Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I once found an old tin whistle in my aunt’s spare room. I say spare room, it was more like a storage cupboard where she kept all of her old stuff. So **** knows how long it had been there. 

I tried it to see if it would still play. Didn’t wash it or anything. It did. 

I don’t know what possessed me to do it, but I then decided to see if it would make the same noise if you breathed in instead of blew out. 

Something from inside the whistle flew out and went into my mouth and I instinctively swallowed. 

Dont know what it was. I was repulsed. And I still am. 

I’ve never gotten over that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I used to play the tuba (not a euphemism) and the gunk builds up in the mouthpiece like you wouldn't believe. 

You're...supposed to play it with your mouth.

Image result for embarrassed gif

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I used to play the tuba (not a euphemism) and the gunk builds up in the mouthpiece like you wouldn't believe. 

It's making me gag just thinking about it. Disgusting.

Do you wonder as I sometimes do about the news extracts and adverts within the film "Robocop" ? (Original Version) ?

How over time these once seemingly whimsical snapshots of a nightmare future have since become more true to life the longer we live, I think these and news clips of that ilk are now showing live on CNN.  

Will our current nightmare of mass shootings and terrorism be looked on as a saver place for people as they look to history for answers ?  

I remember watching this film and these clips and thinking,  "fools",  they are way off there.  I thought it was going to be like BTTF2 everywhere and so it.

There are films in this era where the "Big Crime" is someone doing a lot less than the bloke in Vegas the other day.  I don't know what all this means but it's not good.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, mjmooney said:

How clean IS a whistle? 

Could mean suit ?

More logical than a snot covered peanut type object in a small aluminium type case, that are used by PE teachers and referees everywhere ? :)

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ve never gotten over that. 

It was an Apple pip or a small insect egg and it really is nothing to worry about now,  the stage where any help could be offered has long since passed. 

Once grown is the worry,  where it comes out is really Russian Roulette at this juncture.

Just go home and rest.

I could be wrong.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Could mean suit ?

More logical than a snot covered peanut type object in a small aluminium type case, that's are used PE teachers and referees everywhere ? :)

"The Thunderer". 

31 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Do you wonder as I sometimes do about the news extracts and adverts within the film "Robocop" ? (Original Version) ?

How over time these once seemingly whimsical snapshots of a nightmare future have since become more true to life the longer we live, I think these and news clips of that ilk are now showing live on CNN.  

Will our current nightmare of mass shootings and terrorism be looked on as a saver place for people as they look to history for answers ?  

I remember watching this film and these clips and thinking,  "fools",  they are way off there.  I thought it was going to be like BTTF2 everywhere and so it.

There are films in this era where the "Big Crime" is someone doing a lot less than the bloke in Vegas the other day.  I don't know what all this means but it's not good.

Yeah, this. I often wonder how it would be for the teenaged me (or anybody from the 1960s, really) if they were magic'd into the present day. What would they make of it? Moving through time at normal life pace, the changes don't seem all that great (the 'boiling a frog' phenomenon), but when I stop to think of it, today does seem a bit of a science fiction dystopia (with a few bits of utopia). 

Back then, we thought the big advances would be in physical transport - personal jetpacks, flying cars, space travel, maybe even matter transference. We assumed that there would be very few - but very big - computers. Apart from the inevitable videophones, nobody guessed that the big leaps would be in minaturisation, democratisation of computing power, and telecoms. I think dodgy politics and eco disasters was pretty much a given, though.  :(

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, this. I often wonder how it would be for the teenaged me (or anybody from the 1960s, really) if they were magic'd into the present day. What would they make of it? Moving through time at normal life pace, the changes don't seem all that great (the 'boiling a frog' phenomenon), but when I stop to think of it, today does seem a bit of a science fiction dystopia (with a few bits of utopia). 

Back then, we thought the big advances would be in physical transport - personal jetpacks, flying cars, space travel, maybe even matter transference. We assumed that there would be very few - but very big - computers. Apart from the inevitable videophones, nobody guessed that the big leaps would be in minaturisation, democratisation of computing power, and telecoms. I think dodgy politics and eco disasters was pretty much a given, though.  :(

Yea I think that's spot on. 

I spoke about this with my father in law the other day (who's into his sci-fi/scyfy?) and he was saying that in the 60s it was the travelling element which was over-dramatised, because a phone was a phone and life was fine with "not having a phone constantly" - ergo, you didn't need information all the time. 

Whereas now, "the future" is more about "what can we put microchips in and connect to the internet?", which according to some physicists is things like wall paper (TV's become obsolete?), toilets (you have early signs of cancer, go take a pill from the Dr's), smart buildings, smart glasses (the introduction of augmented reality, personal profiles coming up in real time as you walk by people) all that stuff.

Sounds kinda cool, but it's looking to be people avoiding people even more.  

I think the world will look back at the 70s, 80s & 90s, where technology was available, but not essential and think of them as "freedom" times, where you could be off grid.  

It seemed like a nice balance which I think has gone too far now, but that's just me :)

Back to the point about fast-travel.  I think it's quite funny that even though we have better options to get places than we did, we're getting there slower generally because of lack of infrastructure and too many traffic jams! :) 

Edited by lapal_fan

When you think about it, the term smart 'phone' is a misnomer. A pocket-sized plastic device that lets you make phone calls to pretty much anyone on the planet is amazing enough, but that's a small part of it. It's a pager, it's a radio, it's a record player, it's a tape (sic) recorder, it's a television, it's a games console, it's a library, it's a newspaper, it's a calculator, it's a compass, it's a tape (sic) measure, it's a torch, it's a guitar tuner, it's a musical instrument, it's a credit/debit card, it's a whole high street full of shops... I'm sure I've missed a few. 

I wonder if it seems as incredible to someone who was born in this millennium as it does to a 1950s baby like me? Or is it just something taken for granted? 

• Like 2

Â