Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

I'm a long term admirer of Moyes. Does anyone remember the way he got Preston North End playing? It was great to watch. Just imagine a Villa player saying no to Moyes in training or on matchdays .... then stand back and light the blue touch paper!

Hughes has a fair bit of passion too. Hughes and Moyes have the temperament that makes me think players would want to play for them and they could inspire them!

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fulham have been in negotiations with Hughes over a new deal for some time and are determined to fight to keep him at the club.

When asked about Hughes's future, a club spokesman said today: "The position remains the same and we are focused on next season."

I think Sparky will thrive at Villa.
So do I. Right man, right club, right time.

Then again, I was always pro-Houllier, so 90% of VTers will disagree with me.

Didier Deschamps is the man I want for the job and I think he would be perfect but a bit of a risk.

He has managed Monaco, Juventus and Marseille. He got Monaco to the Champions League final in 2004 where they lost to Jose Mourinho's Porto. He then took over Juventus who were in the Serie B following the match fixing scandal.

He quit after he took them straight up to Serie A due to disagreements with the board.

Two years later he managed Marseille and made them Ligue 1 champions for the first time in 18 years. Recently he has been linked with the AS Roma job and is said to be in talks with them.

Moyes for me would be a safe but at least a bit ambitious choice but Mark Hughes would be very dull and safe one. I didn't do a very good job with Manchester City but has done OK with Fulham I suppose.

Ancelotti would be a bit of a coup but does he have the know how to manage a mid table club like Villa. Has he ever been fully in charge of transfers?

Why is Hughes third favourite? Come on people, look at that list.

We are but we are being realistic.

well Krulak has already said he informs Lerner of the fans concerns etc..

So lets say Krulak looks in on this thread to get a rough idea of a fans favourite..And then see's Hughes as a 2nd fav with the fans..

He could go straight to boardroom and say "the fans will love Hughes"..

Why not Give them a man to hunt down and fight for, instead of the easy option. :winkold:

Why is Hughes third favourite? Come on people, look at that list.

We are but we are being realistic.

well Krulak has already said he informs Lerner of the fans concerns etc..

So lets say Krulak looks in on this thread to get a rough idea of a fans favourite..And then see's Hughes as a 2nd fav with the fans..

He could go straight to boardroom and say "the fans will love Hughes"..

Why not Give them a man to hunt down and fight for, instead of the easy option. :winkold:

He'd be right though as he's got the highest votes of the managers available.

moyes all day for me, ancelotti will be amazing but at the same time no doubt in 2 summers time he'll be the next one we moan about jumping ship for a bit of cash, i really dont want him but hughes is where id be putting my money

Are we supposed to be voting for who we want, or who we think it will be?

Sadly, I think it will be Hughes. But I'd prefer any of the established names on that list to him (i.e. Ancelloti, Moyes, Jol, Benitez, Deschamps) or one of the less experienced like Coyle/Martinez. Hell, I'd even prefer McClaren. Hughes is just so, so uninspiring; too often he just sets out to avoid defeat - he had all the money in the world with City & built a team that drew all the time. And he spends every post-match interview whining about referees. Fulham had an okay season (though spent the first half of it drawing with everyone), but a late run of form put a gloss on it, much like ours. And he basically just continued with Hodgson's team.

People talk like we are in a dire situation where safety & stability is paramount, but the season is finished and we've got a whole summer ahead to start fresh. The squad is going to change considerably whoever we get, as we've already lost several squad members. Now is the time to get someone who has a real idea about how to re-shape a side over time - not just settle for a 'safe pair of hands' to settle us down into stable midtable mediocrity.

Someone mentioned Klinsmann (and he's been linked in the past). That would be a far more exciting choice. Someone who wants to play attacking football & build an ethos into the team. It might take longer & be riskier, but at least it should lead to more excitement about the club..

Answering the question of "who I would want" the answer is Moyes every time. It will be Hughes though and I wouldn't be disappointed by that, he did wonders for Wales and I hold him in high regard because of it.

As long as it's not McLaren or some other useless tool.

Hughes would be depressing. If you want to keep your best players you need to bring in a manager like Ancelotti who demands respect and the players see the ambition. Sure he'd cost more but he's willing to stay in england and manage a non CL club.

Hughes transfer signings have not been that great generally and this squad needs an overhaul...also means collins will startt every game as cb again..

Id rather moyes jol etc over him.