Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

39 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Similar to when an English person offers an American a ‘fag’.

Not to mention those delightful offal based meatballs,  faggots

Why would you be offering an American a junior boy from a Public School?

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Similar to when an English person offers an American a ‘fag’.

Not to mention those delightful offal based meatballs,  faggots

I like playing up to this in America by telling people I'm just popping out to smoke a fag :thumb:

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I like playing up to this in America by telling people I'm just popping out to smoke a fag :thumb:

"Can I bum a fag?"

"Wait, to be clear, I'm just asking for a spare cigarette"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Accents and generations are interesting. Normally, I'd say second generation immigrant kids - assuming they're spending time with indigenous kids - talk like their friends (i.e. with a local accent), and not at all like their parents. This is, in my experience, a major factor in acceptance by the local community. 'Talking like us', and not like a 'funny foreigner' seems to make a big difference (I'd be interested to hear the opinions of VTers with experience of this). 

What I find curious are the ones who don't adopt a local accent, but consciously affect something like the pseudo-gangsta/Asian/estuary hybrid. I guess it's a deliberate 'nobody likes us and we don't care' strategy to self-define as 'outsiders'. 

The best friend of an old girlfriend of mine was pure Brummie as far as I thought until I went to her house for the first time and she suddenly broke out into a thick Glaswegian brogue with her parents.

WTF was that all about I asked after we left.

Turned out they moved from Glasgow to Brum when she was 13 and she got so fed up with everyone asking her to "say something" that she just completely adopted a Brummie accent. 

Edited by sidcow

Going back to @mjmooneys last comment, the spread of all. Kids talking in this fake Gangsta accent is really really annoying me. It's actually killing regional or ethnic accents in a whole generation of kidz. 

The only place you know for absolutely sure they don't come from is anywhere in The West Indies. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MrDuck said:

You can also by Coon cheese here in Oz!

Quite ironic that in a country with such deeply entrenched racism, words like wog or coon are used perfectly innocently ?

Seen in WA on my trip out there in Jan. The locals couldn't see what the fuss was about. 

I do like that they refer to gingers as "rangas" as in orangutan though !

20180802_222641.jpg

7 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Seen in WA on my trip out there in Jan. The locals couldn't see what the fuss was about. 

20180802_222641.jpg

To be honest I think it's pretty disgraceful that they sell that over there.  Vegan cheese?

I remember getting a taxi in Sydney and had the most racist driver I've ever encountered.  Coon,  wog (and many others like ragheads) still seemed to be used in a racist way by that idiot, and usually about his colleagues.

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

1200px-Tian_Tan_Buddha_by_Beria.jpg

Ngong Ping, Lantau Island, Hong Kong

An intense debate on Quora (https://www.quora.com/Why-are-some-statues-of-Buddha-fat-and-others-skinny) suggests that the fat figure is not Siddhartha Gautama (the real historical figure referred to as 'Buddha', which is a title) at all, but instead a traditional Chinese (?) god (?) named Bodai (?) who represents fertility and happiness and may have become confused with the actual 'Buddha' over time, either by accident or malice.

Hope that helps!

I nearly died climbing up the hill in the Hong Kong heat to see that one on Lantau Island many many years ago!

6 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I've known the word 'ranga' for 20 odd years, never knew it was derived from Orangutan.

Makes sense. They have a lot in common as a species.

Solitary lifestyle, less aggressive than other species but when provoked their hair takes over and fiery fits of rage with super strength come over them.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MrDuck said:

I nearly died climbing up the hill in the Hong Kong heat to see that one on Lantau Island many many years ago!

Me too! Don't remember much about it except that it had good views from the base, that there were a ton of shops selling tat nearby, and that I liked Lantau Island more than I was expecting. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Me too! Don't remember much about it except that it had good views from the base, that there were a ton of shops selling tat nearby, and that I liked Lantau Island more than I was expecting. 

Lantau was a welcome bit of peace and quiet after the madness that is Hong Kong!

On 03/08/2018 at 09:46, MrDuck said:

Lantau was a welcome bit of peace and quiet after the madness that is Hong Kong!

HK madness is what it is all about! 

Made me nostalgic for crazy nights in Wanchai and Lan Kwai Fong. 

Speaking of @Demitri_C...

I have wondered this for a few years, I’m just gonna bite the bullet and ask, Dem, who is the woman in your avatar? 

I’ve been waiting patiently for ages for it to be have been mentioned in passing and I could pretend to myself I knew it all along. But it’s seemingly not going to happen. 

Â