Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

There is a legit theory (I think, someone might be able to prove otherwise) that we are more likely than not, in a simulation.

I believe it's something like if we are going to have vast amounts of computing power in the future, enough to run a simulation of a universe or world or whatever, then we'll probably run loads. And then if the things in that simulation are conscience then they would do the same, and the cycle goes on forever.

So if there are such vast numbers of simulations, the chances are we're in one of them.

It comes from the third option in the following paper:

Nick Bostrom - Are you living in a computer simulation?

ABSTRACT

This paper argues that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All of this assumes various things regarding the stability of large scale quantum computing (how many degrees of freedom are required to describe only 100 point like particles and their interactions?), almost none of which has been shown to be in any way feasible. That we are in a simulation is the same as faster than light travel will be possible in a few hundred years.

The laws of physics are not all the concerned with our musings however.

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

If, like the rest of us, Nikola Tesla would think Elon Musk is an absolute slice.

Depends how old he was when you asked. "Death ray" Tesla would have thought Musk is kitchen juice.

On 27/08/2018 at 13:42, Stevo985 said:

There is a legit theory (I think, someone might be able to prove otherwise) that we are more likely than not, in a simulation.

I believe it's something like if we are going to have vast amounts of computing power in the future, enough to run a simulation of a universe or world or whatever, then we'll probably run loads. And then if the things in that simulation have conscience then they would do the same, and the cycle goes on forever.

So if there are such vast numbers of simulations, the chances are we're in one of them.

It's a bit like that episode of Rick and Morty.

Again someone might be able to post and say that that's been proved to be utter nonsense. But it's quite interesting at least.

It's not something that can be dismissed.

There are physicists who are open to it.

15 minutes ago, villakram said:

All of this assumes various things regarding the stability of large scale quantum computing (how many degrees of freedom are required to describe only 100 point like particles and their interactions?), almost none of which has been shown to be in any way feasible. That we are in a simulation is the same as faster than light travel will be possible in a few hundred years.

The laws of physics are not all the concerned with our musings however.

Surely the moment it is shown to be feasible, the fraction moves from 'very close to one' to 'almost certainly one'?

3 hours ago, snowychap said:

Surely the moment it is shown to be feasible, the fraction moves from 'very close to one' to 'almost certainly one'?

How many particles are in the Universe?

How many degrees of freedom are required to model their interactions?

Quantum is not magic and has very specific constraints it must follow. I'm not seeing anything in the coal face research literature that says we'll ever get to anywhere near to simulations on such a scale. 

AI/Quantum... so much buzz and speculation, much of it inspired by what has been seeded in our minds over the past 40 years of sci-fi. Reality is a much different beast.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, villakram said:

How many particles are in the Universe?

How many degrees of freedom are required to model their interactions?

Quantum is not magic and has very specific constraints it must follow. I'm not seeing anything in the coal face research literature that says we'll ever get to anywhere near to simulations on such a scale. 

AI/Quantum... so much buzz and speculation, much of it inspired by what has been seeded in our minds over the past 40 years of sci-fi. Reality is a much different beast.

You didn't comprehend what I wrote, did you?

Edited by snowychap
more appropriate than understand

12 hours ago, Brumerican said:

It's not something that can be dismissed.

There are physicists who are open to it.

I'm open to it. 

There's no way there are that many simpletons in a real life world. 

Some of the people you see chundering around makes you wonder how they got to adulthood. 

59 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm open to it. 

Some of the people you see chundering around makes you wonder how they got to adulthood. 

You have a very good point there

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Just finished a shop unit up in the Midlands.
Dissie parking bays outside, high kerb to the rear followed by landscaping of small stones and some bushes, then a low level concrete wall.
To the side of the dissie parking bays, a well sign posted and painted level access route direct to the level and auto opening shop doors. All of which you can see when you drive up and when you park.

Day one after opening. Customer parks the car, gets out and goes over the kerb, across the pebbles, through the hedge and then has to turn back when they find the concrete wall. Turned around, used the correct route, and then complained about the wall being too high as they have limited mobility and couldn’t get their knees up high enough to clear it.

Difference in distance between the level access route and the ‘short cut’? Zero. Zero difference in distance, just one includes an assault course, so obviously that’s the **** route the first **** disabled customer tries to **** take and then complain about.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Difference in distance between the level access route and the ‘short cut’? Zero. Zero difference in distance, just one includes an assault course, so obviously that’s the **** route the first **** disabled customer tries to **** take and then complain about.

Perhaps they also suffer from a mental or cognitive disability? ?

13 hours ago, snowychap said:

You didn't comprehend what I wrote, did you?

Oh I did, it's just that "it" being shown to be feasible is almost magic or a god of some sort.

Of course, should that exist then anything else is possible, but see above imho.

• Haha 1

Whilst the "n" word is blanked out on national radio when Oliver's Army is played....well, I wonder why Bruce Springsteen and his Born in the USA has "gone to fight the yellow man" not censored ? ?

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Whilst the "n" word is blanked out on national radio when Oliver's Army is played....well, I wonder why Bruce Springsteen and his Born in the USA has "gone to fight the yellow man" not censored ? ?

What do they do with SLF's White Noise? :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Is it?

If I’m in the car and it comes on the radio, singing along I always end up going “one more widow, one less white uhh uhhh....” weakly trailing off before confidently going back into the chorus.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Is it?

If I’m in the car and it comes on the radio, singing along I always end up going “one more widow, one less white uhh uhhh....” weakly trailing off before confidently going back into the chorus.

I don't. I suppose that makes me racist. 

Â