Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

14 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

That's quite a strange time to lose your sight, I imagine. Not blind from birth, but then probably wouldn't remember a great deal before that age.

Yes, he only really remembers a few colours as his sight wasnt great from birth.

I often wonder about what this country is turning into and how safe it is now. Not terrorism but just general crime and anti-social behaviour. It can seem like the wild west at times reading the national and local papers. Feral moped gangs committing huge amounts of crime in London and other major cities, numerous stories in the local paper of people being beaten up (and sometimes killed) for phones/watches etc and just seeing this story earlier

Eight police officers were injured after being confronted by a crowd in Dalston, east London, on Friday evening.
It came after a bus passenger was found not to have a valid ticket by police officers supporting TfL inspectors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42208162

I just despair sometimes and wonder what the future will bring. It feels like we are on a knife edge in some parts of the country. On a personal level I always feel on edge when out on a night out in the UK as opposed to all the other countries I have been to (about 40 so a decent sample size). I always feel safer abroad in the fact that I don't think i'll be the victim of a random attack of violence. I know other countries have their problems (pick-pocketing/bribery/corruption etc) but i'll take my chances with that rather than have three drunk blokes kick me unconscious for a laugh. It might just be an illusion that I feel safer abroad and I accept i haven't been to Africa much or Central/South America. I'm basing my experiences on Western/Northern/Eastern Europe and a lot of South East/East Asia. 

I think If I ever got in a position that I could work abroad or earn enough passive income that enabled me to be location independent i'd be straight out of the UK. Somewhere like HK or Singapore admittedly I know they are very expensive to live but wonderfully safe. 

• Thanks 1

On 30/11/2017 at 22:33, Xela said:

In other cereal news, Kellogg's are to stop making Ricicles. 

Goodbye Captain Rik, may you rest in peace. 

landscape-1512046391-screen-shot-2017-11

How long before Tony the Tiger is put down by the sugar hating killjoys?

rocket polishers!

Coco the Monkey, Snap Crackle n Pop, Tony the Tiger and that Nutcase Bumble Bee should all go on strike.

toysrus-store1.jpg 

Are also in the shit.. looks like all those millions of Geoffrey all under one roof will be hitting a job centre near you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

rocket polishers!

Coco the Monkey, Snap Crackle n Pop, Tony the Tiger and that Nutcase Bumble Bee should all go on strike.

toysrus-store1.jpg 

Are also in the shit.. looks like all those millions of Geoffrey all under one roof will be hitting a job centre near you.

If I was a Geoffrey I'd Boycott it. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

Think my abiding memory of Toys R us is the number of hours I spent staring at the branch opposite the carling academy in Brum while waiting to get into a gig.

My Dad used to take me there every Saturday morning as a kid. Toys R Us that is, not the Academy! I used to spend ages deciding what pack of Top Trumps to buy or whether to buy a MASK toy or a Gobot toy!

If I was lucky he'd take to the Wimpy afterwards that was opposite! I think there was also a Remington shop next to Wimpy that sold beard trimmers and other such facial fuzz paraphernalia

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

My Dad used to take me there every Saturday morning as a kid. Toys R Us that is, not the Academy! I used to spend ages deciding what pack of Top Trumps to buy or whether to buy a MASK toy or a Gobot toy!

If I was lucky he'd take to the Wimpy afterwards that was opposite! I think there was also a Remington shop next to Wimpy that sold beard trimmers and other such facial fuzz paraphernalia

I was more of a Woolworths kid. And Burger King. I can only remember being in a toys r us a couple of times and wimpy occasionally.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I was more of a Woolworths kid. And Burger King. I can only remember being in a toys r us a couple of times and wimpy occasionally.

I'm not even sure BK was in Birmingham in the mid/late 80's when I was a kid - showing my age there!

First BK I can remember was by New St Odeon. There was an alley way next to it which took you to the back of the Odeon - pretty sure its not there anymore!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Xela said:

For us TRU was always miles away out of town and all we had was Arnolds, Beatties & Woolworths..  all awesome though as you where always able to seem find the best array of Subbuteo items and Hasbro wrestling merchandise for sale at the time.

No wimpy or BK near us.. but did have the choice of McDonalds or Happy Eater.  :rolleyes:

On 12/2/2017 at 19:54, Xela said:

I often wonder about what this country is turning into and how safe it is now. Not terrorism but just general crime and anti-social behaviour. It can seem like the wild west at times reading the national and local papers. Feral moped gangs committing huge amounts of crime in London and other major cities, numerous stories in the local paper of people being beaten up (and sometimes killed) for phones/watches etc and just seeing this story earlier

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42208162

I just despair sometimes and wonder what the future will bring. It feels like we are on a knife edge in some parts of the country. On a personal level I always feel on edge when out on a night out in the UK as opposed to all the other countries I have been to (about 40 so a decent sample size). I always feel safer abroad in the fact that I don't think i'll be the victim of a random attack of violence. I know other countries have their problems (pick-pocketing/bribery/corruption etc) but i'll take my chances with that rather than have three drunk blokes kick me unconscious for a laugh. It might just be an illusion that I feel safer abroad and I accept i haven't been to Africa much or Central/South America. I'm basing my experiences on Western/Northern/Eastern Europe and a lot of South East/East Asia. 

I think If I ever got in a position that I could work abroad or earn enough passive income that enabled me to be location independent i'd be straight out of the UK. Somewhere like HK or Singapore admittedly I know they are very expensive to live but wonderfully safe. 

It's up to the better members of society to keep up good standards and community spirit.

2 hours ago, 8pints said:

It's up to the better members of society to keep up good standards and community spirit.

So what you are saying is we need to go 'Charles Bronson Death Wish' on these scum?! 

I'm in!

tumblr_n1xwonc0Ad1qedb29o1_500.gif

• Haha 1

Yeah it's a tricky one because it will vary for different people in different places. But for me, it all feels a bit safer now, than when I was a kid (15 - 25).

Now, admittedly, I'm a fairly chunky, relatively physically fit, 6'2 white male. I'm also not young anymore. So I probably don't look like the easiest of targets. I might be in something of a sweetspot of not being too old or young, there are possibly easier targets? I've been out late recently in my home town, Gloucester, Bath, Swindon and Hoxton. I would say that with a few basic sensible precautions about flashing phones and wallets around etc I've felt perfectly safe (but always aware).

Yes, there are kids on mopeds wielding acid as the latest thing. But there's always been a 'thing'. It was skinheads when I was a kid. Casuals, football hoolies and chelsea smiles when I was a bit older. I've seen plenty of people randomly selected and kicked in at football way back in the day, even in non-league. Certainly most gigs, even at small local venues were a good excuse for some trouble to kick off. That's not happening at the gigs I'm going to now.

Skinheads smashing up pubs. Police picking fights and goading people in to action then wading in given half a chance. Night time in a docks town in 1984 was just one long group hug.

• Like 1

A young lad who works at our place stabbed some lad in the stomach last week. He was being chased by a gang of lads, so managed to run into his mums. They were outside kicking off, so he went out and stabbed the ring leader. Completely bonkers thing to do, and absolutely brainless. I hate knives. Smash a bottle over my head or whatever, but a knife, oh no. 

One good thing to come out of it, for him anyway, is that he's a massive grime fan. He writes his own lyrics and all that shit. Atleast now he can write about being on the street stabbing people up. I'm sure that will escalate him up in the grime world. 

• Like 1

Â