he, Tom, is on a ranch impressing some dame cat, serenading her whilst having a fag in his mouth. - Soon wiped off the air and forced to change if it was to remain on Telly.

I think with alot of the Cartoons, there is so much 'bad PC content within them' that it's easier for them to scrap them and roll out out new shit like we see today.

14 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

but what’s “un PC” about Wile E. Coyote? Or Elmer Fudd not killing a rabbit and/or duck?

Porky Pig having a stutter might be questioned now I guess. And Sylvester having a lisp.

I’m just curious when they decided to stop showing them, that and stuff like “Top Cat”. They were on when I was a kid and it’s as if at some point in the past twenty or so years they’ve said “these old cartoons, they’re a bit too old now, so let’s not knock it on the head.*”

You're right.

With all diversity nowadays what is so wrong with Sylvester having a speech impediment, or PP having a stutter?

We're taught to treat everyone as equals arn't we?

Some of the stuff referenced within may also be frowned up which could be another reason?

14 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I assume it was to do with the violence.  The Simpsons obviously satirised it with Itchy and Scratchy and that episode where Marge started the campaign against them, so I assume there was something bubbling up in the 90s.  I can vaguely remember them being on when I started secondary school probably mid to late 90s.  I don't think the main terrestrial channels show any kids TV any more.

I think violence also plays a part, sadly

Things like Sylvester trying to get Tweety in a frying pan, or Jerry Knocking seven shades of shit out of Tom with a bat etc, If the big Bulldog wasn't skinning him alive first.

They we're brilliant cartoons growing up but none of it ever made an influence on me to ever go and beat the shit out of my dog or put a bird in a pot of water.

The last time I remember terrestrial tv showing cartoons was in the 90's. Morph (Legend), Fun House, Art Attack, Tots TV, Rosie & Jim etc. All when I was in secondary school but my neice would be round watching them when babysat.

By this stage though I was more into playing Grand theft auto on the PS1 or tuning in to Sky Sports on friday night watching Steve Austin raising hell and beating the shit out of Vince McMahon,, or Sable revealing her 'puppies'.

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

We temper our granddaughter's wholesome TV diet of CBeebies with a healthy dose of Top Cat and Looney Toons. She loves them. 

EDIT: Thinking back, when our kids were little (the 90s - He-Man, Transformers, etc.) they also loved watching VHS tapes of old 1930s and 40s cartoons (Felix the Cat and so on). 

I agree with you MJ, I would often show my little one old Tom & Jerry episodes and she would be more hooked on them than the garbage she was being subjected to on Nickelodeon or Pop.

Sorry for the lengthy response guys.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JB said:

It’s kind of interesting that it seems that society in general is increasingly concerned with the likes of what was mentioned above in the cartoons, yet there seems to be a very relaxed attitude towards the increasingly adult themes kids are exposed to through, in particular, music (the likes of Little Mix being marketed to 5 year-olds), 8 year-olds having Instagram accounts, spending countless hours on YouTube and having their own smart phones.

I really haven’t explained what I mean very well at all but it’s almost like attitudes are moving in both directions at the same time - people getting antsy about anything edgy in cartoons but not caring about kids being exposed to potentially more harmful negative influences elsewhere.

Spot on JB. Banned PC csrtoons and the like, but yet ram social media in their faces, 4 little sluts (Little Prix as I call them) dancing and promoting a sluttery imagines to youngsters.

Or, if your a thick **** like my ex partner, think it's acceptable to subject our 6/7 year old to shit like Hollyoaks or Silent Witness..  then asks me why our daughter is hooked on watching youtube shite based on social media rage and developing an attitude problem!??? No I couldn't possibly hazard a **** guess why!??   Word removed!

- yet would often give me the 3rd degree over watching old Tom & Jerrys with her witnessing 2 animals trashing a house! (THOOOMASSSSSS!).

You just couldn't make it up.  🤦🏼‍♂️

23 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I was the same when I was a kid. Any cartoon really got watched.

Tom and Jerry, Felix the Cat, Laurel and Hardy (cartoon), load of old Looney Tunes stuff, Betty Boop, Popeye etc

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Is there a country that is just ok at making cheese?

Seems to me you either get it and make great cheese or don't get it and make some rubbery almost fake shit

The Netherlands is the spiritual home of mediocre cheese.

Everywhere else falls into one of the two categories you identified, though.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

The Netherlands is the spiritual home of mediocre cheese.

Everywhere else falls into one of the two categories you identified, though.

I was leaning towards them but edam is ok and they make some good melting cheese (same with swiss) 

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I was leaning towards them but edam is ok and they make some good melting cheese (same with swiss) 

It's all just so ordinary though, isn't it?

Yeah, it's functional and melts etc, but given a choice, you'd never pick it.  Who's walking up to a deli counter, or even a buffet, and picking Edam or Gouda over anything except mild cheddar?

At least with the Swiss, they've got Raclette and Gruyere to liven things up a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

...Who's walking up to a deli counter, or even a buffet, and picking Edam or Gouda over anything...

I'd have some. It's not necessarily a case of choosing it over another cheese, more "as well as".

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'd have some. It's not necessarily a case of choosing it over another cheese, more "as well as".

If there are ten cheeses on the buffet (it's a posh buffet), unless you're hell-bent on getting indigestion by having a bit of each you're not picking the Dutch ones.

Brie
Camembert
Mature Cheddar
Gruyere
Danish Blue
The Mexican one with chillis in it
Stilton
Stinking Bishop
Chevre

Edam

There would probably be some Gouda in the mix too, on reflection, but it'd have to be a pretty high standard and maturity to hold its own in that line-up.  It only goes in there, really, as an easy one for the old people who like to partner it up with a bit of chutney or something.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

If there are ten cheeses on the buffet (it's a posh buffet), unless you're hell-bent on getting indigestion by having a bit of each you're not picking the Dutch ones.

Brie
Camembert
Mature Cheddar
Gruyere
Danish Blue
The Mexican one with chillis in it
Stilton
Stinking Bishop
Chevre

Edam

There would probably be some Gouda in the mix too...

I dunno Rob. I don't think I'd have both the Danish Blue and the Stilton - I'd just have one (the DB). Could probably say the same with the Brie/Camembert. There's no emmental on the list, no roquefort, no Garstang Blue, no lancashire.... Wallace would have a fit.

I had Organic extra mature cheddar for m'dinner. t'was good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Round here the Turks will say they have the best cheese and the Bulgarians will say the same,  but nothing beats mature cheddar melted on toast with a splash of Worcestershire sauce.

That's what made me ask, ze Germans think they do cheese, they don't, to be fair there is a lot of it but from what I've had so far it's shit

took a creamy red Leicester with me to the missus parents at Xmas (German middle of nowhere) blew their minds

• Like 1

Â