Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

If you took an average man in the street, dressed in the fashions of the day:

And took someone from 1955 and plonked them into 1965 they would stand out like a sore thumb. 

And took someone from 1965 and plonked them into 1975 they would stand out like a sore thumb

And took someone from 1975 and plonked them into 1985 they would stand out like a sore thumb

And took someone from 1985 and plonked them into 1995 they would stand out like a sore thumb

And took someone from 1995 and plonked them into 2005 or 2015 or 2021 you would probably not give them a second glance, other than maybe think their clothes were a little baggy. 

Why has fashion spent almost 30 years in statis? 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

If took an average man in the street, dressed in the fashions of the day:

And took someone from 1955 and plonked them into 1965 they would stand out like a sore thumb. 

And took someone from 1965 and plonked them into 1975 they would stand out like a sore thumb

And took someone from 1975 and plonked them into 1985 they would stand out like a sore thumb

And took someone from 1985 and plonked them into 1995 they would stand out like a sore thumb

And took someone from 1995 and plonked them into 2005 or 2015 or 2021 you would probably not give them a second glance, other than maybe think their clothes were a little baggy. 

I think the answer to this is since the 80's, big brands have taken over fashion,  those brands are dictating style and street clothes. There hasn't really been a youth fashion cult since .... I guess the New Romantics were the last. As markets became bigger with the opening up of the EU so did advertising budgets and their reach. Just think from 1976 to about 82/83, we had punk, post-punk/indie, goth, skinheads, new romantics, rockabllly/psychobilly, mods and probably a few I've forgotten. What has there been since?

Erm, Madchester, casual clothes but a bit baggier. Rave Culture - no one dresses like that unless they are going to a rave (not really a street scene as such) and erm EMO (which was just an extension of Goth anyway). Big advertising budgets for fashion just meant less people looking at fashion scenes.

The same thing could be said for in the same decade for different countries. In the 80s and before you could spot non-UK European kids on the street a mile off, their clothes were SO different. Since then not really so much if at all

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sidcow said:

I dont agree with that.

If you compare a guy about to go out in 1995 and compare a guy about to go out in 2021,the difference would be.

1995 Hang on,I have to change my pants,these have holes in the knees.

2021 Hang on,I have to change my pants, these dont have any holes in the knees. 

14 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I dont agree with that.

If you compare a guy about to go out in 1995 and compare a guy about to go out in 2021,the difference would be.

Ah come on, you're Australian, you'll realise we're talking sense when punk finally gets to those shores :trollface:

23 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I dont agree with that.

I said average man in the street, not a 20 year old no socks rocket polisher.

Oh, and by the way, pants which have holes in the knees are called long Johns.

Edited by sidcow

I said average man in the street, not a 20 year old no socks rocket polisher.

I'm not sure why they don't realise that pedal pushers and loafers was a girls fashion

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm not sure why they don't realise that pedal pushers and loafers was a girls fashion

I'm sorry but grown men going out at night dressed like a big girl? Never going to happen. 

9A7F3699-E82A-4EE3-A1BA-440BFEFB1613.jpe

I think what we have here is a classic example of old people giving it a good chorus of ‘well back in my day…’

My kids would be able to call out the various sub groups of today’s trends and fashions. Personally, I wouldn’t know if someone was in to drill or dressed for gramming, or ready for a weekend of line dancing and chemical toilets. But I trust the kids to be tweeking and subverting fashions well below the 50 year old’s radar.

I remember my parents attempting to buy me a blazer when I was in to all that. All I can say is, I can still spot the difference between Pub Landlord and Steve Marriott. My parents never could and never will.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Depends on who the 'someone' was. If they were into leading edge fashion, maybe so, but the majority of people looked remarkably similar across the decades.  Look at a random photo of a street in Brum in (say) the mid-60s, and try and spot any mods, rockers or hippies. There might be the odd one, but it's otherwise a mass of drab raincoats, horn-rimmed specs, trilbies and short hair. Much like the same scene in the 40s or 50s. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

I used to think something like this, and then I briefly got into watching repeats of the Crystal Maze, and I don't think that any more. Obviously that's just the haircuts, but you wouldn't mistake 90s haircuts for today's at all. 

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I used to think something like this, and then I briefly got into watching repeats of the Crystal Maze, and I don't think that any more. Obviously that's just the haircuts, but you wouldn't mistake 90s haircuts for today's at all. 

Didn't someone on here post an exert from a women's magazine the other day talking about Grealish bringin back the 90s curtains haircut look with a picture of him next to some 90s popstar? 

Didn't someone on here post an exert from a women's magazine the other day talking about Grealish bringin back the 90s curtains haircut look with a picture of him next to some 90s popstar? 

I missed that treat!

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

If you took an average man in the street, dressed in the fashions of the day:

Spooky, was speaking to a mate about this when I was in a pub in Cheshire the other week. 

I think the 90's had a distinct look.... certainly early to mid 90s. 

I'd agree that in the last 15 years... perhaps 20 years, I can't see any difference. 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm sorry but grown men going out at night dressed like a big girl? Never going to happen. 

9A7F3699-E82A-4EE3-A1BA-440BFEFB1613.jpe

I don't care what you say, I think its great that women are so empowered now they don't need to shave to go out and have a good time. Too often they have been dictated to, by the patriarchy, in how they should look and act. 

• Haha 4

I can find evidence that since 1986 I have been wearing band tshirt, jeans, vans/converse/docs. Its only the decreasing hairline, increasing waistline and band on the tshirt that would give the decade away. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I can find evidence that since 1986 I have been wearing band tshirt, jeans, vans/converse/docs. Its only the decreasing hairline, increasing waistline and band on the tshirt that would give the decade away. 

What's your oldest band t shirt? 

I only have three: Big Big Train (current prog band), Mile Twelve (current bluegrass band), and...The Who (UK tour 1973 - very much the worse for wear, but of immense sentimental value).  

EDIT: Technically four, if you include the custom made one that reads

Clark 

& McGuinn 

& Crosby 

& Hillman 

& Clarke 

I don't wear any of them on a day-to-day basis. 

Edited by mjmooney

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

What's your oldest band t shirt? 

I only have three: Big Big Train (current prog band), Mile Twelve (current bluegrass band), and...The Who (UK tour 1973 - very much the worse for wear, but of immense sentimental value).  

EDIT: Technically four, if you include the custom made one that reads

Clark 

& McGuinn 

& Crosby 

& Hillman 

& Clarke 

I don't wear any of them on a day-to-day basis. 

Coincidentally I went down a Big Big Train rabbit hole last week as someone mentioned them. Prog isnt my thing but it killed an hour. 

My oldest is a Family Cat tshirt that my wife ises when she dyes her hair, its from 1990. I have a weezer one from 1994 that I relax in. Of the ones I leave the house in, I have a Supersuckers “really bad people be tripping” tshirt from 2005. Older than that are reserved for indoors only.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Coincidentally I went down a Big Big Train rabbit hole last week as someone mentioned them. Prog isnt my thing but it killed an hour. 

'English Electric: Full Power' is, in my opinion, a stone-cold masterpiece. Everything else by them is disposable. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

vans/converse/

Sorry busy day , but I’m sure you knew it was coming :)

Unless your name is Avril Lavigne or Tony Hawk , under no circumstances should you wear converse or vans 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â