Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Wow. 

don't get them in the slightest, listened to back to black and does nothing for me, maybe know 3 of their songs, up their with led zep as a band that I can see why they were so popular so im not branding them as overrated but I just don't think they're very good

always thought they were Scottish thanks to the brothers

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Having now gone down a Wikipedia rabbit hole, I bring you the happy news that they did a similar list in Japan, but didn't restrict it to Japanese people. My favourite tidbit from that is that the 12th most popular person in history in Japan appears to be Princess Di!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Top_100_Historical_Persons_in_Japan

This reminds me of the Takashi Miike film 'The Happiness of the Katakuri's', which has a clearly Japanese con-man who pretends to be in 'the American Navy, or to be more precise, the British Royal Navy' and gets a girl's number by uttering the immortal line 'By order of Queen Elizabeth, give me your cell phone number'. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

don't get them in the slightest, listened to back to black and does nothing for me, maybe know 3 of their songs, up their with led zep as a band that I can see why they were so popular so im not branding them as overrated but I just don't think they're very good

always thought they were Scottish thanks to the brothers

Yep, me too, thought they were a northern/scottish. Which they are really. With some welsh and american chucked in. 

I know nothing about AC/DC.

Edited by Ingram85

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

didn't even know AC/DC were aussies

To be fair, the bulk of the main AC/DC members were born in Scotland (Angus & Malcolm Young and Bon Scott) or Wales!

3 hours ago, Xela said:

To be fair, the bulk of the main AC/DC members were born in Scotland (Angus & Malcolm Young and Bon Scott) or Wales!

Bon Scott was born in Freemantle, its Brian Johnson that was British, he was born in a small town in Scotland (that we beat the other day)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Bon Scott was born in Freemantle, its Brian Johnson that was British, he was born in a small town in Scotland (that we beat the other day)

According to wiki (it may be incorrect) it says he was born in Forfar and died in London, although was based in Freemantle, which is where his grave is. 

Just now, Xela said:

According to wiki (it may be incorrect) it says he was born in Forfar and died in London, although was based in Freemantle, which is where his grave is. 

SHit your right, I always thought he was an Aussie. So only the mental drummer was actually an Aussie, in either of the classic line-ups

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Fremantle.I posted a pic of his statue there a while back. Freemantle with 2 e's is Southampton uk. The Youngs were Scots, too.

On 29/11/2019 at 07:23, Xann said:

Australia strikes me as a nation that's historically been mostly content with pub Rock.

That's changed, I think. There's loads of good Aussie indie and even Pop acts now. Though they seem strangely obsessed with Paul Kelly, of "Making Gravy" ahem, "fame".

But back to the indie stuff, theres king gizzard and the lizard wizard, Courtney Barnett, Jen Cloher, Luluc, the stroppies, Julia Jacklin, Nick Cave & the bad seeds and some with sweary names.

Anyway, Luluc

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Technically true. But that's like saying the BeeGees were from Manchester. 

The joke didn’t work once I discovered Bon Scott was actually British too.I'd class them as Aussie personally

Oh the BeeGees is far more debatable  though. Formed their first group in the UK before they emigrated. Only really had one minor hit in Aus before coming back.

Â