Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

A brief history of my feelings about Springsteen: 

When I was at university, his debut album (Greetings From Asbury Park) came out. I sort of quite liked it, but thought it was all a bit poor man's Bob Dylan. 

The second album (The Wild, The Innocent...) I liked a lot more - brought in some more dramatic 'West Side Story'-type storytelling, more arranged long songs.

Third album (Born To Run) - loved it from the get-go. Added the full Phil Spector-style wall of sound. I still think it's a masterpiece. 

Fourth album (Darkness on the Edge of Town). Less immediate, darker songs. Liked some tracks, not others. 

Fifth album (Nebraska). Even darker songs, VERY different sound - solo acoustic. Quite liked it. 

Sixth album (The River). Back to the bombast. Liked a couple of tracks, the rest, meh. Too formulaic. 

Seventh album (Born in the USA). Hated it. Overblown, nasty 80s production. Parody of himself. 

After that, I completely lost interest, with the sole exception of "The Ghost of Tom Joad", which was another low-key acoustic affair, similar to "Nebraska"). 

I did see him live with the E Street Band (sadly without Clarence Clemons) a few years ago, and they do still put on an absolutely magnificent show. One of the best live acts I've ever seen. 

See it took me years to get over Bryan Ferry for this reason. Never appreciated early Roxy Music until a couple of years ago and I heard For Your Pleasure.

12 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

See it took me years to get over Bryan Ferry for this reason. Never appreciated early Roxy Music until a couple of years ago and I heard For Your Pleasure.

Agreed. See, this is why I hate the 80s. [*] So many artists who had been creative and original in the previous decade became bland, turgid, trend-chasing bores who totally lost direction. Ferry, Springsteen, Dylan, Young, the Stones, the former Beatles. Fortunately, some of them made decent comebacks in the 90s and 00s. 

[*] That, and the fact that most of the new stuff was shit, anyway. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think "The Rising" is his best work , but tbf I've not listened to all of his stuff

I saw him live , also without Clarence , in around 92 I guess it was ... he played for about 3 hours and probably would have kept going had he been allowed

I saw him a few years ago at a festival at the Olympic Park and he played for 3 hours.  Even with a band I like I get a bit antsy after about 2 hours, so 3 hours of someone I'm not that arsed about pissed me off a bit.  The people I were with wanted to stay til the end so I couldn't really shuffle off early either.

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Bryan Ferry

he's my pet hate as i went to a quiz night once and we lost by 1 point because the clearing in the woods running the quiz thought Bryan Ferry wrote "Jealous Guy"

I don't like to be "that person" at quiz nights so let it go but  ...FFS :bang:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

After that, I completely lost interest, with the sole exception of "The Ghost of Tom Joad", which was another low-key acoustic affair, ...

I own one Springsteen album, and it's that one. It's really good and the other stuff he does that is low key is generally decent. I'm not into all the bombastic stuff at all, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

he's my pet hate as i went to a quiz night once and we lost by 1 point because the clearing in the woods running the quiz thought Bryan Ferry wrote "Jealous Guy"

I don't like to be "that person" at quiz nights so let it go but  ...FFS :bang:

Haha I would have said something.

I remember having a word afterwards with the person running one quiz I was taking part in who reckoned the correct answer to “who’s the baddie in ‘For a few dollars more’?” is Lee Van Cleef and not the murdering rapist as played by Gian Maria Volonte.

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Haha I would have said something.

I remember having a word afterwards with the person running one quiz I was taking part in who reckoned the correct answer to “who’s the baddie in ‘For a few dollars more’?” is Lee Van Cleef and not the murdering rapist as played by Gian Maria Volonte.

Sounds like the quizmaster was actually thinking of The Good (Eastwood), The Bad (Van Cleef) and The Ugly (Eli Wallach) in the third film. 

56 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sounds like the quizmaster was actually thinking of The Good (Eastwood), The Bad (Van Cleef) and The Ugly (Eli Wallach) in the third film. 

Very likely. I was further annoyed as I suspected at the time he was indeed thinking of Van Cleef in “the good....” but I stupidly gave him the benefit of the doubt and didn’t put it down.

Still, it’s been seven years since that quiz, I’ve nearly forgotten all about it now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2018 at 06:48, mjmooney said:

A brief history of my feelings about Springsteen: 

When I was at university, his debut album (Greetings From Asbury Park) came out. I sort of quite liked it, but thought it was all a bit poor man's Bob Dylan. 

The second album (The Wild, The Innocent...) I liked a lot more - brought in some more dramatic 'West Side Story'-type storytelling, more arranged long songs.

Third album (Born To Run) - loved it from the get-go. Added the full Phil Spector-style wall of sound. I still think it's a masterpiece. 

Fourth album (Darkness on the Edge of Town). Less immediate, darker songs. Liked some tracks, not others. 

Fifth album (Nebraska). Even darker songs, VERY different sound - solo acoustic. Quite liked it. 

Sixth album (The River). Back to the bombast. Liked a couple of tracks, the rest, meh. Too formulaic. 

Seventh album (Born in the USA). Hated it. Overblown, nasty 80s production. Parody of himself. 

After that, I completely lost interest, with the sole exception of "The Ghost of Tom Joad", which was another low-key acoustic affair, similar to "Nebraska"). 

I did see him live with the E Street Band (sadly without Clarence Clemons) a few years ago, and they do still put on an absolutely magnificent show. One of the best live acts I've ever seen. 

Friend of mine just bought tickets for him. He's doing some sort of show on broadway (limited run)

Just letting you know if you have any interest in seeing him live. (Cost my friend over $800 for 2 tickets though :o)

Â