Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I did read the conversation, hence my reply to it in the post above the one you’ve quoted. 

The post you’ve quoted was in response to a post that talked about old people criticising fashion. 

Don’t get your knickers in a twist, I only namedropped you because you’re the person who points out my lack of socks all the time 😊

Well put some bloody socks on then child. 

I think you could say this about people in general.

As in plenty of men and women could be very good looking if they were given the right "glow up" to use a modern phrase.

I remember there used to be a show called beauty and the geek. A reality show where they put a load of hot female models into a house with a load of geeky blokes and see if anyone hooked up. A bit like love island with a twist. It was shit, BUT there was an episode where the girls gave all the guys a make over. Bought them fashionable clothes and styled their hair, changed their glasses for contacts etc. Some of them were still ugly so sorry but thanks for playing. but some of them genuinely looked incredible in comparison to their normal style (or lack of). They just had no idea how to dress, or what haircut to have. Or they lacked the confidence to ever try different clothes or styles etc

Ahh.  Those will be the male models they deliberately doured up and threw in there for televisual effect.  The reality was probably the exact opposite of the staged presentation. 

but some of them genuinely looked incredible in comparison to their normal style (or lack of). They just had no idea how to dress, or what haircut to have. Or they lacked the confidence to ever try different clothes or styles etc

Or maybe like most blokes, couldn't be arsed with all that bollocks and have better things to do with their time

• Like 1

Not sure if this makes sense but sometimes to me it's the quality of TV footage that ages things more than the actual style, as when I've seen old stuff upscaled to HD it brings things more into the here-and-now and people look less old-fashioned.

I had been wondering all week what type of helicopters the Army had been buzzing our house with every night this week but I got a nice proper close up of one on my way home tonight and they are the newish Wildcats (replacements for the Lynx)

AgustaWestland-AW-159-Wildcat-AH.1-1090x

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

I had been wondering all week what type of helicopters the Army had been buzzing our house with every night this week but I got a nice proper close up of one on my way home tonight and they are the newish Wildcats (replacements for the Lynx)

Aye, that's them. Been thwack thwack thwacking around for almost a week now. Makes a change from hearing just the 'phoons.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

Aye, that's them. Been thwack thwack thwacking around for almost a week now. Makes a change from hearing just the 'phoons.

Started Monday, will probably go on until Friday on past president. They seem to be doing hour long sorties landing at the rifle range here

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Didn’t realise it was quite so rough up north.

I get worried by the speed camera van but this puts it in to perspective.

There are many words that would be removed to describe SW Police speed camera vans (last buggers to do me)

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Didn’t realise it was quite so rough up north.

I get worried by the speed camera van but this puts it in to perspective.

We need all this military stuff to guard the gravy lakes, pristine pea wet rivers & pie mines.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Started Monday, will probably go on until Friday on past president. They seem to be doing hour long sorties landing at the rifle range here

I think I first saw one (this time) at the weekend. Initially heard it before I saw it and wondered if it was the 'Nam era Huey chopper that comes here every summer, but no, t'was a modern Super Lynx or Wildcat (didn't pay that much attention).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Not sure if this makes sense but sometimes to me it's the quality of TV footage that ages things more than the actual style, as when I've seen old stuff upscaled to HD it brings things more into the here-and-now and people look less old-fashioned.

Dunno about HD, as it's always seemed a bit 'Emperors's new clothes' to me, but I'm always struck by how much more 'real' 1930s & 40s colour footage seems, compared to the usual black & white. 

On the dialects thread I made a joke anout the swedish chef. 

Question for Swedes. In the Muppets clearly The Swedish chef talks gibberish. For Swedish audiences is the dub different? Does he actually talk Swedish when dubbed into Swedish?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bickster said:

In the last couple of months I've had 2 Apache Attack Helicopters flying right over my house, then a Typhoon jet fighter and today a Chinook went over. 

I'm starting to get paranoid! 

• Shocked 1

18 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

On the dialects thread I made a joke anout the swedish chef. 

Question for Swedes. In the Muppets clearly The Swedish chef talks gibberish. For Swedish audiences is the dub different? Does he actually talk Swedish when dubbed into Swedish?

Best question ever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

One of the best examples i've seen of this was this Oasis song. The original video was 1997. The remaster was done a few years ago and just makes it feel so much more modern. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

In the last couple of months I've had 2 Apache Attack Helicopters flying right over my house, then a Typhoon jet fighter and today a Chinook went over. 

I'm starting to get paranoid! 

I’ll have chinook week in one of the weeks ahead. We have a week of that to when they give all the cadets a ride in one 

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

I’ll have chinook week in one of the weeks ahead. We have a week of that to when they give all the cadets a ride in one 

Should take them through Mach Loop. 

Much more fun if a little stomach churning. 

• Like 1

Â