Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 07/04/2020 at 20:29, Xela said:

I have a good view of the train station car park from my window. During normal times it is packed by 7:30am. The last couple of weeks its been interesting hows its reduced. Its generally about 7 or 8 cars now, which includes the people who work there. 

Sadly there has been one car that hasn't moved for nearly 2 weeks. You start to think why and then fear the worst. The owner could be ill in hospital or even worse :( 

Further update on this. 

The one car still hasn't moved so that is close to 3 months. 

Overall train station car park still empty - no more than 10-15 cars daily. The train company (West Mids Railway) must be losing a fortune. 

28 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Does human activity cause the weather to change?

YES

Is the recent great weather down to the fact that there are less people traveling about at the moment?

NO

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Does human activity cause the weather to change?

Is the recent great weather down to the fact that there are less people traveling about at the moment?

As chris said, yes human activity changes the weather, but not as quickly as it would have to change for the current weather to be a result of lockdown

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Maybe the lockdown hasn't changed the weather but rather people's perception of the weather.

I think that's probably true.

Although it has apparently been the sunniest May on record, so we have had unusually good weather.

16 hours ago, useless said:

Sometimes when sitting at a train station I'll see a train pull in and I'll look at the passengers onboard and think to myself I've never seen those people before and when it departs will probably never see them again, which for some reason makes me feel quite melancholic, obviously you see people that you will never see again in other situations, but something about them being carried far away by a mighty train makes it all the more explicit and final.

Have a like for the phrase 'a mighty train'.

Why did girl bands and boy bands go out of fashion, at one time they ruled the charts, can only think of One Direction and Little Mix from recent times, and 1D split up quite a while ago now.

• Like 1

Has there been a big international girl band since destiny's child (if you class them as a girl band) 

I would guess its down to the success of solo artists, singer song writers is all the rage thanks to Ed 

And to be fair I'm going to throw this out there...the 1975 are a boy band... They've just picked up guitars and tried to convince people they're real musicians 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Has there been a big international girl band since destiny's child (if you class them as a girl band) 

I would guess its down to the success of solo artists, singer song writers is all the rage thanks to Ed 

And to be fair I'm going to throw this out there...the 1975 are a boy band... They've just picked up guitars and tried to convince people they're real musicians 

I think Girls Aloud and Little Mix have had a lot of success. 
Little Mix still around but there isn’t any big boy bands at the moment is there? Since 1 Direction jacked it in no body replaces them. 

Edited by Genie

You need to look away from the west and look to South Korea. Kpop bands are selling out stadia all around the world including here. BTS, Blackpink etc. 

• Like 3

Destiny's Child last released an album in 2004, Girls Aloud and Pussycat Dolls both had success since then but even they haven't released anything in the last ten years. I find it even stranger when you consider how big these types of groups are in Japan and Korea. 1975 apart from the name I'm not really aware of, always presumed they were some sort of indie band.

Maybe new music is going out of fashion.

Remember the 90’s indie music from Oasis, Blur, Stereophonics, Travis, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Greenday, Radiohead.... so much quality music. Who is “big” now outside of Ed Sheehan?

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Maybe new music is going out of fashion.

Remember the 90’s indie music from Oasis, Blur, Stereophonics, Travis, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Greenday, Radiohead.... so much quality music. Who is “big” now outside of Ed Sheehan?

Well The Rolling Stones just dropped a new album. Whether that qualifies as being in the new category I dunno 😆

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well The Rolling Stones just dropped a new album. Whether that qualifies as being in the new category I dunno 😆

Not quite, which new acts have appeared in the past 10-15 years that are world famous and will have music that lasts 20+ years?

But when did any of us on here last listen to Radio 1? :lol:  There's probably hundreds of the words removed in the chart and I wouldn't have a clue.  I also wonder what the last UK number 1 to have an electric guitar solo on it was.

I follow quite a few music forums covering a wide range of genres and it seems more and more people are losing their interest in music. I ask myself maybe it's because there's too much choice, or maybe we're just going through a period where there isn't much to get excited about, can't say I can remember the last time I heard a new album that I thought was genuinely great.

Edited by useless

Â