Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

Found myself voting for Hughes on that list. Hughes would be more likely to get us back into europe than, say, be in the relegation mix with only a couple of games to go. He's a winner, media friendly, available.

Though to be honest, none of us can possibly know how any appointment will pan out. We could employ Jesus only to find out previous miracles were over stated.

Whoever it is (and if it's McClaren you just have to be there for the first game in the rain), a portion of the pointlessly frenzied brigade won't like it. Whoever it is, I'll let results cloud my opinions.

I tend to support Aston Villa more than the current personnel. Whoever is appointed it will be more or less temporary when compared with my 40+ years of involvement.

how would people feel about Hughes bringing along Bellamy?

Good luck and best wishes, next guy.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Tim Abraham said on Twitter, no one thought we would splash the cash like we did for Bent, so you can never rule out Ancelotti and Wilkins until someone comes out with a statement! Fingers crossed. I'd be happy with Ancelotti or Hughes!

Hughes showed at city he can spot foreign talent and with fulham and Blackburn showed he can play decent football. He is also someone who I think would bring back that fighting spirit that houllier pretty much destroyed. I think Hughes would be a good appointment.

I'm sure I remember a couple of ITK people tell me that Mark Hughes was very much on Randy Lerner's radar when MON walked out,

but he'd literally just signed a contract with Fulham, a few days before.

I think it will be Hughes... I actually stood in front of him and his wife/GF at Mancs airport the week he left Blackburn for Manchester City.

They were flying back from Faro..

I couldn't help thinking what a misery guts, because he never smiled once. However I suppose he'd got a lot on his plate.

Warming to Hughes to be honest. Not sure it will make people stand up and go wow but it's a steady solid option

Ancelotti would be my choice but I really can't see it.

A bit of a left field one but Gus Poyet seems to be going about things the right way down at Brighton, might be too soon for him though

Didn't Hughes sell Dunne to us? Be interesting to see what happens if they link up again. Also would that mean Ireland would still have a future with us? He played his best stuff under Hughes, he was one of the best players in the league under Hughes! Some food for thought!

I think Villa need a Bent like moment like we had in the January transfer window. Signing up a Jol, Hughes, McClaren will not really excite the fans, but ancelotti and wilkin partnership will send out a message to the rest of the Prem and make them stand up and take notice, if not I be happy with Coyle or Moyes and Benitez as well.

I came on to write exactly this word for word, though definitely not Benitez. Let's remember that Benitez took a Houllier team and made it worse... imagine what would happen to us if he made us even worse!!

But you are right, a manager to unite our fractured club is needed, and therefore it needs to be a very popular decision. This rules out Mclaren and possibly even Hughes IMO.

UTV

Hughes signed Kompany, De jong, Given, Tevez, Lescott and Barry. I think he's decent in the transfer market

He had unlimited funds, anyone could make those signings with unlimited funds - he won't be able to make signings like that here.

Hughes signed Kompany, De jong, Given, Tevez, Lescott and Barry. I think he's decent in the transfer market

All poor signings..

Anyone can sign them if they have money because they were high profile..Where is skill in these signings? And how will that help a club like Villa?

Where in those signings does it shout out "this is the man for us"? Are you saying a man that comes in and says he wants to buy Charles N'Zogbia for instance for 10m is a good manager?

OR

Would you prefer a manager that can sign a player twice as good as N'Zogbia for half the price because he has the connections and knowledge in the game?

You need to seriously open your eyes..

Teams like Lille,Marseille and Lyon are selling players like Malouda, Essien, Nasri, Benzema for shit loads yet they have ready made replacements in the back door to come through. These teams remain at the same strength after selling these super players to big Premiership clubs..

Managers like Deschamps will be able to kit Villa out with great players at cheap prices..These players will make your eyes pop out. And the good news will be that Deschamps will be at a club where he dosnt have to sell them on, he can add to them..

He had unlimited funds, anyone could make those signings with unlimited funds - he won't be able to make signings like that here.

Kompany and de Jong were two great signings and didn't cost a fortune.

Also players like Ireland bentley played their best football under him so I'd be confident he would get the best out of a lot of our squad.

With a bit of ambition id go for Andre Villas-Boas or Ancelotti, but being Villa Moyes, Jol, Hughes for me in that order.

We could only dream of Villas-Boas :( Although he has a 15 million euro release clause in his contract! source