Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

4 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

I like heavy music, but I'd not class myself as a fan of metal. There are some bits I like, but on the whole, metal leaves me a bit cold. I tend to like doom or stoner rock, and most bands that are obviously influenced by Sabbath. I like bands like Electric Wizard, Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats, Orange Goblin, Sleep, High on Fire, Dead Meadow, Saint Vitus, Acid King, Melvins, Sunn 0))) etc, and I wouldn't say they all sound the same, but I consider them all to be heavy.    

Totally agree about metal leaving you cold. I myself prefer the doom and stoner scene. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I find it best not to care about genre definitions. 

More for the 'piss me off' thread, but my local independent record shop has just swapped it's filing system.

Due to fashion, the vinyl section is booming. So they've changed their system from simple alphabetical to genre. What a crock of shite. I'm never going to browse through the juvenile masturbation of heavy metal, or the self obsessed goth stuff.

Whereas I might accidentally have discovered Goat, or Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard, or even Nisennenmondai, that's a lot less likely now because I'm not going to flick through a section full of Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden and Def Sabbath 'shite'.

44 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

More for the 'piss me off' thread, but my local independent record shop has just swapped it's filing system.

Due to fashion, the vinyl section is booming. So they've changed their system from simple alphabetical to genre. What a crock of shite. I'm never going to browse through the juvenile masturbation of heavy metal, or the self obsessed goth stuff.

Whereas I might accidentally have discovered Goat, or Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard, or even Nisennenmondai, that's a lot less likely now because I'm not going to flick through a section full of Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden and Def Sabbath 'shite'.

You don't know what you're missing with Sabbath. I still cannot get my head around how good they are. I can  see why the other bands come in for some stick though. Each to their own I suppose. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On at least 3 occasions this season I’ve seen a blind guy at Villa Park for a game. I see him by the food bit in K7. 

Hes clearly there to “watch” the game. And he’s clearly very blind. He has the white stick, he has to be led through the concourse. So he clearly can’t see much, if anything. 

So I often wonder what he gets out of it. He can’t see the game, so does he just go for the atmosphere? Does he listen to commentary or something? Or do the people he’s with describe it for him?

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

On at least 3 occasions this season I’ve seen a blind guy at Villa Park for a game. I see him by the food bit in K7. 

Hes clearly there to “watch” the game. And he’s clearly very blind. He has the white stick, he has to be led through the concourse. So he clearly can’t see much, if anything. 

So I often wonder what he gets out of it. He can’t see the game, so does he just go for the atmosphere? Does he listen to commentary or something? Or do the people he’s with describe it for him?

It must be for the atmosphere. Fair play to him, mind you, not being able to see the team play is a plus point in the last few years :D

I have seen a blind guy with a guide dog at a few FC United of Manchester non league games. He has headphones o so I guess he listens to the FCUM radio feed. 

You’re right though @Stevo985, it’s something I’ve always wondered about.

I would assume that there’s someone there who commentates on what’s happening for him. I’d hate to think he’s relying on the nearby supporters to get a good reading on the game (based on the supporters I always seem to end up sitting by). 

If I was blind I suppose I would go occasionally if I had it described to me. I know I’d be terrible at providing the commentary. It’d just be 90 minutes of me saying “go on! we’ve got it....ah shit, no no no no, get rid...” etc.

Anyway, fair play to him (and his commentator if he has one).

• Like 3

There was an old advert from years ago, it showed a blind man going to a match with his 2 mates, if I remember correctly it showed them helping him around, taking him to get a pie before the match etc, then they take him to the seat and when the game comes on they both did a kind of joint commentary and described the game as it was happening for him.

I can't remember what the advert was for and I would have only been really young when it was on.

On 25/11/2017 at 11:07, Stevo985 said:

Here you go.

Family time. 

• Like 1

Not a real heavy one here....but has anyone on VT ever tried a Turkish barber (or similar) for a shave ? Y'know, the cutthroat razor, hot towels scenario ? 

I'm tempted but have quite a sensitive upper lip area that i have to be careful about. Also, conversation would be limited like at the dentist....even if she was called Taneh ;)

6 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Not a real heavy one here....but has anyone on VT ever tried a Turkish barber (or similar) for a shave ? Y'know, the cutthroat razor, hot towels scenario ? 

I'm tempted but have quite a sensitive upper lip area that i have to be careful about. Also, conversation would be limited like at the dentist....even if she was called Taneh ;)

Yeah it's great fun. You know you've been through something put it that way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Its a bit extreme just to get rid of your ear and nose hair? ;)

• Haha 1

Â