Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

14 hours ago, mottaloo said:

whilst they're still looking at me, I give a sarcastic "thumbs up, you're welcome" gesture......which probably goes over their heads ?

Swap 'thumbs up' for 'exaggerated wave and smile while muttering "don't mention it" under my breath' and you have me :D 

• Haha 1

Where does a grown man buy clothes from these days? I've clearly been relying on the same few shops for my daily uniform of jeans and polo shirts and now I've been tasked with buying some nice t-shirts for our holiday, I've no idea where to start. I can't quite bring myself to start buying my clothes at M&S but I'm way beyond wearing a stripey vest like all the youngsters seem to do. 

(I was sure we had a "clobber" thread or similar in here but either I've imagined it or I have as much idea about the search function as I do about clothes shopping).

15 minutes ago, choffer said:

Where does a grown man buy clothes from these days? I've clearly been relying on the same few shops for my daily uniform of jeans and polo shirts and now I've been tasked with buying some nice t-shirts for our holiday, I've no idea where to start. I can't quite bring myself to start buying my clothes at M&S but I'm way beyond wearing a stripey vest like all the youngsters seem to do. 

(I was sure we had a "clobber" thread or similar in here but either I've imagined it or I have as much idea about the search function as I do about clothes shopping).

I spy a trap. :suspect:

1 hour ago, choffer said:

I consider myself to wear some decent gear, but you can't go far wrong with M&S for t-shirts.  It's my go-to place, especially this time of year when they usually have some seasonal colours and stripes in stock.  They're good quality, and they're only about £6 each.  Win!

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I consider myself to wear some decent gear, but you can't go far wrong with M&S for t-shirts.  It's my go-to place, especially this time of year when they usually have some seasonal colours and stripes in stock.  They're good quality, and they're only about £6 each.  Win!

I'm going to check them out but we are all going to have to agree never to talk of this. My old man would lose his mind if he knew I was buying clothes at M&S before him.

(Clothing snobs FTW)

5 minutes ago, choffer said:

I'm going to check them out but we are all going to have to agree never to talk of this. My old man would lose his mind if he knew I was buying clothes at M&S before him.

(Clothing snobs FTW)

Only shopping at one market level is an outdated concept now.  No problem spending a couple of hundred dabs on a pair of jeans and a tenner on a t-shirt  ?

• Like 1

Check out next.co.uk....their own brand is now good value for money and you can pick up from your nearest store more or less the next day. They also do designer brands online too. 

I picked up 2 of their own brand polo shirts for £36 today...very nice too.... I'd only ordered them at 10pm the night before. 

Deffo worth checking their site out.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Only shopping at one market level is an outdated concept now.  No problem spending a couple of hundred dabs on a pair of jeans and a tenner on a t-shirt  ?

Who knew? Turn your back for a minute (or ten years) and everything changes ?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Check out next.co.uk....their own brand is now good value for money and you can pick up from your nearest store more or less the next day. They also do designer brands online too. 

I picked up 2 of their own brand polo shirts for £36 today...very nice too.... I'd only ordered them at 10pm the night before. 

Deffo worth checking their site out.

Thanks but having worked with Next in the dim and distant, I'm afraid I'm unable to countenance such a measure. M&S in infinitely more palatable a prospect ;)

Oh, I didn't see it that way. Was a genuine question, honest guv'nor.

A bit of Cotton Traders then?

Or a wander through the men's level in House of Fraser/Beatties looking for anything 'on sale'?

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

house of fraser always seems to have a sale online

Struggling aren't they? 

The iconic Brum one could be shutting down according to reports. 

I used to spent most lunchtimes in there when I was younger and gave a shit about what I wore. 

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

Struggling aren't they? 

I used to spent most lunchtimes in there when I was younger and gave a shit about what I wore. 

God knows what they will do with that building, it's huge

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

It'll either be a jumbo TK Maxx / Matalan or it'll be apartments at a guess. 

56 minutes ago, Xela said:

Struggling aren't they? 

If only it closed 40 odd years ago, my mother made me spend a lifetime in Rackhams, time that could have been much better spent doing... well almost anything I guess

Shopping is a chore that should be planned with military precision. Browsing should be a crime (exception for record shops)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, KHV said:

The old Lewis' building got split up into smaller units and offices. Took a long time to completely fill the building though

In Liverpool the Lewis' building was closed about a decade ago (it shut many years after Brum), the project to transform it still isn't finished and its an iconic Liverpool building. The project has stalled and gone bango at least twice

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

The old Lewis' building got split up into smaller units and offices. Took a long time to completely fill the building though

In Liverpool the Lewis' building was closed about a decade ago (it shut many years after Brum), the project to transform it still isn't finished and its an iconic Liverpool building. The project has stalled and gone bango at least twice

Lewis' ; there is a blast from the past!

I remember Hamleys in the city centre as well. Magical place for me as a nipper! 

Edited by Xela

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Lewis' ; there is a blast from the past!

I remember Hamleys in the city centre as well. Magical place for me as a nipper! 

Just trying to remember what Hamleys was before it was Hamleys, it was another smaller department store that I'd get dragged into on the way back to the car just after I though shopping hell was over in Rackhams

Best thing that ever happened in Rackhams was someone threatening to jump off the top and the whole store getting evacuated

• Like 1

Â