Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Just now, villa4europe said:

I did type "turns out my German missus cant get enough of the cheddar" but deleted it expecting that response

Seriously she loves cheddar...

I was just waiting for my opportunity! A discussion about cheese was always going to bring up the chance to use Kenneth! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

12 boys in my primary school class including myself.

5 Villa, 4 baggies, 1 Man Utd, 1 who didn’t like football and 1 who switched from Villa to baggies to please a girl he fancied.

Couldn't give the exact numbers (shit, it was a LONG time ago!), but I can confidently state that my primary school class was split: 2 Villa, and the rest small heath. First time I met anyone supporting any other team was the day after the 1968 European Cup Final, when a slightly younger kid in the school started declaring support for ManUre. I was incredulous. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

75% of the boys in my junior school (late 80's) supported Liverpool. 

I'd like to think they moved to a more local team once Kenny left and they fell from grace

For sure after 20 years of supporting Man Utd they will have had a brief fling with Chelsea which would have felt just plain wrong before settling down with Citeh just waiting for the next shiny new thing to attract their attention. 

Could hardly tell you any of the clubs the boys in my first school supported. Don’t remember us playing or being that interested in football a great deal to be honest. 

In my middle school (we had a first, middle and high school system where I grew up), having looked at an a year photo, it’s a handful of Villa, handful of wolves, a few Man Utd, one Liverpool, one Blackburn (who literally just dropped them once they turned to shit - that action did reflect the character he would later become incidentally).

But really, looking at this school picture, of the 40 or so boys in my year, for probably just over half of them I no recollection of them ever being interested in football at all. Probably was one of the reasons why we didn’t have a very good team, a few decent players that would get into other another school’s side, but not a “team” as it were.

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's so much better that he didn't call that thread "Things that look like faces". 'Ice Rink' is now my standard term for the phenomenon. 

100% this. 

On an intellectual level, I am aware that the phenomenon is called Pareidolia but even my other half knows to get the camera phone ready when I shout “Ice rink”. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rodders said:

Gouda is great for something different

Just leaving this here

Gouda, or "How-da" as the locals say, is a Dutch cheese named after the city of Gouda in the Netherlands. If truth be told, it is one of the most popular cheeses in the world, accounting for 50 to 60 percent of the world's cheese consumption.

Cheese.com 

If that's remotely true, it's quite shocking

I don't often go on facebook, every few weeks.

Last time around I made the mistake of chiming in on the comment section of a friend of mine who is an indigenous woman.

She was making another post about white people. This one got under my skin and I questioned the truth of her claims (they were off the mark).

She engaged the discussion and it became apparent it was not going to be productive. She accused me of mansplaining, a term I was unaware of.

At that point I decided she was not going to see my POV, as she had also insinuated something about my lack of insight as I have never been on the receiving end.

I told her I was firm on where I stood in regards to her post but was going to end the discussion due to it being her platform and not my place to air my views.

Anyway, I wrote her a few days later to smooth over things as I very publicly scrutinised what she had said, she has a huge following.

I told her that whilst I am not a person of colour and will never know her experience like she does, that I have had my own struggles.

I told her I like to see all people for their talents, positives and potential and shared a story with her about another indigenous friend of mine.

She was very receptive to all this. And it really occurred to me that she has some complex feelings about her place in this world.

I don't blame her, recently Australia employs an envoy who is on record as saying the first fleet was 'good' for indigenous Australians.

It's tragic. Which brings me to what I often wonder, and that is what's with all the animosity?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I don't often go on facebook, every few weeks.

Last time around I made the mistake of chiming in on the comment section of a friend of mine who is an indigenous woman.

She was making another post about white people. This one got under my skin and I questioned the truth of her claims (they were off the mark).

She engaged the discussion and it became apparent it was not going to be productive. She accused me of mansplaining, a term I was unaware of.

At that point I decided she was not going to see my POV, as she had also insinuated something about my lack of insight as I have never been on the receiving end.

I told her I was firm on where I stood in regards to her post but was going to end the discussion due to it being her platform and not my place to air my views.

Anyway, I wrote her a few days later to smooth over things as I very publicly scrutinised what she had said, she has a huge following.

I told her that whilst I am not a person of colour and will never know her experience like she does, that I have had my own struggles.

I told her I like to see all people for their talents, positives and potential and shared a story with her about another indigenous friend of mine.

She was very receptive to all this. And it really occurred to me that she has some complex feelings about her place in this world.

I don't blame her, recently Australia employs an envoy who is on record as saying the first fleet was 'good' for indigenous Australians.

It's tragic. Which brings me to what I often wonder, and that is what's with all the animosity?

You were brave to even engage in that kind of topic online (even moreso as a white male).  Mine field, hornets nest.  Pick your analogy.  I wouldn't have gone near it.  I bet her responses in the public forum were much more aggressive than the ones afterwards in private. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

You were brave to even engage in that kind of topic online (even moreso as a white male).  Mine field, hornets nest.  Pick your analogy.  I wouldn't have gone near it.  I bet her responses in the public forum were much more aggressive than the ones afterwards in private. 

You know it.

It was love heart emoji's and 'all good' in private.

In public I was a mansplaining white man who does not know my history or my own heart.

She was so caught up in her racist dogma that she couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Accused me of mansplaining whilst she was the one condescending me at every opportunity.

I like her, I like her a lot. She's a fighter and a good one. She just needs to cut the racist shit and she could be a leader.

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 19:09, Xela said:

75% of the boys in my junior school (late 80's) supported Liverpool. 

I'd like to think they moved to a more local team once Kenny left and they fell from grace

I think over here it was more about Ian Rush. But I couldn't really tell them to support their local team, could I? 😛 

45 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Why Pepsi/Coke is very 'syrupy' in pubs from the pump dispenser.

Because it's made from syrup.

If it comes out of the dispenser, it's what's known in the trade as post-mix. In the back somewhere there are big bags of syrup, to which are added water and CO2 in the pub

It's not the same, the process has rarely worked properly but no one in the industry complains because the profit is HUGE. A pint of post-mix Coke costs about 5p to the pub. Don't feel guilty about not drinking, they make more money out of you than any other customer and you are drinking shite

• Like 4

One of my mates uncles had, as part of his job, to visit pubs and restaurants and test the Coke to see if it was being mixed correctly. I never understood what could actually be done if they were **** it up or fiddling it, but he apparently did spend a lot of time going round the country testing pints of Coke.

Â