Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

27 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Does the anonymity of the internet give people license to say things they wouldn't say face to face?

Fake football website reveals what makes us become nasty trolls

What does seem to make people mean, though, is the behaviour of those around them. The tone set by other commenters was linked to the likelihood that a participant would use aggressive language to support their points.

It's not particularly anonymity. I've seen this on other football forums. The abuse and casual racism made me value VT's civility.

• Like 1

It also facilitates physical confrontation. People used to organise rallies (for example) via face-to-face meetings, newsletters, posters and phone calls. It meant that (a) the numbers turning up would be limited, and (b) the 'opposition' would be less likely to know about it in time to turn up and confront it. 

Not so nowadays. News flies round the internet pretty much instantaneously, and people are on the streets scrapping before you know it. And, as we have noted above, the slanging matches have already been raging online, so tempers are already inflamed. 

And as I speak, I've just got into another FB row with a racist meathead (as has #nazvilla of this parish, in the same thread).

I've been 'online' about 20 years. I first used the internet in about 1998, in my first office job. It was a place of awe and wonder. I think the first site I used was Autotrader as I was looking for my first car!

The online world was a much friendlier place back then in my opinion. Mainly because of the lack of social media and as a result you only really interacted with people you had common interests with on forums/message boards. These people would often become quite close online friends that you could chat to on MSN Messenger/AIM/ICQ/Yahoo for hours every night - I know I did. 

The amount of hatred spewed online now is staggering. Anyone famous who has a Instagram page or Twitter page is usually subjected to torrents of abuse at some point. 

This forum is a calm oasis in the rough waters of the online world and I'm grateful for it. Other forums I have been one, I had one person say they would kill me and another person who wished I would die of cancer. Charming! 

Still begs the question ... how did we all hear the Marc Almond story without internet ... did schools have a designated runner who had to get a rumour and carry it Olympic flame style onto the next school ....

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Will electric taxi's charge in the Killowat per mile ? So the running costs + time+little bit of profit + cost to charge the battery for that specific journey ?

Can I pay with a Duracell?

Do you know of any taxis that currently charge you by the amount of fuel used on the journey?

There's your answer ;)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bickster said:

Do you know of any taxis that currently charge you by the amount of fuel used on the journey?

There's your answer ;)

No but the cost of the fuel must be part of the total cost + wear and tear so would there be a re-calibration of this formale ?

(I was waiting for your reply tbh,  it was like a massive fishing net or crab pot of a question with your name on it :P(It was something I wondered as wear and teat on an electric engine,  not sure,  there is only 1 moving part afaik so the costs are rapidly reducing as I type it seems.  So what was €50  would now be approx €14.57 ?(I am joking))

:D

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

On 17/08/2017 at 10:26, mjmooney said:

Suddenly, the 'other' is right there on our Facebook or Twitter feed, and we can not only take offence at their apparently offensive opinions, but we can have a go right back at them - without any danger of a smack in the teeth. 

Also, while you're right, people tend to filter - so they follow other people with the same views and never get exposed to the (sometimes) reasonable viewpoints of "the other side" of the argument. This lack of understanding why others hold different views leads to assumptions that they must be just meatheads...so that leads to treating people like meatheads...cue escalating bickerfest and worse.

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Will electric taxi's charge in the Killowat per mile ? So the running costs + time+little bit of profit + cost to charge the battery for that specific journey ?

Can I pay with a Duracell?

No, you'll have to use your current account :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

No but the cost of the fuel must be part of the total cost + wear and tear so would there be a re-calibration of this formale ?

(I was waiting for your reply tbh,  it was like a massive fishing net or crab pot of a question with your name on it :P(It was something I wondered as wear and teat on an electric engine,  not sure,  there is only 1 moving part afaik so the costs are rapidly reducing as I type it seems.  So what was €50  would now be approx €14.57 ?(I am joking))

:D

Fuel is nowhere near the top of the cost list

Typical costs to take say £1000 a week

Car rental £200

Base fees £100 

Fuel £150

Other incidentals £50 (Cleaning, coffee, food etc)

So before you've even touched the tax implication, your £1000 a week is  halved to £500

Now not only that, in the UK at least (presume its similar in Amsterdam), the tariff is set by the local council for publically hireable taxis (The Hackney Carriage) or the booking agency (Private Hire Vehicles). If the council reduces the tariff they risk losing drivers who pay into their coffers as the job becomes less rewarding financially, exactly the same for the booking agencies, they lose the drivers who are in reality their customers... you see where this is going?

• Like 1

Thanks,  so the electric thing is good overall for drivers I suppose as it is a lot cheaper than petrol I presume after all is balanced out (Car costs more if electric?)

(I used to drive for a living so I was genuinly thinking about the electric imp[act on the taxis,  as there are 1000's and 1000's of them around Schipol.)  100's just waiting for there go everyday. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

you see where this is going?

Left on Renton Avenue, up the high street, round the back of the new shopping centre, up the hill, left at the lights, second right, down Borwick Crescent, fourth house on the right. 

54 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Left on Renton Avenue, up the high street, round the back of the new shopping centre, up the hill, left at the lights, second right, down Borwick Crescent, fourth house on the right. 

Ah that's the long route 

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Thanks,  so the electric thing is good overall for drivers I suppose as it is a lot cheaper than petrol I presume after all is balanced out (Car costs more if electric?)

(I used to drive for a living so I was genuinly thinking about the electric imp[act on the taxis,  as there are 1000's and 1000's of them around Schipol.)  100's just waiting for there go everyday. 

Tha new electric Hackney carriage just about to hit the roads is £55k and that's just for the vehicle, that doesn't include the cost of the licence, which usually has to be sourced via private sale as numbers are limited. Also the battery needs replacing every... god knows how long tbh but that is a huge cost.

The electric cab is currently a great idea if your a politician and a lousy one if you're a driver or a customer

ss it currently stands it's not going to reduce prices

Â