');
tonyh29

Things you often Wonder

In other cereal news, Kellogg's are to stop making Ricicles. 

Goodbye Captain Rik, may you rest in peace. 

landscape-1512046391-screen-shot-2017-11

How long before Tony the Tiger is put down by the sugar hating killjoys?

• Sad 1

Nutrition-nerd rant coming up that will probably interest nobody but will make me feel better :D.  Possibly one for the TTPYOTS thread...

I wonder how much of an impact this sugar reduction will have. Actually I don't. It's little more than a PR stunt targeted at people who don't know any better.

Rice Krispies, for example, only have 3g of sugar per serving. Kellogg's are apparently reducing sugar content by 'up to' 40%. Even if they remove all the sugar from Rice Krispies, that will be a grand total of 12 fewer calories per serving i.e. virtually nothing. There would be almost identical calorie reductions in Coco Pops, too. It will have literally no impact.

Calories consumed have been unequivocally shown to be the number one factor in nutritional health. Sugar isn't good for you but it isn't inherently bad for you, either. All forms of carbohydrate are utilised by the body in the same way (turned into glucose). The problems with sugar are that it has no nutritional value and it is very, very easy to overconsume (too many calories) but if health improvement is the goal then the focus needs to be on education and reducing how much people eat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JB said:

if health improvement is the goal then the focus needs to be on education and reducing how much people eat.

This. 

Educate people about nutrition at an earlier age.

Sugar is just the hot topic at the moment. Just like it used to be fat before. Everything was low fat. And people still think because something is low fat that automatically makes it healthy.

8 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Just caught sight of this (excuse the pun) and thought I’d give my take on it, given I have some personal experience.

My dad’s blind, and has been blind since he was six, and so clearly has been without his sight for my whole life too. We had season tickets at Villa as a family for about 10 years while I was growing up, and go down whenever we can, although I now have a very young family myself so it’s fairly infrequent nowadays.

My dad probably isn’t your typical blind person though (and really not generalising here) in that he is quite successful, has a well-paid job (with 5-10 sighted people working for him), wife, family, mortgage, etc. Literally the only difference between him, you and I is that his eyes don’t work.

Growing up, he would be bringing the bulk of the income into the family home and so when we went to matches it would be him that’s taking us in a cost sense, rather than my mum, who was physically taking him and us (by holding hands or having his hand on her shoulder in crowds). He would also know the trains and bus routes that we would need to catch, so again he’s leading us while we lead him if you’re with me. I think it’s important that I include this as it was ultimately a blind guy that facilitated our experiences and love of Villa as a family, of which we’re really grateful.

Back to a few of your questions – Does he listen to commentary or something?

Yes, he’d listen to the game on the radio, that’s the main way that my dad consumes Aston Villa, and I suppose most things in general. I think years ago there was a specific commentary for the blind Villa following but nowadays you can pretty much always get the game on the radio.

A great anecdote from a few years ago when we were sitting down at the front of the Holte that stays with me. Gabby went through on goal at the North Stand end only to be called offside. Everyone around us jumped up remonstrating with the linesman who had raised his flag, “he’s never offside”, “are you blind lino” was shouted around us. A couple of seconds later my dad took his earphone out and leaned over to me saying, “they’re left-back stepped up, Gabby went early, was two yards off”. So while the thousands around us were clueless as to whether the correct call had been made, the blind guy has the facts, slightly ironic I suppose.

So does he just go for the atmosphere?

I think ultimately he just wants to be as close as he can to Aston Villa when they’re playing football. Arguably, it would be better for you and I to watch Villa on TV with all the available angles, replays, analysis etc, but we still prefer to go to the games don’t we. I’ve chosen to go to Everton in the pouring rain only to stand behind a pillar for 90 mins. I’ve been to other away games and stayed in the concourse for too long after half time having a beer and a song and missed goals, but I was still there. I’ve been over to Germany with England and watched about 40 minutes of the match etc. I suppose we all consume and support in different ways don’t we? From the lower Holte my dad knows that the goal posts are 20 yards away, the North Stand goal posts are 140 yards away, the away fans are 120 yards away, managers 70 yards etc. He loves the atmosphere and joins in with the songs, just as much as sighted people do, but its about being there more than anything else.

I’m not going to recommend you go all good Samaritan when you see that blind guy next and help him if he’s struggling, but he could be anyones father, husband, brother etc who's trying to make his way to his seat. Oh, and by the sounds of it, he loves the Villa!

Really interesting, thanks!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, turvontour said:

My dad’s blind, and has been blind since he was six, and so clearly has been without his sight for my whole life too.

That's quite a strange time to lose your sight, I imagine. Not blind from birth, but then probably wouldn't remember a great deal before that age.

17 hours ago, JB said:

Rice Krispies, for example, only have 3g of sugar per serving. Kellogg's are apparently reducing sugar content by 'up to' 40%. Even if they remove all the sugar from Rice Krispies, that will be a grand total of 12 fewer calories per serving i.e. virtually nothing. There would be almost identical calorie reductions in Coco Pops, too. It will have literally no impact.

But how many people eat the ridiculously small serving sizes for breakfast cereal?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, limpid said:

But how many people eat the ridiculously small serving sizes for breakfast cereal?

Well I’m sure you don’t need me to do the maths for you but say it’s a 100g serving then - around 380 total calories. There’s currently 10g of sugar in that - 40 total calories. Even with the top end of the ‘up to 40%’ reduction in sugar, it’s only a saving of 16 calories. Take all of the sugar out and you’ve still only saved 40 calories. Still essentially nothing so the point still stands.

