Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I think we've covered this on here before, but for years I've wondered if everyone sees colours the same.

I have a weird theory that people don't. What I know as blue may be the same as what you know as red, but because it's always been called blue I wouldn't know it was any different.

Could account for different tastes in fashion and design etc.

I'm sure someone will show me something that proves that that's utter nonsense, but it doesn't change the fact that I often wonder about it.

I wonder about this a lot, more than I should really.

Yeah me too although I think most people do see the colour as the same or very similar as you can describe it using words like light and dark which have fairly basic meanings. The other thing I think about is how to describe a colour. It's impossible.

In the film Mask deformed kid Eric Stoltz is trying to describe colours to a blind girl. He used something like stones which he heated up to describe red and cooled down to describe blue.

What it's like to be a man.

Well, you know that line about men thinking about sex every 5 seconds? For starters that's bollocks, more like every 0.5 of a second. Hell, in the time it's taken you to read this I've already cracked two off.

What it's like to be a man.

Well, you know that line about men thinking about sex every 5 seconds? For starters that's bollocks, more like every 0.5 of a second. Hell, in the time it's taken you to read this I've already cracked two off.

Yeah, thanks for that.

What it's like to be a man. Pure hell is my initial hought!
Being a man is great, what's not to like?

I always think it must be hell being a woman, I'd hate it. Except for the multiple orgasms, obviously.

I think we've covered this on here before, but for years I've wondered if everyone sees colours the same.

I have a weird theory that people don't. What I know as blue may be the same as what you know as red, but because it's always been called blue I wouldn't know it was any different.

I'm sure someone will show me something that proves that that's utter nonsense, but it doesn't change the fact that I often wonder about it.

If you're red/green colourblind, you see both colours as the same. But what do you see it as, red or green?

Both of those are very very easy to test. I presume it's the kind of experiment that gets done in first year philosophy all the time.

Being a man is great, what's not to like?

I always think it must be hell being a woman, I'd hate it. Except for the multiple orgasms, obviously.

I have always been of the opinion that being a female is **** brilliant between the ages of, say, sixteen and thirty (give or take a couple of years) then pretty shit after that. It must be great fun being the one who holds all the cards in the sexual politics wars that go on between puberty and parenthood. Once all that is over it is probably shite realising that you live in a man's world.

Being a man is essentially all about the balance of two major questions.

Firstly, can I maintain resolve and determination in the face of adversity to control or indeed resolve a plethora of circumstances whilst conducting myself with decorum and sensitivity?

Secondly, if all else fails, can I fit my cock into this bottle?

If you're red/green colourblind, you see both colours as the same. But what do you see it as, red or green?

Both of those are very very easy to test. I presume it's the kind of experiment that gets done in first year philosophy all the time.

There is no definitive answer to either of those questions. That's why it's a question still stuck in the file marked "philosophy" and not the all singing all dancing one marked "physics", nor indeed it's neighbor "biology".

Fascinating question. I personally believe we do experience colours in the same way. My orange is also your orange, if you catch my drift. At least a very close interpretation. Because when you describe a particular colour, it invokes the same emotional response in the vast majority of people. A bright, vivid orange could never be mistaken for a bright, vivid blue. They just don't "feel" the same.

Two things always bother me.

1. If you have your eyes removed what do you see? Because if you close your eyes you 'see' black. So surely you would 'see' nothing. How can you see nothing?

2. What came first? The menstrual cycle or the month?

Where did Neil Warnocks eyebrows go?

If the creation of everything started when two atoms collided, where did those atoms come from to cause the collison and resulting explosion?

If the creation of everything started when two atoms collided, where did those atoms come from to cause the collison and resulting explosion?

All matter came from quantum fluctuations.

The big bang wasn't just an atom collision though.

What came first? The menstrual cycle or the month?
The month.

The word "menstruation" is etymologically related to "moon". The terms "menstruation" and "menses" are derived from the Latin mensis (month), which in turn relates to the Greek mene (moon) and to the roots of the English words month and moon.

Some authors believe women in traditional societies without nightlighting ovulated with the full moon and menstruated with the new moon. A few studies in both humans and other animals have found that artificial light at night does influence the menstrual cycle in humans and the estrus cycle in mice (cycles are more regular in the absence of artificial light at night). It has also been suggested that bright light exposure in the morning promotes more regular cycles. One author has suggested that sensitivity of women's cycles to nightlighting is caused by nutritional deficiencies of certain vitamins and minerals.

Animal's menstrual cycles are frequently different from the 29.53 day lunar cycle; the average cycle length in orangutans is the closest to that of humans, 28 days, while the cycle for chimpanzees is 35 days and the cycle for sheep is just 16 days. Some studies show a correlation between the human menstrual cycle and the lunar cycle, while a meta-analysis of studies from 1996 showed no correlation.

Wikipedia, natch

There is no definitive answer to either of those questions. That's why it's a question still stuck in the file marked "philosophy" and not the all singing all dancing one marked "physics", nor indeed it's neighbor "biology".

Fascinating question. I personally believe we do experience colours in the same way. My orange is also your orange, if you catch my drift. At least a very close interpretation. Because when you describe a particular colour, it invokes the same emotional response in the vast majority of people. A bright, vivid orange could never be mistaken for a bright, vivid blue. They just don't "feel" the same.

I did choose the word 'philosophy' very carefully, didn't I? ;)

I imagine it to be either the type of thing an incredibly stoned person might say when they think they are being, like, really deep at 2am, or first year of university stuff. Not that I am educated or anything, but "has the colour I have been calling blue all these years actually been the colour you call red?" question is just so easy to test. All you need is a bunch of cards with colours on them and a large sample of people to identify the colours. Almost everybody will call the red card red and the blue card blue. Those who don't should probably go see a doctor.

I imagine it to be first year stuff though, not that I am educated or anything, but "has the colour I have been calling blue all these years actually been the colour you call red?" question is just so easy to test. All you need is a bunch of cards with colours on them and a large sample of people to identify the colours. Almost everybody will call the red card red and the blue card blue. Those who don't should probably go see a doctor.

Yes, but whilst we might call them the same things we might see them completely differently - show us both a blue card and we'll both say it's blue. You might see green and I might see red, but we'll say blue because that's what we each call the colour.

I'm not sure how your test works?

I did choose the word 'philosophy' very carefully, didn't I? ;)

I imagine it to be first year stuff though, not that I am educated or anything, but "has the colour I have been calling blue all these years actually been the colour you call red?" question is just so easy to test. All you need is a bunch of cards with colours on them and a large sample of people to identify the colours. Almost everybody will call the red card red and the blue card blue. Those who don't should probably go see a doctor.

But that doesn't test if they're actually seeing the same colour.

They could be picking up the card that looks like what you think blue is, that they've called it red all their life means they'd pass your little test even though to them it looks like blue not red.

Â