Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

How much does it hurt to be for example the 50th best 400m runner in the world, dedicating your life to the sport.  Despite having literally amazing world class abilities with only 49 people on the entire planet to be better than you, yet get paid probably nothing or very little for it.  

Then see that the 1,000th best footballer in the world is still a multi millionaire 

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

How much does it hurt to be for example the 50th best 400m runner in the world, dedicating your life to the sport.  Despite having literally amazing world class abilities with only 49 people on the entire planet to be better than you, yet get paid probably nothing or very little for it.  

Then see that the 1,000th best footballer in the world is still a multi millionaire 

I used to work with a guy who was the runner up in the croquet world championships (and went on to win it a few years later). At the time he worked full time on an IT helpdesk earning about 20k.

I think people competing in events that don't have lots of money in it appreciate the fact that they would struggle a lot more to compete at the top if there was anything like the competition you get in football.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I used to work with a guy who was the runner up in the croquet world championships (and went on to win it a few years later). At the time he worked full time on an IT helpdesk earning about 20k.

I think people competing in events that don't have lots of money in it appreciate the fact that they would struggle a lot more to compete at the top if there was anything like the competition you get in football.

It was this guy wasn't it

book-timmy.jpg

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A significant proportion of those footballers could probably be competing with the 50th best 400m runner to be honest.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've often thought whether if as a teenager i'd dedicated myself to a sport/hobby that was fairly niche - like croquet, like you mention above, or crown green bowls or curling, could I get to the top of the world rankings just by practice and dedication? 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

And all the armchair sports fans scoff at those 'failures'. Someone like, say, Tim Henman. For several years one of the top ten tennis players in the world, yet constantly labelled a 'loser'. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

My  mate ( and Villa fan) , was the number one in the world at croquet for a while back in the 90’s

he joined a local club in Surbiton one day and just went down and played every day for a few years and then started doing the tournaments… because he was young and had tattoos he was the goto person for a while on any croquet stuff … we were travelling through Slovakia  one year when he got a phone call from the Guardian who did a small piece on him and he also appeared on Cilla Blacks show where contestants had to do a challenge and his job was to get the contestant to run a croquet hoop

but zero money in it , you had to pay your own travel to tournaments etc 

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

I went to a talk he did one time , the film glamourised his life a little … when he went to Germany ( I think) he was so poor that he basically waited until school trips had finished and then he would take all their left over food from the bins in order to eat … Really funny man and very inspiring… and a proper athlete , could possibly have had a career in football or rugby and was a very good downhill skier

• Like 2

How much of McDonalds income now comes via the likes of Uber Eats and Just Eat?

Went past @Genie's local one earlier on the A5 and there was loads of delivery drivers with those big insulated food bags going in and out. 

How does it work? Does the buyer have to pay extra for the food or do they pay shop price and Maccys pay a commission to the company?

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

Went past @Genie's local one earlier on the A5 and there was loads of delivery drivers with those big insulated food bags going in and out. 

How does it work? Does the buyer have to pay extra for the food or do they pay shop price and Maccys pay a commission to the company?

I think the way it works is you have to pay a little more money to get some cold, limp burgers and some wilting fries but you don't need to get off your fat arse. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Standard price I think, £1.99 delivery with JustEat. Not sure how much of the £1.99 the driver keeps.

I noticed a while ago with Uber Eats that KFC is much more expensive than direct. Not sure if it’s the same with all their food.

22 hours ago, Xela said:

You pay the price the shop charges plus delivery. The shop owner and the delivery slave both pay a percentage of their  transactions to the slave master

If the average women is generally more flexible than the average man, and men have more vulnerable groins than women. Why are women's bicycles the ones with the lower bar? 

Â