14 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

That's quite a strange time to lose your sight, I imagine. Not blind from birth, but then probably wouldn't remember a great deal before that age.

Yes, he only really remembers a few colours as his sight wasnt great from birth.

I often wonder about what this country is turning into and how safe it is now. Not terrorism but just general crime and anti-social behaviour. It can seem like the wild west at times reading the national and local papers. Feral moped gangs committing huge amounts of crime in London and other major cities, numerous stories in the local paper of people being beaten up (and sometimes killed) for phones/watches etc and just seeing this story earlier

Eight police officers were injured after being confronted by a crowd in Dalston, east London, on Friday evening.
It came after a bus passenger was found not to have a valid ticket by police officers supporting TfL inspectors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42208162

I just despair sometimes and wonder what the future will bring. It feels like we are on a knife edge in some parts of the country. On a personal level I always feel on edge when out on a night out in the UK as opposed to all the other countries I have been to (about 40 so a decent sample size). I always feel safer abroad in the fact that I don't think i'll be the victim of a random attack of violence. I know other countries have their problems (pick-pocketing/bribery/corruption etc) but i'll take my chances with that rather than have three drunk blokes kick me unconscious for a laugh. It might just be an illusion that I feel safer abroad and I accept i haven't been to Africa much or Central/South America. I'm basing my experiences on Western/Northern/Eastern Europe and a lot of South East/East Asia. 

I think If I ever got in a position that I could work abroad or earn enough passive income that enabled me to be location independent i'd be straight out of the UK. Somewhere like HK or Singapore admittedly I know they are very expensive to live but wonderfully safe. 

• Thanks 1

On 30/11/2017 at 22:33, Xela said:

In other cereal news, Kellogg's are to stop making Ricicles. 

Goodbye Captain Rik, may you rest in peace. 

landscape-1512046391-screen-shot-2017-11

How long before Tony the Tiger is put down by the sugar hating killjoys?

rocket polishers!

Coco the Monkey, Snap Crackle n Pop, Tony the Tiger and that Nutcase Bumble Bee should all go on strike.

toysrus-store1.jpg 

Are also in the shit.. looks like all those millions of Geoffrey all under one roof will be hitting a job centre near you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

rocket polishers!

Coco the Monkey, Snap Crackle n Pop, Tony the Tiger and that Nutcase Bumble Bee should all go on strike.

toysrus-store1.jpg 

Are also in the shit.. looks like all those millions of Geoffrey all under one roof will be hitting a job centre near you.

If I was a Geoffrey I'd Boycott it. 

• Haha 1

Think my abiding memory of Toys R us is the number of hours I spent staring at the branch opposite the carling academy in Brum while waiting to get into a gig.

• Like 1

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

Think my abiding memory of Toys R us is the number of hours I spent staring at the branch opposite the carling academy in Brum while waiting to get into a gig.

My Dad used to take me there every Saturday morning as a kid. Toys R Us that is, not the Academy! I used to spend ages deciding what pack of Top Trumps to buy or whether to buy a MASK toy or a Gobot toy!

If I was lucky he'd take to the Wimpy afterwards that was opposite! I think there was also a Remington shop next to Wimpy that sold beard trimmers and other such facial fuzz paraphernalia

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

My Dad used to take me there every Saturday morning as a kid. Toys R Us that is, not the Academy! I used to spend ages deciding what pack of Top Trumps to buy or whether to buy a MASK toy or a Gobot toy!

If I was lucky he'd take to the Wimpy afterwards that was opposite! I think there was also a Remington shop next to Wimpy that sold beard trimmers and other such facial fuzz paraphernalia

I was more of a Woolworths kid. And Burger King. I can only remember being in a toys r us a couple of times and wimpy occasionally.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I was more of a Woolworths kid. And Burger King. I can only remember being in a toys r us a couple of times and wimpy occasionally.

I'm not even sure BK was in Birmingham in the mid/late 80's when I was a kid - showing my age there!

First BK I can remember was by New St Odeon. There was an alley way next to it which took you to the back of the Odeon - pretty sure its not there anymore!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Xela said:

For us TRU was always miles away out of town and all we had was Arnolds, Beatties & Woolworths..  all awesome though as you where always able to seem find the best array of Subbuteo items and Hasbro wrestling merchandise for sale at the time.

No wimpy or BK near us.. but did have the choice of McDonalds or Happy Eater.  :rolleyes:

On 12/2/2017 at 19:54, Xela said:

I often wonder about what this country is turning into and how safe it is now. Not terrorism but just general crime and anti-social behaviour. It can seem like the wild west at times reading the national and local papers. Feral moped gangs committing huge amounts of crime in London and other major cities, numerous stories in the local paper of people being beaten up (and sometimes killed) for phones/watches etc and just seeing this story earlier

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42208162

I just despair sometimes and wonder what the future will bring. It feels like we are on a knife edge in some parts of the country. On a personal level I always feel on edge when out on a night out in the UK as opposed to all the other countries I have been to (about 40 so a decent sample size). I always feel safer abroad in the fact that I don't think i'll be the victim of a random attack of violence. I know other countries have their problems (pick-pocketing/bribery/corruption etc) but i'll take my chances with that rather than have three drunk blokes kick me unconscious for a laugh. It might just be an illusion that I feel safer abroad and I accept i haven't been to Africa much or Central/South America. I'm basing my experiences on Western/Northern/Eastern Europe and a lot of South East/East Asia. 

I think If I ever got in a position that I could work abroad or earn enough passive income that enabled me to be location independent i'd be straight out of the UK. Somewhere like HK or Singapore admittedly I know they are very expensive to live but wonderfully safe. 

It's up to the better members of society to keep up good standards and community spirit.