Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

3 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Careful!  He might come after you.

As long as he doesn’t sit in the disabled bay listening to Absolute Shite FM he should be ok.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Haha 1

Am I the only person who when reading an on topic thread just completely ignores any table of player stats anyone posts up? I don't even read or try to understand it, just move right on. 

• Like 2

I know there are 4 countries with anthems that don't have words (famously including Spain), but are there any anthems which feature traditional local instrumentation or musical styles? If not, why has nobody ever done that?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know there are 4 countries with anthems that don't have words (famously including Spain), but are there any anthems which feature traditional local instrumentation or musical styles? If not, why has nobody ever done that?

The Welsh one obviously. Male Voice Choirs are a traditional Welsh musical style

It's a bit of a silly question because as long as the music is written down you can play it on most instruments

Without even checking I'm damn sure you'll find someone squeezing out Flower of Scotland on the cat stranglers

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Are there people who put a sock and shoe on before putting the second sock on? 

I’ll do that when leaving the beach or leaving the changing rooms of a leisure centre.

In the first case, if I’ve left the sand area, I’ll brush my one foot down, put a sock on and then the shoe before putting my foot back down onto the floor. My foot is is then protected from getting sand on it or in my shoe (relatively speaking). I’ll then brush down my other foot, etc etc.

The exact same thing with the wet floor in the changing room, but just avoiding getting feet wet, rather than sandy.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

You put socks on when you've left a beach? Wut? this is what sandals / sliders were invented for

socks on a beach is like gravy on fish

Ankle socks, yeah. And not ON the beach. When I’m leaving the beach. I hate sandals, flip flops of any kind. 

I’d rather wear slip on espadrilles type shoes. I’m more or less always barefoot when I’m on the beach itself. But when I leave (as in when I’m physically off the sand) I’ll put that sort of footwear back on, and I find it’s more comfortable if I wear ankle/invisible socks. 

I really, really can’t abide sandals or any footwear like that. Nothing to do with aesthetics, I’ve never once worn a pair I’ve found comfortable.

3 hours ago, bickster said:

The Welsh one obviously. Male Voice Choirs are a traditional Welsh musical style

It's a bit of a silly question because as long as the music is written down you can play it on most instruments

Without even checking I'm damn sure you'll find someone squeezing out Flower of Scotland on the cat stranglers

Sure, I know you *can* play things on different instruments; what I'm asking more specifically is if there is one that is *usually* done with instrumentation traditional to that country. With Flower of Scotland for example, it's not normally a version with bagpipes at official functions, surely?

Edited by HanoiVillan

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sure, I know you *can* play things on different instruments; what I'm asking more specifically is if there is one that is *usually* done with instrumentation traditional to that country. With Flower of Scotland for example, it's not normally a version with bagpipes at official functions, surely?

I guess the standard etiquette is it has to be translatable to the international shite military band instruments so any band in any airport can knock out a passable version.

No good having your national anthem written specifically for the theremin if there are not many bands with a theremin and a plug socket on the side of the runway.

Drums and various tooters because pretty much everyone can rustle up some drummers and tooters.

That’s my theory.

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sure, I know you *can* play things on different instruments; what I'm asking more specifically is if there is one that is *usually* done with instrumentation traditional to that country. With Flower of Scotland for example, it's normally a version with bagpipes at official functions, surely?

Is Rugby an official function?

Originally wiritten on some form of traditional highland celtic instruments of torture too

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I guess the standard etiquette is it has to be translatable to the international shite military band instruments so any band in any airport can knock out a passable version.

No good having your national anthem written specifically for the theremin if there are not many bands with a theremin and a plug socket on the side of the runway.

Drums and various tooters because pretty much everyone can rustle up some drummers and tooters.

That’s my theory.

That was my assumption as well. I also wondered if it's something to do with the era of the rise of the modern nation state, and it being roughly at the same time as European colonialism at its peak? Hence traditional European military instrumentation . . .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That was my assumption as well. I also wondered if it's something to do with the era of the rise of the modern nation state, and it being roughly at the same time as European colonialism at its peak? Hence traditional European military instrumentation . . .

That’s definitely where I’m at.

States like Bolivia or Australia or Myanmar would just be reflecting relics of the that period of history. No way did the multiple indigenous peoples of South America all toot little songs to each other before the Spanish rocked up.

Same thing with flags, not many countries missed the memo on flags needing to be a landscape rectangle. They just conformed with the norm once the Europeans went round the place.

I’m always quite sad how unimaginative most flags are, so many are just three colour stripes on a rectangle. Jazz it up a bit folks.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

That’s definitely where I’m at.

States like Bolivia or Australia or Myanmar would just be reflecting relics of the that period of history. No way did the multiple indigenous peoples of South America all toot little songs to each other before the Spanish rocked up.

Same thing with flags, not many countries missed the memo on flags needing to be a landscape rectangle. They just conformed with the norm once the Europeans went round the place.

I’m always quite sad how unimaginative most flags are, so many are just three colour stripes on a rectangle. Jazz it up a bit folks.

1_7mr-X-_9PnLWkZZ0lzZH6w.0.jpeg

Barbados were obviously heavily influenced by Schmidt, Czukay, Suzuki et al

• Like 2

Â