Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Does anyone else's wife or significant other suck up daddy longlegs ( Pholcus phalangioides) in the house at bed time with the vacuum and block the end with toilet paper to stop them escaping during the night ?

Edited by Follyfoot

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Does anyone else's wife or significant other suck up daddy longlegs in the house at bed time with the vacuum and block the end with toilet paper to stop them escaping during the night ?

Oddly specific time to go hunting for craneflys. Are they safe at all the other times of the day?

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oddly specific time to go hunting for craneflys. Are they safe at all the other times of the day?

Yes, there is concern they might 'get' her (wish they bleedin would) during the night whilst she is off guard and asleep. She releases them from temporary incarnation the following morning 

Edited by Follyfoot

My daughter obsesses over spiders, not crane flies. To the point we have multiple conversations every day about how they don't want to kill her. Last night I said for **** sake why are you so obsessed with spiders? Quite rightly she pointed out she has ocd. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

My daughter obsesses over spiders, not crane flies. To the point we have multiple conversations every day about how they don't want to kill her. Last night I said for **** sake why are you so obsessed with spiders? Quite rightly she pointed out she has ocd. 

My Sister ate one when she was five, the image of her with the legs sticking out of her mouth has stuck with me ever since 

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

My daughter hates spiders as well.She cant stand them sooo much that the rest of the family are not even allowed to call them spiders.We have to call them "those hairy things"

If memory serves though, you are in Australia, fear of spiders is entirely rational. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

If memory serves though, you are in Australia, fear of spiders is entirely rational. 

Yes,Im in Australia but as far as I know the only deadly spider here in WA is the Redback and if you want to see one of those,you have to look for it ( not easy to find ) on the other hand there are some really BIG harmless spiders here.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Fun fact. Australia had to ban an episode of Peppa Pig where a very pro-spider Peppa told kids 'spiders can't hurt you' :)

Another fun fact: more Australians die from allergic reactions to bee stings than from spider bites.

(In fact I think I remember that there's been fewer than 5 deaths from spiders since the early 80s or something).

34 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Another fun fact: more Australians die from allergic reactions to bee stings than from spider bites.

(In fact I think I remember that there's been fewer than 5 deaths from spiders since the early 80s or something).

Do you have data on snakes? I don’t particularly care about spiders, but snakes is one area where the bible is spot on. They’re the devil, and reason enough to leave Australia the **** alone for me. 

(And yes, I could google it, but I’d rather waste your time than mine 😘

16 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

That line has always been pure BS even over here, a spider once made a scything remark about my weight and I've been self-conscious ever since.

Serves you right for playing in goal, you lazy word removed 😉

48 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I got stung by a bee once ....

it charged me £20 for a jar of honey 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Do you have data on snakes? I don’t particularly care about spiders, but snakes is one area where the bible is spot on. They’re the devil, and reason enough to leave Australia the **** alone for me. 

(And yes, I could google it, but I’d rather waste your time than mine 😘

About 3000 bites per year, roughly 500 hospitalisations, average of 1-2 deaths per year according to Google.

If you want to torture yourself, someone decided to make a Wikipedia list of all the deaths: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_Australia

So you can enjoy this stuff:

snake.jpg

• Sad 1

Â