Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Everyone wants what they can't have (normally).

I love the idea of spending a year or 2 in one country, back home for 2, back out again, but that lifestyle doesn't really exist (not sensibly with a wife and kid anyway).

That's why holidays are so great.  You get to go to these places without the hassle of "work". 

Just take a month off work and come over, you could get most of the UK done in 2/3 months. Just avoid Burnley and Hull (LOL @ capital of culture) - they're shitholes :) 

I read somewhere that Luton was the worst place to live in England.

But yes, I agree. I often find my mind doing that whenever I visit a new country, wondering if I could live there.

The best way is to visit. Villa Park is high up on the bucket list, and it must be done. From here, I will see how it goes.

However, ambition isn't even a first step. It is just gazing in the direction you want to go.

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I lived that life and loved it, but it does have it's drawbacks. At 30, I've not long moved back to the country, got no savings and have only just started making national insurance contributions. I won't retire a day before 70, that's for sure. 

You've done it the right way my friend (unless you wanted to be a younger father), you did it with 100% health and vitality, rather than going through the motions once retired.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2017 at 09:43, AJ said:

I have often wondered what it would be like if I emigrated to the UK. I wonder if I could cope? There are some obvious similarities, but there are some big differences too, that may bite me on the bum. Things such as weather, overcrowding, food, and cost of living.

I earn approx. 80k Australian, and that works out at roughly 49 000 pound, or roughly 4000 pound/ month. I probably wont get anything that pays that well, so I wonder what is the least per month to live comfortably over there?

£40,000-£45,000 would give you a ok standard of living outside London and the South East. I think the national average salary in the UK is £26,000, which to be honest, would be difficult for me to survive on. I know people do, I'd jus have to be a lot more disciplined

I've often thought of living abroad, perhaps take a sabbatical. I'm not sure where though. Maybe Vienna or Budapest. Learn the language. Whether I ever do is another matter 

On 1/19/2017 at 16:41, HanoiVillan said:

I lived that life and loved it, but it does have it's drawbacks. At 30, I've not long moved back to the country, got no savings and have only just started making national insurance contributions. I won't retire a day before 70, that's for sure. 

You'll have those great memories though

I wish I'd dome something when I was younger, like a gap year or just a long holiday. I went straight into work when i left college and that's been it. Twenty years later and the longest I have had off from work is just over 3 weeks. I sometimes feel as though I need a long break as I'm tired and a bit jaded. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Has anybody ever used their car's glove compartment to store gloves? 

Strange one isn't it, if I ever found gloves in someone's glove compartment I'd immediately think rapist or murderer.  I think I've watched too many crime dramas.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

me.

in the early 70's my dad used to keep his,mine and my brothers gloves in his Vauxhall victors glove compartment on the way to the game.he didn't want us to mark the light blue seats.

8 hours ago, krisagg75 said:

No.

in the early 70's my dad used to keep his,mine and my brothers drugs in his Vauxhall victors glove compartment on the way to the gig.he didn't want us to mark the light blue seats.

That sounds better for a 70s lad ;)

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

One of my favourite lyrics of my favourite band, Death Cab for Cutie, recognise this in their song 'Title and Registration':

"The glove compartment is inaccurately named,

and everybody knows it.

So I'm proposing a swift, orderly change.

'Cause behind its door, there's nothing to keep my fingers warm.

And all I find are souvenirs of better times."

Edited by Ginko

I often wonder how much more money train companies would make it they properly policed ticket purchases.

As in, if every single person riding the trains had purchased the correct ticket at the right price, how much more money would they make?

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I often wonder how much more money train companies would make it they properly policed ticket purchases.

As in, if every single person riding the trains had purchased the correct ticket at the right price, how much more money would they make?

and if everyone did purchase the correct ticket at the right price, then more money would be received, and ticket prices could be lowered, and so more people would purchase the correct ticket at the right price. 

35 minutes ago, ender4 said:

and if everyone did purchase the correct ticket at the right price, then more money would be received, and ticket prices could be lowered, and so more people would purchase the correct ticket at the right price. 

yeah, that's what got me thinking about it.

On 1/21/2017 at 14:53, mjmooney said:

In winter, it's where I keep my de-icing gloves so I don't get wet hands clearing the windscreen. :blush:

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd say a good 25% of people on the train don't have a ticket, rising to 50% later in the evening.

I go from Four Oaks (no barriers) to Five Ways (barriers but 99% open all the time). On Friday, the barriers were active and the Police were there. There were loads of people getting off the train at Five Ways with no ticket (they'd either been on the train from the north side of the Cross City line or had changed trains at New St to get to Five Ways)

13 hours ago, Xela said:

I'd say a good 25% of people on the train don't have a ticket, rising to 50% later in the evening.

I go from Four Oaks (no barriers) to Five Ways (barriers but 99% open all the time). On Friday, the barriers were active and the Police were there. There were loads of people getting off the train at Five Ways with no ticket (they'd either been on the train from the north side of the Cross City line or had changed trains at New St to get to Five Ways)

It was the villa game that got me wondering.

Thousands of people turning up on the train and nobody even pretending to check tickets.

I bet half the people haven't got one.

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was the villa game that got me wondering.

Thousands of people turning up on the train and nobody even pretending to check tickets.

I bet half the people haven't got one.

In large chinks of the western world (I can't speak for the rest). Public transport to big events is usually free.

Â